The Student Room Group

A-list actors and actresses

There are so many incredible actors and actresses in the world that have given us so many amazing performances. Who do you regard to be the top of the list? I could probably name about 50 actors (and actresses) that I would consider to be A-list. What about you? :h:

Spoiler

And so many more! I know these are mainly all actors, but there are actresses too :lol: Have forgotten many actors so will add to this list :facepalm:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There ar many actors and actress that i admire, Angelina Jolie is the A on my own list. She is a humanist as well)
Original post by SiaGarcia
There ar many actors and actress that i admire, Angelina Jolie is the A on my own list. She is a humanist as well)

Haven't seen many, if any, films with her in recently though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Megan Fox, Mila Kunis, Angelina Jolie, Natalie Portman, Scarlett Johansson, Anne Hatheway, Selena Gomez
Liam Hemsworth, Johnny Depp, Zac Efron, Theo James omg he is so hot.
Reply 4
Not Jeff Goldblum (one for the Football Ramble listeners) :wink:
1. Tom Cruise: Cuz he is the best
2. Leonardo DiCaprio
3. Tom Hanks
4. Christian Bale
5. Robert Downey Jr
6. Daniel Craig
7. Matt Damon
8. Bruce Willis
9. Bradley Cooper
10. Mark Wahlberg
Original post by Abirella
Megan Fox, Mila Kunis, Angelina Jolie, Natalie Portman, Scarlett Johansson, Anne Hatheway, Selena Gomez

That just sounds like a good looking list :lol:
I would add...
Meryl Streep
James McAvoy
Helen Mirren
Robert Downey Jr
Tom Hanks
Anne Hathaway
Eddie Redmayne
Hugh Jackman (he is incredible in Les Miserables)
Oscar Isaac
Tom Hiddleston
David Tennant (pretty amazing in Doctor Who, but look up some of his other performances as well)

Are we allowed to add actors/actresses who are not currently alive? In which case, I would also add...
Gregory Peck
Audrey Hepburn
Alan Rickman
Peter O' Toole
Katharine Hepburn
(edited 7 years ago)
Rather generalised but Orange Is The New Black cast are absolutely amazing. Look at Crazy for example (Uzo Aducosomething)- herself in real life is absolutely nothing like Crazy but watching her you feel freaked out. People in TV shows never seem to get enough credit idk

Scarlett Johansson, Natalie Portman, Anne Hathaway, Angeline Jolie, Johnny Depp and (to a certain extent) Mila Kunis are all fair enough, but I have several issues with this list, the main one being that several of the people listed are chosen not for their acting capabilities but for their appearances.

Are there any emotional performances from Selena Gomez that have brought you to tears? No, because she plays the same role in everything she is in.

Whilst Zac Efron is a fantastic comedic actor, I sense that that is not why you picked him.

Which performance did you pick Theo James as a fantastic actor for? Please don't tell me it was the Divergent series, which flopped at the box office because the second movie was so lifeless that everyone had almost given up by the time they got to the third film.

I am not denying the fact that Theo James is handsome. The one facial expression he is able to do when "acting" is certainly not an unattractive one.

The reason why people are given the title of "A-List Actors" is because they are phenomenal at their craft and have the ability to bring audiences to tears, not because they are "so hot". If you had cited these actors because of their acting abilities or the incredible range of characters they can play, I would agree entirely with you. Instead, you have picked them based on appearance.

Whilst appearance definitely plays a part in why actors are being chosen, why do you think that Theo James chose to become an actor? Because he wanted to get better at his craft and perform to people, or because he wanted to show off his looks? To simply choose someone based on their appearance is disrespectful to them and shallow.
Original post by ImagineCats
Rather generalised but Orange Is The New Black cast are absolutely amazing. Look at Crazy for example (Uzo Aducosomething)- herself in real life is absolutely nothing like Crazy but watching her you feel freaked out. People in TV shows never seem to get enough credit idk

Completely agree on both accounts. The entire cast in OITNB are amazing, especially Uzo Aduba. I would also possibly add Taryn Manning to that list as well, as Pennsatucky. You really begin to hate Pennsatucky because of how cruel and irrational she is, but you also feel sorry for her, especially as her character develops and you learn more about her.

I also agree with you on your point about people in TV shows never getting enough credit. It's one of the reasons why I would consider adding Evan Peters for his characters on American Horror Story. He is able to play damaged psychopaths like Tate who are still somewhat likeable, psychologically damaged and vulnerable characters such as Kyle and completely deranged characters such as Mr March. The accent he does as Mr March is a difficult one to pull off, but he is barely recognisable as himself whilst in role because he is so deeply in character.
What is the definition of an A list actor?
Oscar winner?
Box office current or past?
Acting ability alone?
Fame?
Original post by Lydia2213
Completely agree on both accounts. The entire cast in OITNB are amazing, especially Uzo Aduba. I would also possibly add Taryn Manning to that list as well, as Pennsatucky. You really begin to hate Pennsatucky because of how cruel and irrational she is, but you also feel sorry for her, especially as her character develops and you learn more about her.

I also agree with you on your point about people in TV shows never getting enough credit. It's one of the reasons why I would consider adding Evan Peters for his characters on American Horror Story. He is able to play damaged psychopaths like Tate who are still somewhat likeable, psychologically damaged and vulnerable characters such as Kyle and completely deranged characters such as Mr March. The accent he does as Mr March is a difficult one to pull off, but he is barely recognisable as himself whilst in role because he is so deeply in character.

Yes! Evan Peters!!! Jessica Lange is already out there in the A-List world, but Lizzie Brochere (Grace- Asylum) is French yet her English was insane! Lana, Thredson... what an amazing cast
A-List of Actors and Actresses
Alan Rickman
Adam Sandler
Arnold Schwarzenneger
Amber Heard
Anthony Hopkins
Anne Hathaway :love:
Amy Adams :colondollar:
Angelina Jolie :tongue:
Amanda Seyfried :h:
Audrey Tautou (no.1)

Spoiler

Without a doubt the man in your profile picture (James Gandolfini, may be RIP). Just finished watching The Sopranos and he was an extraordinary actor, simply gold.
Original post by ImagineCats
Yes! Evan Peters!!! Jessica Lange is already out there in the A-List world, but Lizzie Brochere (Grace- Asylum) is French yet her English was insane! Lana, Thredson... what an amazing cast

Definitely, definitely agree!

I don't think this thread is about who you think is the hottest. :wink:
Original post by moment of truth

And so many more! I know these are mainly all actors, but there are actresses too :lol: Have forgotten many actors so will add to this list :facepalm:

Yeah, don't forget the ladies! :tongue: I'd say your list is pretty good.

I quite like Jessica Chastain, Zoe Saldana and Emily Blunt too
Original post by moment of truth
There are so many incredible actors and actresses in the world that have given us so many amazing performances. Who do you regard to be the top of the list? I could probably name about 50 actors (and actresses) that I would consider to be A-list. What about you? :h:

Spoiler

Matt Damon requires two places because he exists both on Mars and Earth :cool:
Original post by Hugs31
Not Jeff Goldblum (one for the Football Ramble listeners) :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest