The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Would it be impossible to get into Kings college with these GCSEs?

English lit: B
English Lang: A
Maths: B
Science Core: A
Science additional A
History: C
Sociology: B
Classics: C
RE: B
Spanish: F

And what if you got Alevels at: AAA with psychology, chemistry and biology?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

As long as you have good GCSE and A Level grades (more important) grades in the degree you want to take, I see no problem, what do you want to do at Kings?
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
What Subject?
Reply 3
Original post by Rhythmical
As long as you have good GCSE and A Level grades (more important) grades in the degree you want to take, I see no problem, what do you want to do at Kings?

I would like to do a degree in Chemisty, biology or psychology?
depends highly on the course. Most will require a C/B in english lang and maths.
The rest won't really matter as such so definitely not impossible.
I suggest thinking about that stuff when you're a lot nearer to applying for uni.
Also the A level grades will depend on the entry requirements so yet again difficult to answer.
Reply 5
Original post by Kenzar234
What Subject?

Biology, Chemisty or psychology.
Original post by Lea170
I would like to do a degree in Chemisty, biology or psychology?

I would say you have the grades and you have achieved over B grades in both English and Maths, a must. I know that Kings is extremely popular for Science subjects, sometimes AAA doesn't become sufficient but you shouldn't worry, think about extra curricular activities and developing your skills up. I plan to attend Kings in 2018 after doing some new A Levels after choosing the wrong ones.
Reply 7
I would say you have the grades and you have achieved over B grades in both English and Maths, a must. I know that Kings is extremely popular for Science subjects, sometimes AAA doesn't become sufficient but you shouldn't worry, think about extra curricular activities and developing your skills up. I plan to attend Kings in 2018 after doing some new A Levels after choosing the wrong ones.

I've done duke of Edinburgh at bronze and silver and I do volunteering at a nursing home every week is this enough?
Original post by Lea170
I've done duke of Edinburgh at bronze and silver and I do volunteering at a nursing home every week is this enough?

I would say that is enough, just make sure it ties into whatever you choose to do degree wise.
Reply 9
I would say that is enough, just make sure it ties into whatever you choose to do degree wise.

Thanks a lot I no longer feel so discouraged 😂 I hope to be applying for 2018.
Reply 10

what a levels are u doing? And how did u make this decision?
I'm really sorry if it's a random question but I'm just kind of in a similar position.
Of course it is possible, and in fact if your A level results show strong improvement then it is likely you would get accepted to KCL. A levels matter so much more than your GCSEs.

P.S I love it how you have As in Sciences and an F in Spanish. Anything below E does not have to be stated on the application.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lea170
Thanks a lot I no longer feel so discouraged 😂 I hope to be applying for 2018.

Well I hope to see you there! :h:

Original post by raghad.
what a levels are u doing? And how did u make this decision?
I'm really sorry if it's a random question but I'm just kind of in a similar position.

Erm well I do A Levels in English Literature, English Language and an OCR Cambridge Technical in Media and always wanted to go to Kings/UCL to do English yet my passion for Science and Biology enforced me to become disoriented from my essay based subjects and I decided that upon reflection, Biomedical science is more of a viable choice for me because of how suited I am to it. There was no I could have done Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Physics/Maths at my current school due to the options so what I've decided is to do it privately and self teach myself next year after my current ones. It was either do A Levels again in the subjects I need for my degree, a foundation year alongside a degree or an Access to HE course which I was told would not be sufficient for myself as I would be too "overqualified" apparently. What A Levels are you doing and plan to do as a degree?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lea170
English lit: B
English Lang: A
Maths: B
Science Core: A
Science additional A
History: C
Sociology: B
Classics: C
RE: B
Spanish: F

And what if you got Alevels at: AAA with psychology, chemistry and biology?

GCSE doesn't matter. Get 3 A*s in A Levels and they'll forget about your **** GCSE.
Reply 14
Well I hope to see you there! :h:

Erm well I do A Levels in English Literature, English Language and an OCR Cambridge Technical in Media and always wanted to go to Kings/UCL to do English yet my passion for Science and Biology enforced me to become disoriented from my essay based subjects and I decided that upon reflection, Biomedical science is more of a viable choice for me because of how suited I am to it. There was no I could have done Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Physics/Maths at my current school due to the options so what I've decided is to do it privately and self teach myself next year after my current ones. It was either do A Levels again in the subjects I need for my degree, a foundation year alongside a degree or an Access to HE course which I was told would not be sufficient for myself as I would be too "overqualified" apparently. What A Levels are you doing and plan to do as a degree?

I wish u all the best!!

Because I came to England + started learning English in Y10, I wasn't able to do many GCSEs . So I achieved only A* in maths and Arabic
A in Further Maths
B in art and design
D in English.

Therefore I didn't have many choices for a levels so I chose to do statistics, Art and design, business studies and Arabic. After a month I dropped business and wanted to do Further Maths but I was the only student who wanted to do it so I had to do it on my own.

Now I regretted doing a levels, I think I should have done more GCSEs at college and then came back to my sixth form. The thing is I was really good in my country in maths + all sciences but it's just my english which stopped me.

And I'm still not sure what to study at uni.

I'm so sorry for my bad English and long email !
Original post by raghad.
I wish u all the best!!

Because I came to England + started learning English in Y10, I wasn't able to do many GCSEs . So I achieved only A* in maths and Arabic
A in Further Maths
B in art and design
D in English.

Therefore I didn't have many choices for a levels so I chose to do statistics, Art and design, business studies and Arabic. After a month I dropped business and wanted to do Further Maths but I was the only student who wanted to do it so I had to do it on my own.

Now I regretted doing a levels, I think I should have done more GCSEs at college and then came back to my sixth form. The thing is I was really good in my country in maths + all sciences but it's just my english which stopped me.

And I'm still not sure what to study at uni.

I'm so sorry for my bad English and long email !

Aww it is okay, I'm here to help. What I recommend is taking a year out (or several) to do your GCSE's and A Levels because if you want to do something, nothing can stop you at all. English is my forte so if you need help, I am always on hand to help and I know the difficulties of learning it as a second language through my parents and relatives. You can do GCSE's privately or at a local college and then do A Levels that way, or another thing I could suggest is an Access to Higher Education course for those who may lack qualifications for A Levels or want an alternative route. :h:
Reply 16
Hey, I also dream of attending KCL but to study Law. Chance me?

I am sitting my GCSEs this year. Probably what I got.

English Lang: C (Messed up here because new country new school)
English Lit: A
Maths: B/A
Business: A
Sciences: A
History: A
ICT: A
French: D

I ll be taking the IB diploma next year, my subjects are:

HL English Lit
HL History
HL Economics
SL Maths
SL Chemistry
SL Spanish

I have taken part in international activities such as the DoE, sporting trips, multiple MUN conferences (one of them I was an advocate in the court and won my case) and was student council. I am attending KCL Pre-Uni Law summer thingy this summer and I plan to shadow as a law firm this December.
Original post by Lea170
Biology, Chemisty or psychology.

I got all C's at GCSE and got an offer for BSc maths and physics from kings last year
Reply 18
Original post by madmadmax321
I got all C's at GCSE and got an offer for BSc maths and physics from kings last year

What did you get in your a levels?
Reply 19
100% fine for the courses you mentioned.

Quick Reply

Latest