The Student Room Group

Chatting to girls, always run out of things to say

I consider myself quite introverted so my conversation skills aren't up to scratch. Also I've never had a girlfriend. Whenever I meet girls I could only hold a conversation for about 10-15 minutes (maybe 20 at a push) and it's generally ice breaker stuff like what's your name, what do you study, where are you from, what hobbies you got, etc...

But after that I'm stumped and the conversation dies out. I'd try to crack a few jokes when necessary but I can never keep the conversation going for longer.

What other topics could I bring up and talk about? Is 15 minutes a normal time to talk to a girl for the first time or is that too short?
Original post by Anonymous
I consider myself quite introverted so my conversation skills aren't up to scratch. Also I've never had a girlfriend. Whenever I meet girls I could only hold a conversation for about 10-15 minutes (maybe 20 at a push) and it's generally ice breaker stuff like what's your name, what do you study, where are you from, what hobbies you got, etc...

But after that I'm stumped and the conversation dies out. I'd try to crack a few jokes when necessary but I can never keep the conversation going for longer.

What other topics could I bring up and talk about? Is 15 minutes a normal time to talk to a girl for the first time or is that too short?

talk about her life. like if your got any life issues. i always add the line 'im always here if you need a shoulder to cry on or just to talk'.

its alright for the first time but should be progressively better once you know them more
You seem to be doing well with the questions etc. However, usually with those open questions, conversation should be able to flow. If it doesn't, then maybe she isn't making an effort. A conversation is a two way street.

Also, try to latch onto something that you both have in common e.g. if she studies a course think about someone you know who studies the same course "oh my friend also does X, they really like it!". Also, don't be afraid of forming an opinion, that's a good conversation flow. So if she is saying about "I enjoy this for a hobby" , say something like "oh really, I only do that if I'm really bored" ..something that starts a little banter, or flirting.
Reply 3
bump
You have friends who are girls yes? What do you talk to them about?
omagawrdd sing to her.
Reply 6
Original post by 99_Problems
You have friends who are girls yes? What do you talk to them about?

Yeah but usually it's like gossip and to catch up on other things. It's not the same as meeting a new girl for the first time
you should find something you both have in common like exams or some **** nd backchat about your teachers and be banterified nd then she'll start talking tyu about other stuff nd you'll text aaaaallll day and then be like night and in the morning be like morning and text aaaall day etc.

tell them a funny story or make one up
Spontaneous random magic!

And like someone else said, it is a 2 way street so if she is not engaging fully then it wont work.
You normally go from one topic to another e.g.
"What is your favourite colour"
"red"
"The colour red reminds me of danger and risk, are you into thriller movies or even horror?" as opposed to "oh cool mines is blue"

I jump a lot from topic to topic and can nearly always hold a conversation for hours unless the other person isn't engaging as much.

Be a bunny. Hop hop hop :hoppy:
Original post by bluemadhatter
Spontaneous random magic!

And like someone else said, it is a 2 way street so if she is not engaging fully then it wont work.
You normally go from one topic to another e.g.
"What is your favourite colour"
"red"
"The colour red reminds me of danger and risk, are you into thriller movies or even horror?" as opposed to "oh cool mines is blue"

I jump a lot from topic to topic and can nearly always hold a conversation for hours unless the other person isn't engaging as much.

Be a bunny. Hop hop hop :hoppy:

wise point
Yeah but usually it's like gossip and to catch up on other things. It's not the same as meeting a new girl for the first time

Try not to overthink it and just speak normally. Whatever their interests are just build on that.

I didn't get anywhere with girls in college because I was overthinking it and treating them special. Uni I stopped giving a ****. Result I lost my virginity, had my first girlfriend.
just talk out about something you're passionate about (especially if you can link into them)
so i talk jewellery and the big deal i have seen and heard and you usually can hold an hour or so
or
you can be full reality and admit that business is slow and that the new season is building
Don't overthink it. I used to know someone who did. He was clearly trying too hard. He would just talk a load of **** and it was really hard to have a meaningful conversation with him.
How about asking her questions?
Just chat to them like they were a mate, and listen to them about their life, don't try and overthink things:h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending