The Student Room Group

Would universities look down on me dropping a particular subject?

Computer Science is crap at A-level. I'm not talking about the subject. We've never had a teacher for CompSci. I intend to do computer science at University and hopefully be applying to some of the top ones (Cambridge, Imperial, Durham) etc. I'm considering dropping computer science this year because I may not be able to get an A* in the subject next year ( I will however hopefully get an A this year). Would Universities look down at this and see that I only have this at AS-level. Technically you're not required to have Computer Science A-level to do it at Uni but could the fact that I dropped it be a problem?
Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Someboady
Computer Science is crap at A-level. I'm not talking about the subject. We've never had a teacher for CompSci. I intend to do computer science at University and hopefully be applying to some of the top ones (Cambridge, Imperial, Durham) etc. I'm considering dropping computer science this year because I may not be able to get an A* in the subject next year. Would Universities look down at this and see that I only have this at AS-level. Technically you're not required to have Computer Science A-level to do it at Uni but could the fact that I dropped it be a problem?
Thanks

no but unis like cambridge expect u to have 3 alevels and 1 as
the as has to be an A or u have no chance lol. These are competitive unis mate.
some of the best unis in the world.
I'm sure the majority of people doing the course do have A Level Computer Science (complete assumption) HOWEVER places are given based on grades so I'd say it's much more preferable that you get good grades across the board as opposed to a couple of good grades and a rubbish one in computer science due to your teaching situation. Hope that makes sense :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by xxx-ooo-xxx
I'm sure the majority of people doing the course do have A Level Computer Science (complete assumption) HOWEVER places are given based on grades so I'd say it's much more preferable that you get good grades across the board as opposed to a couple of good grades and a rubbish one in computer science due to your teaching situation. Hope that makes sense :smile:

Not too sure about that assumption, since Computer Science isn't an option yet for a lot of Sixth Form Colleges. I'm hopefully aiming for all A's this year, however an A* in Computer Science next year is questionable... thus it may be better to drop the subject?

Quick Reply