The Student Room Group

PGCE Post Compulsary Sector- Offer, am I making the right choice? Opinions?

Hi there,

I have been offered a salaried position for a 2 year part time PGCE-Post compulsory trainee teacher of business studies job, leading to a PGCE (without QTS).

You work part time teacher part time learning facilitator/assistant.You can apply for QTLS (QTS equivalent) after you have qualified and have to provide proof of learning whilst on the job- similar to an NQT year.

I am concerned whether to enter teaching and have a few questions that people might be able to help me with. I have worked in a commercial industry the last two years after graduating, great pay, boring, uninspiring, sat behind a PC most of the day. I basically have not enjoyed it at all.I looked at teaching as a way to escape this, make a difference, more interactive, rewarding. I understand how hard teachers work (hours) and the small rewards financially.

How fast can I progress through the pay scales when qualified (business studies)?

Will I be able to teach in secondary schools with my QTLS and how easy is it to achieve QTLS?

Are the long hours/high stress worth the comparably smaller salary?

Working in the Further education sector, is this a crumbling sector ie. budget cuts, will I struggle to find a job after my qualification (2 years)?

It will take be 6 years from now to earn what I am earning now, if I am worried about money should I continue?

What are the real benefits of teaching, to inspire me to continue?

What are the real negatives of teaching that would push me back to the private sector?

Is the course I am doing PGCE- Post compulsory sector really worth it, is it better just to do a PGCE or teach first and do it full time in a year? I guess it is almost like doing a 3 year pgce/NQT year?

I want to reach the top of teaching deputy/headmaster, is this a realistic expectation with hard work and talent?

I think my biggest concern is working for 2 years for a low salary to come out with a qualification in the further education sector which isnt relevant to secondary teaching, struggle to find a job, and then have a low salary for the next few years until I can reach at least 30k a year.

On the other hand, I hate being stuck behind a desk in an office, I have a business degree. There are no bursaries for Business Studies teachers and my only other realistic option is Teach First, which, I am not interested in. I have had an experience day in a secondary school and I have 3 days more experience days coming up in a secondary school. I feel like for me teaching is now or never, but should I experience more time in the private sector (even though it is dull and meaningless).

Please help I am at a major crossroad in my life and dont know what to do....
I'm going to answer as many of your questions as I can, but some of the questions don't have a defined answer and are really questions you should be asking and reflecting on yourself, rather than relying on a forum to tell you.

How fast can I progress through the pay scales when qualified (business studies)?
Depends where you work and how quickly you develop/take on additional responsibilities. With academisation, I get the impression this answer is a bit less clear than it used to be.

Will I be able to teach in secondary schools with my QTLS and how easy is it to achieve QTLS?
Yes, as I am sure you are aware, QTLS has parity with QTS. From talking to tutors, QTLS seems fairly straight forward to achieve.

This is completely personal and something you should really ask yourself before you pursue this endeavour. Teaching salaries aren't great and it is hard work, but the rewards are also there.

Working in the Further education sector, is this a crumbling sector ie. budget cuts, will I struggle to find a job after my qualification (2 years)?
I wouldn't presume to be able to predict the decisions of government over the next 2 years. You can teach in schools, though, so would be able to do that even if FE cuts continue.

It will take be 6 years from now to earn what I am earning now, if I am worried about money should I continue?
Given the amount you focus on it I don't know. I know a vast number of people who have become teachers and pay has not been the primary motivator for anyone. If you value money that much, teaching isn't the profession for you. Just think, in a year or two's time when you are stressed, tired, have a pile of marking and are earning loads less than you do now, are the feelings of enjoyment and fulfillment compensate for the fact that your bank account is significantly less coushy?

What are the real benefits of teaching, to inspire me to continue? What are the real negatives of teaching that would push me back to the private sector?
If you don't know the answers to these, you either haven't bothered researching enough or haven't done enough placements. A lot of these are fairly self-evident if you read about teaching or have done a lot of placements. If you are already thinking you might return to the private sector, I'm not sure you are approaching this with the right mindset...

Is the course I am doing PGCE- Post compulsory sector really worth it, is it better just to do a PGCE or teach first and do it full time in a year? I guess it is almost like doing a 3 year pgce/NQT year?
No, it isn't. If I had the choice for my course, I would hands-down do a 'normal' PGCE (one that imbues QTS). It is more widely recognised and would enable you to work in schools without anyone questioning your ability to do so.

I want to reach the top of teaching deputy/headmaster, is this a realistic expectation with hard work and talent?
No idea, but given that people are headmasters/headmistresses, I would presume so.

I think my biggest concern is working for 2 years for a low salary to come out with a qualification in the further education sector which isnt relevant to secondary teaching, struggle to find a job, and then have a low salary for the next few years until I can reach at least 30k a year.

It'll be relevant, you are teaching 14+ students normally on a PGCE PCET, so you will gain experience. Particularly in business where some schools may only start it at GCSE anyway. Again, you shouldn't be doing this switch for the salary, teaching just isn't a job where you are going to be earning great money. Though, there are jobs abroad where you can make a lot of money. One of my old teachers got offered 70k, plus accommodation, tax free somewhere in the ME. If you are that desperate for money, maybe something like that would suit you.

On the other hand, I hate being stuck behind a desk in an office, I have a business degree. There are no bursaries for Business Studies teachers and my only other realistic option is Teach First, which, I am not interested in. I have had an experience day in a secondary school and I have 3 days more experience days coming up in a secondary school. I feel like for me teaching is now or never, but should I experience more time in the private sector (even though it is dull and meaningless).
Why is your only other realistic option teach first? Have you not looked at other methods of doing a pgce such as the salaried option? Also, could you not take the hit and just live off savings and student finance for a year? Teaching shouldn't be a now or never thing, you can do a pgce whenever. If you wanted to try and different job/different area in the private sector, you could certainly do that and then try teaching.

If you feel like what you are doing now is "dull and meaningless" then teaching could certainly potentially fill that void. Given your focus on salary, however, teaching is not a 'have your cake and eat it' option.... you are going to make what a lot of people would consider 'good' money, but hardly 'great' money. Also, as it is a nationally scaled salary, living somewhere like Newcastle (like me!), would allow you to live a significantly better lifestyle than expensive places down south (e.g. Cambridge, Oxford) where you will earn the same salary but have a significantly higher cost of living.
(edited 7 years ago)
To be honest, I think you probably need to do more research. There is the straight 1 year salaried option (usually through a school direct) which would likely put you in a much better position.

Likewise if you've not been around children enough to know if teaching them will give you satisfaction then I would do that.

I'm actually kind of surprised you got made an offer, during my interview for a PGDE place the number one thing they were looking for was enthusiasm about teaching and being willing to put up with lower salary and hard work. Everything else was pretty much secondary.

I'd really advise doing some more research and make sure this is for you, rather than becoming another dropout statistic in a few months.
Original post by Elivercury
To be honest, I think you probably need to do more research. There is the straight 1 year salaried option (usually through a school direct) which would likely put you in a much better position.

Likewise if you've not been around children enough to know if teaching them will give you satisfaction then I would do that.

I'm actually kind of surprised you got made an offer, during my interview for a PGDE place the number one thing they were looking for was enthusiasm about teaching and being willing to put up with lower salary and hard work. Everything else was pretty much secondary.

I'd really advise doing some more research and make sure this is for you, rather than becoming another dropout statistic in a few months.

To be honest, this was my feeling when reading this post. I just wanted to try and answer all of his questions. It is easy to appear like you are really passionate/keen at interview, even if you aren't. If the OP doesn't figure themselves and does do it though, I imagine they'll be found wanting pretty soon.
Original post by StayEvergreen
To be honest, this was my feeling when reading this post. I just wanted to try and answer all of his questions. It is easy to appear like you are really passionate/keen at interview, even if you aren't. If the OP doesn't figure themselves and does do it though, I imagine they'll be found wanting pretty soon.

Yeah, pretty much.

To balance out the negativity of my last post, I would say that I can sympathise as someone who is doing a career change into teaching. It is scary, it'll be hard work and there are no guarantees I'll be able to "stick it".

But I want a challenge, I want something more active than sitting at a desk and I have enjoyed the activities I've done at school etc. helping to get children into STEM subjects. I also have a relatively good idea of what it is like because my wife is a teacher.

Likewise I am optimistic that the holidays will allow me to achieve a relatively decent work life balance in the future with kids and whatnot. I'm aware that the holidays are hardly work free, but being able to do it at home is a major advantage.
Thank you for your replies.

If there was another option for my feasibly I would probably do it. Financially this is really my only feasible option into teaching, business studies offers no grants, bursaries for me. I have checked with School Direct etc.

My major worry is that the course PGCE Post Compulsary Education is not the same as a normal PGCE. I need to be able to teach in secondary schools due to a relatively small FE market and there would be no guarantee that I can achieve this. It may take almost 3 years to achieve QTLS.....such a hard decision.
Personally I would be (and am) opting for a traditional PGCE myself.

I'm confused why you couldn't go through the schools direct (salaried) route? This route is pretty much designed for people changing careers who are unable to give up a salary and leads to QTS/PGCE. Placed may be closed for this year, but there is always next year - although by that point you could argue you may as well have done half your currently offered course.
The traditional PGCE would be ideal, however for business studies there are no grants, bursaries or salary routes available, I've double checked. The only one would be teach first which I am not keen on undertaking.

Yes there is next year and I may spend another year in industry and see what life brings! I am just worried about the limitations of the qualification potentially and want to give myself the best opportunity to succeed!
Sounds like a good opportunity op.

I'd urge you not to get bogged down with thoughts of pay rises and promotion. That comes with time.

If your current job has you climbing the walls with boredom and you can live off what the pgce would pay you then I think this is a good opportunity.
Reply 9
Original post by Teachhelpme123
Hi there,

I have been offered a salaried position for a 2 year part time PGCE-Post compulsory trainee teacher of business studies job, leading to a PGCE (without QTS).

You work part time teacher part time learning facilitator/assistant.You can apply for QTLS (QTS equivalent) after you have qualified and have to provide proof of learning whilst on the job- similar to an NQT year.

I am concerned whether to enter teaching and have a few questions that people might be able to help me with. I have worked in a commercial industry the last two years after graduating, great pay, boring, uninspiring, sat behind a PC most of the day. I basically have not enjoyed it at all.I looked at teaching as a way to escape this, make a difference, more interactive, rewarding. I understand how hard teachers work (hours) and the small rewards financially.

What are the real benefits of teaching, to inspire me to continue?

What are the real negatives of teaching that would push me back to the private sector?

Please help I am at a major crossroad in my life and dont know what to do....

I did a PGCE post compulsory at Brighton uni in 2013. I was told that this would qualify me as QTLS. I then worked as a lecturer in a voluntary capacity the year I undertook and passed the PGCE to gather evidence of practice. I was then employed by the college in the following year and given a Teacher Reference Number so I assumed I was qualified. After a two year break for personal reasons I have registered with teaching agencies and since discovered that I am in fact NOT QUALIFIED AS A TEACHER IN ANY CAPACITY. I could have worked in FE without the PGCE and am not a qualified teacher for 14 and above as the university told me I would be. Only if a school hires me as unqualified and agrees to pay for a 4week course with Society for Education and Training can i get qualified...never going to happen so wasted a year and £9000. Do not do this course it is a rip off
Original post by Fanny1975
I did a PGCE post compulsory at Brighton uni in 2013. I was told that this would qualify me as QTLS. I then worked as a lecturer in a voluntary capacity the year I undertook and passed the PGCE to gather evidence of practice. I was then employed by the college in the following year and given a Teacher Reference Number so I assumed I was qualified. After a two year break for personal reasons I have registered with teaching agencies and since discovered that I am in fact NOT QUALIFIED AS A TEACHER IN ANY CAPACITY. I could have worked in FE without the PGCE and am not a qualified teacher for 14 and above as the university told me I would be. Only if a school hires me as unqualified and agrees to pay for a 4week course with Society for Education and Training can i get qualified...never going to happen so wasted a year and £9000. Do not do this course it is a rip off

Your quite lucky to gain paid PGCE in FE, if I was you I would take up the offer and try out teaching. If it works out then you have a new career and paid experience behind you. If it doesn't then you can say you've tried it and find work in business.
Original post by Fanny1975

Has the agency got it's facts right I wonder. All FE PGCEs are advertised as being what is needed to get QTLS status. I'd apply to colleges directly in your shoes. Never have liked agencies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending