The Student Room Group

Writing help - AQA English Language GCSE

Hi, I have the English language paper tomorrow and just going over some of the questions and need some help...
- do you know/know where to find some high level descriptive vocab to use for the writing to describe/explain/inform?
- how do you make it clear on Q6 (writing to argue/persuade/advise) that you are writing for the correct purpose? Generally they ask for a letter, speech or blog, so how should I address it and what techniques should I use?

Thank you SO much for any help you can give!
Reply 1
Original post by JenniMusic
Hi, I have the English language paper tomorrow and just going over some of the questions and need some help...
- do you know/know where to find some high level descriptive vocab to use for the writing to describe/explain/inform?
- how do you make it clear on Q6 (writing to argue/persuade/advise) that you are writing for the correct purpose? Generally they ask for a letter, speech or blog, so how should I address it and what techniques should I use?

I usually look for synonyms of words to replace them cause the examiner doesn't want to see you repeat the same words again and again. For example if you wanted to use the word emphasise twice you could use alternative words such as accentuates, stresses, highlights or underlines.
And to make Q6 clear you must refer back to the purpose at least in each paragraph where you are trying to make a statement or argument of your concern or if you are reviewing something. Don't start on a new topic. Make sure you focus on the purpose of Q6.
Reply 2

Btw have you found any past papers for this exam that are useful? If you have, can you link them?
snk321 did a great answer but I just wanted to add to make sure that you match the form correctly! So if its a letter, put your address and the recipient's address and sign it off ('Yours sincerely' if you know their name and 'Yours faithfully' if you don't). If it's a blog, directly address your audience at the beginning and the end (just something small like 'You might've noticed in my last entry that...' or 'Thanks for reading, see you next week!'). I'm not really sure what you'd do for a speech...?
Reply 4
Original post by snk321
I usually look for synonyms of words to replace them cause the examiner doesn't want to see you repeat the same words again and again. For example if you wanted to use the word emphasise twice you could use alternative words such as accentuates, stresses, highlights or underlines.
And to make Q6 clear you must refer back to the purpose at least in each paragraph where you are trying to make a statement or argument of your concern or if you are reviewing something. Don't start on a new topic. Make sure you focus on the purpose of Q6.

What other words could I find synonyms for?
How could I focus on the purpose?

Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by examtime123
snk321 did a great answer but I just wanted to add to make sure that you match the form correctly! So if its a letter, put your address and the recipient's address and sign it off ('Yours sincerely' if you know their name and 'Yours faithfully' if you don't). If it's a blog, directly address your audience at the beginning and the end (just something small like 'You might've noticed in my last entry that...' or 'Thanks for reading, see you next week!':wink:. I'm not really sure what you'd do for a speech...?

Im not too sure about the structure of a speech but I know you have to show confidence with a strong opening, exaggeration, include rhetorical questions, raise awareness and use emotive and persuasive language. :smile:
Reply 6
What other words could I find synonyms for?
How could I focus on the purpose?

Thanks for your help :smile:

Other synonyms could include in addition which could be replaced with furthermore, therefore, nonetheless, moreover . All you have to do is find a word and google the synonym of it and you'll get some useful results which you can use instead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending