The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mollyadtr
That's crazy, I wish more people were involved in politics like we are so they'd understand what's going on in parliament is actually affecting themPosted from TSR Mobile
That's the society we live in, sadly. In my opinion, there isn't enough done about political education in schools. My History teacher (who's in his mid-60s) once said that we do have means of learning about politics through CCW. I laugh at that, because CCW as a subject is ridiculous. It's worth half a GCSE if I remember correctly, and in my experience, I learned barely anything about politics. Maybe when you're allowed to vote, but that's about it. The subject, to me, feels like it's constantly screaming "What is my purpose?" Funny thing is, I didn't even end up getting a GCSE out of it because I was pulled out. But the mock was pretty straight forward.
Reply 601
Does anyone know how likely it is for Judiciary to come up as the 40 Marker??
Original post by UKStudent17
That's the society we live in, sadly. In my opinion, there isn't enough done about political education in schools. My History teacher (who's in his mid-60s) once said that we do have means of learning about politics through CCW. I laugh at that, because CCW as a subject is ridiculous. It's worth half a GCSE if I remember correctly, and in my experience, I learned barely anything about politics. Maybe when you're allowed to vote, but that's about it. The subject, to me, feels like it's constantly screaming "What is my purpose?" Funny thing is, I didn't even end up getting a GCSE out of it because I was pulled out. But the mock was pretty straight forward.

preach it

seriously tho, Scotland has modern studies since year 7 right? England needs something similar. citizenship is taught since year 7 but its ****ing pointless because it covers everything from sex ed to human rights and british values.
Reply 603
is the draft investigatory powers bill the same as the snoopers chart? if so thats good news

Indeed the same but essentially a watered down version of the original idea proposed during the 2010-15 coalition. It's proposals are currently being overseen and scrutinised by a join parliamentary committee.
Original post by popcornjpg
anyone else here watch PMQs?

havent had my fix for 2 weeks, looking forward to tomorrow.

deffo gonna watch it tomorrow for some proper contemporary examples to impress the exam marker

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tej98
Indeed the same but essentially a watered down version of the original idea proposed during the 2010-15 coalition. It's proposals are currently being overseen and scrutinised by a join parliamentary committee.

Ahh I see, I'm so glad it hasn't yet gained Royal assent...bloody hope it doesn't as well, don't trust Cameron or any torie with my personal search history and so on
I admire your formality and proper sentence structure too I'm far too lazy when typing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by UKStudent17

That completely reminds of sociology and how Marxists suggest society is just a total fix and we're indoctrinated into the ideology that makes us passive and so on...the hoped there would be a revolution many decades ago however I don't think there's much evidence of it happening in the near future

Posted from TSR Mobile
preach it

seriously tho, Scotland has modern studies since year 7 right? England needs something similar. citizenship is taught since year 7 but its ****ing pointless because it covers everything from sex ed to human rights and british values.

I agree there is defiantly need for a citizens study specifically for politics that's compulsory especially to make people more aware of how important democracy is and having your own judgement on politics/actually understanding how it affects your daily life.... The sex ed is also awful in the uk compared to other countries 😕

Posted from TSR Mobile
That completely reminds of sociology and how Marxists suggest society is just a total fix and we're indoctrinated into the ideology that makes us passive and so on...the hoped there would be a revolution many decades ago however I don't think there's much evidence of it happening in the near future

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol I don't think the reality is that extreme, I just think the Tories aren't favouring it because young people to support Labour and be left-wing, so it isn't in their interests to promote political education among the young

also their academy and free school policies mean that forcing schools to do politics would be hypocritical, since they consistently advocate that schools should be able to decide for themselves if they want to follow the national curriculum or not.

either way it sucks :/
Reply 609
Ahh I see, I'm so glad it hasn't yet gained Royal assent...bloody hope it doesn't as well, don't trust Cameron or any torie with my personal search history and so on
I admire your formality and proper sentence structure too I'm far too lazy when typing

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't really support it, it breaches rather a lot of privacy and goes against many civil liberties despite the Tories arguing that it is compatible with the contents of the ECHR. I was however supportive of the Freedom of Information Act of Blair's 1997-01 govt, was an excellent measure and has allowed more of government workings to be exposed. I do agree with you though that I would not consider in any means letting a Conservative government pander with personal data comms of both myself or anyone around me for that matter.

As for the formality, well it's just a habit I can be lazy at times but call me somewhat complacent in manner of speech. I prefer not to delve into slang where I can haha!
Hi! I'm resitting this unit this year so ofc my focus has been on my a2 units mostly. I've crammed everything but don't really have an idea of any predictions because I haven't had any guidance as such this year. If there are predictions for the 4 areas they would be much appreciated, thanks
lol I don't think the reality is that extreme, I just think the Tories aren't favouring it because young people to support Labour and be left-wing, so it isn't in their interests to promote political education among the young

also their academy and free school policies mean that forcing schools to do politics would be hypocritical, since they consistently advocate that schools should be able to decide for themselves if they want to follow the national curriculum or not.

either way it sucks :/

I know I go a bit mental over society sometimes cause of sociology 😂 but you're right, especially because conservative core is mainly older people anyway, conservative is slowly beginning to target young people but still might be drifting from typical working class

But what the Tories are doing with education aren't going down too well they've had to u turn on turning all schools into academies and that, I hate how they've just turned academies for marketisation purposes I liked them better when they were for reducing inequalities.... but one could argue different!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tej98
I don't really support it, it breaches rather a lot of privacy and goes against many civil liberties despite the Tories arguing that it is compatible with the contents of the ECHR. I was however supportive of the Freedom of Information Act of Blair's 1997-01 govt, was an excellent measure and has allowed more of government workings to be exposed. I do agree with you though that I would not consider in any means letting a Conservative government pander with personal data comms of both myself or anyone around me for that matter.

As for the formality, well it's just a habit I can be lazy at times but call me somewhat complacent in manner of speech. I prefer not to delve into slang where I can haha!

Yeah I agree freedom of information act was a very important act that provides transparency, I can't believe they say the snoopers chart complies with the human rights act I don't know how...I just don't know how it doesn't breach the right of privacy but if the court has ruled it that way then who am I to judge it

Haha no I like it! It's somewhat revitalising to read something actually readable...some of the ways people condense words and the slang they use I just can't wrap my head around it like 'vexed' I don't have a clue what that is and I don't think I entirely want to

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll be back tomorrow, I'm almost too tired to function right now😴

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 614
Yeah I agree freedom of information act was a very important act that provides transparency, I can't believe they say the snoopers chart complies with the human rights act I don't know how...I just don't know how it doesn't breach the right of privacy but if the court has ruled it that way then who am I to judge it

Haha no I like it! It's somewhat revitalising to read something actually readable...some of the ways people condense words and the slang they use I just can't wrap my head around it like 'vexed' I don't have a clue what that is and I don't think I entirely want to

Posted from TSR Mobile

Evaluate marxist contributions to the family #aqa #loves #us

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's crazy, I wish more people were involved in politics like we are so they'd understand what's going on in parliament is actually affecting them

Posted from TSR Mobile

THIS is why we need to lower the bleeding voting age!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alevelpain
How effectively are civil liberties protected was last years, so Human rights, how can judiciary check power of govt/conflict between judiciary and govt...I'd revise should judges be responsible for civil liberties just incase but those 4 definitely.

thank you I'll definitely revise all of them, I really hope this paper is easy and that theres no plot twist questions. 😂
is it just me who feels so unprepared for this

only easy questions can save me lol
Reply 618
How would you answer 'politicians instead of judges be in charge of civil liberties' or a question similar to that... Apart from the answer of 'politicians have legitimacy'... :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 619
Anyone doing PM and cabinet or Parliament? I'm hoping presidentialism/limits of PMs power or power of HoC comes as 25/40 marker

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending