The Student Room Group
Hi, Student Room! My name is Laure Bonner and I am the communications officer for the Department of Archaeology and Anthropology at the University of Cambridge. We will be live on this thread all week to answer all of those questions you may have about studying Archaeology, Biological Anthropology, Assyriology and/or Egyptology at Cambridge.

The thread will be monitored several times a day, 9am-5pm UK time, and Professor John Robb and Dr Susanne Hakenbeck will be providing the answers. So whether you want to know more about our new Archaeology tripos, admissions and interviews, our Archaeology Summer School, current research, Open Days & Access Events, subject-specific info, or any other related questions do get in touch. We look forward to hearing from you!

-Laure :smile:
Hello,
I'm looking at the course's Assyriology subject track for a 2016 application- on the course page it's stated that a Classics paper can be taken in the second year- would you know if this can be a Latin paper? And can Classics papers be taken in the first and/or third years?
One more thing- for the colleges that require them, how long should the essays to be sent in be?
Thanks!
Hello! Thanks for your questions.

You can only take the specified Classics archaeology papers (there is one specified for 2nd year, a general Classical archaeology paper, and two for the third year, Roman Cities and Aegean Bronze Age) -- not Latin and none in the first year. I'm not actually sure if there's anywhere in the UK where you can take cuneiform and Latin, but it's an interesting combination. :smile:

Regarding essays for colleges, they can be any length. Most students send in one of their best works of school work, (sometimes even with teachers' comments in the margins)! It really does not matter too much as long as it shows off what students think and what their academic skills and strengths are.

Hope that helps. Let us know if you have any further queries.

Best,
John
Reply 4
Hi,
Which college would you suggest for archaeology and do you have any tips for the admissions assessment?
Thanks!
Hi,

Thanks for the questions. Firstly, all undergraduate colleges offer the archaeology course. When choosing your college you should consider its location, size, sporting/music facilities etc. Each college is different, so you can really make it a personal decision based on the kinds of things you're interested in.

Regarding the admissions assessment: students will have to sit a one-hour written test on the day of their interview which will involve reading a short passage and answering questions on it. You can't really revise, as we don't test for knowledge, but good read some books on archaeology and find out what's currently happening. You could also visit some sites and think about how material world affects people. Also, showing enthusiasm and passion for the subject is important.The test is just one element of a wider portfolio of information we are interested in.

I hope that helps answer your questions!

Best,
Sue
What is the difference between the new course and what it was when archaeology was included in HSPS? Why will it stand on its own now?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Hello Cambridge Wizards,

What is the best archeology joke you know?

Mine is:

Most mothers tell their daughters to marry doctors...I told mine to marry an archeologist because the older she gets,the more interested he will be in her.

Enjoy (Ps Im not bitter at all from being rejected from Cambridge pfft.. Im totally over it)
Is this tread alive? Can I ask some questions?

Latest