The Student Room Group

Thoughts on Veganism

Hey everyone

I've recently been watching freelee the banana girl on YouTube and what she has to say about Veganism and it's making me consider going vegan.

I recently made the commitment to buy only cruelty free cosmetics and beauty products and to be honest, I haven't found making that switch hard. There are fantastic brands out there like Illamasqua and Lush that provide cruelty free options.

I was wondering however, how people who have gone vegan have found the transition? How did you make the transition and what sort of things do you eat differently?

I'm also concerned about having a big meat eater for a boyfriend. I know he'd support my decision if I did decide to make the transition to go vegan, but with the possibility of us living together in the coming years, how difficult is it for a vegan and a meat eater to live together? And what about eating out, what are the options there?

Feel free to leave any opinions below :smile:
Reply 1
I have been a vegetarian for year but vegan is too much for me
Reply 2
Original post by M14B
I have been a vegetarian for year but vegan is too much for me

See I think cutting out dairy will be easier. There's lots of alternatives nowadays in terms of almond milk and coconut milk and there's vegan cheese. I also don't really eat eggs anyway. I think it would be more difficult for me to eat meals without meat when I could be living with someone who eats meat with every meal. I also think I'll find giving up fish harder than giving up meat
Reply 3
Original post by Hann95
See I think cutting out dairy will be easier. There's lots of alternatives nowadays in terms of almond milk and coconut milk and there's vegan cheese. I also don't really eat eggs anyway. I think it would be more difficult for me to eat meals without meat when I could be living with someone who eats meat with every meal. I also think I'll find giving up fish harder than giving up meat

I love my cheese, so impossible for me!
vegans are phaggots
Reply 5
Thanks for your constructive input
Reply 6
Check out bonnyrebecca as well, she is amazing! And 'hot for food', best youtube vegan recipes channel.
As for transition, it's really up to you. Just do your research and go shopping! :smile:
For eating out check out HappyCow website, it shows options in your city. Also, you can always call restaurant in advance to let them know you're vegan(or better, say you're allergic :biggrin:) and ask if they could prepare something for you. Good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by tirlimpam
Check out bonnyrebecca as well, she is amazing! And 'hot for food', best youtube vegan recipes channel.
As for transition, it's really up to you. Just do your research and go shopping! :smile:
For eating out check out HappyCow website, it shows options in your city. Also, you can always call restaurant in advance to let them know you're vegan(or better, say you're allergic :biggrin:) and ask if they could prepare something for you. Good luck!

Thank you!
Original post by Hann95
Hey everyone

I've recently been watching freelee the banana girl on YouTube and what she has to say about Veganism and it's making me consider going vegan.

I recently made the commitment to buy only cruelty free cosmetics and beauty products and to be honest, I haven't found making that switch hard. There are fantastic brands out there like Illamasqua and Lush that provide cruelty free options.

I was wondering however, how people who have gone vegan have found the transition? How did you make the transition and what sort of things do you eat differently?

I'm also concerned about having a big meat eater for a boyfriend. I know he'd support my decision if I did decide to make the transition to go vegan, but with the possibility of us living together in the coming years, how difficult is it for a vegan and a meat eater to live together? And what about eating out, what are the options there?

Feel free to leave any opinions below :smile:

watch vegangains
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaYo5T-xnVw
I don't care, but if you try shoving it down my throat and make everything about being vegan, that's a problem.
Reply 10
Original post by TheTechN1304
I don't care, but if you try shoving it down my throat and make everything about being vegan, that's a problem.

That's totally irrelevant. Where in this post have I said everyone should go vegan? I was asking for tips on transitioning and being with other meat eaters. Take your prejudices away from my thread please.
Reply 11

Thanks, I'll check them out :smile:
Don't mind vegans too much but I can't stand the ones who try to enforce it on other people and don't appreciate the effort others make for them when making food.

Anyway, I found this AMAZING website which basically has a vegan restaurant in London and all their junk food is vegan! And go on the vegan society website as well. They have nice recipes on there :smile:
I'd say cutting out dairy is the best way to start as you don't realise how much dairy is in things! Almond milk and soya milk are great alternatives and it means I can still have lattes and tea. Cheese isn't that big of an issue to me, yes I miss it but I've lost weight by not eating it which is a huge bonus!

I know a vegan who lives with a meat eater and they don't seem to have problems. When they go out they order different things and if he wants meat he has to cook it himself. She cooks a lot but he doesn't complain about the meals she makes because vegan food can be great! Oh She Glows has great recipes too.

I'm not fully vegan but I do try and cut as much animal produce from my diet as possible and it's not actually that hard. There's a vegan alternative for everything! I love vegan mac and cheese and vegan bolognese. Stir fries, lasagne, pasta salad, pasta bakes, veggie fingers and chips, veggie burgers, vegan Thai curry, vegan curry there are so many options! Vegan food is definitely not boring.

I do watch Freelee but I could never do RawTill4 where she eats like 20 mangos or bananas for breakfast, I don't think that's ideal. But smoothies are great for breakfast or as an afternoon snack. Vegan yoghurts are good too. There's literally nothing you're going to miss out on my by being vegan. Tesco and Morrisons also do vegan cornettos which are amazing!

As for eating out Zizzis do a vegan pizza which is so good! And Morrisons have just come out with a cheese free Mediterranean pizza. Most chains will offer a vegan menu or option. Handmade burger, Wagamama and Las Iguanas are places I've been recently that do great vegan options. I would say places like Frankie and Benny's and TGI Fridays are rubbish for vegans with like 1 crappy option.

I'd also recommend checking out facebook groups such as "Vegan Supermarket Finds (UK)" and I'm sure there will be a local vegan group to your town. They offer great advice and post pictures of things they find. You don't have to miss out anything. There is cheese out there, ice cream and M&S do a great range of vegan jelly sweets. It can be cheap too I know a lot of people say veganism is more expensive but it definitely isn't. Meat is so expensive so when you cut it out of your diet, you're cutting a huge amount. I know it might be a bit pricey with you living with a meat eater, but you never know you might slowly bring him round. There's also a lot of vegan shower gels and stuff, so you don't have to be stinky!

I hope this was helpful :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by bethwalker85
I'd say cutting out dairy is the best way to start as you don't realise how much dairy is in things! Almond milk and soya milk are great alternatives and it means I can still have lattes and tea. Cheese isn't that big of an issue to me, yes I miss it but I've lost weight by not eating it which is a huge bonus!

I know a vegan who lives with a meat eater and they don't seem to have problems. When they go out they order different things and if he wants meat he has to cook it himself. She cooks a lot but he doesn't complain about the meals she makes because vegan food can be great! Oh She Glows has great recipes too.

I'm not fully vegan but I do try and cut as much animal produce from my diet as possible and it's not actually that hard. There's a vegan alternative for everything! I love vegan mac and cheese and vegan bolognese. Stir fries, lasagne, pasta salad, pasta bakes, veggie fingers and chips, veggie burgers, vegan Thai curry, vegan curry there are so many options! Vegan food is definitely not boring.

I do watch Freelee but I could never do RawTill4 where she eats like 20 mangos or bananas for breakfast, I don't think that's ideal. But smoothies are great for breakfast or as an afternoon snack. Vegan yoghurts are good too. There's literally nothing you're going to miss out on my by being vegan. Tesco and Morrisons also do vegan cornettos which are amazing!

As for eating out Zizzis do a vegan pizza which is so good! And Morrisons have just come out with a cheese free Mediterranean pizza. Most chains will offer a vegan menu or option. Handmade burger, Wagamama and Las Iguanas are places I've been recently that do great vegan options. I would say places like Frankie and Benny's and TGI Fridays are rubbish for vegans with like 1 crappy option.

I'd also recommend checking out facebook groups such as "Vegan Supermarket Finds (UK)" and I'm sure there will be a local vegan group to your town. They offer great advice and post pictures of things they find. You don't have to miss out anything. There is cheese out there, ice cream and M&S do a great range of vegan jelly sweets. It can be cheap too I know a lot of people say veganism is more expensive but it definitely isn't. Meat is so expensive so when you cut it out of your diet, you're cutting a huge amount. I know it might be a bit pricey with you living with a meat eater, but you never know you might slowly bring him round. There's also a lot of vegan shower gels and stuff, so you don't have to be stinky!

I hope this was helpful :smile:

That was extremely helpful, thank you!

Yeah I'm not sure about the raw til 4 thing either, but I totally get what she's saying when people have tried Veganism and said they've felt sluggish, tired etc because they've been eating the same amount that they would as a meat eater but plant based foods are lower in calories generally so you have to eat more. She really has helped me to see the cruelty of the meat and dairy industry and its something I don't think I can ignore.

Definitely glad to hear I can still have ice cream and pasta haha! I've never been to wagamamas so it'll definitely be an excuse to try it :

Thanks so much for your advice :smile:
It's as big a deal as you make it.

My dad eats everything and my mum does not, and it needn't come up in conversation because they don't get into each other's business and tell each other what they should or shouldn't be eating. It's a personal choice which shouldn't affect other people. If they can survive over twenty years of marriage without ever needing to argue about it, I'm sure you will be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending