The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Tips for Family

Hello,

I will join Bath Full Time MBA next september. I live in south america so i will be travelling with my family (wife, 4 years old son and 8 months old daughter). I am looking for accomodation but have some doubts i hope someone could help me with:

1) Is it a good idea to live in Bristol and study in Bath? I was wondering about this because it is a larger city and maybe has more things to do (i know Bath is a beautiful city, but i am afraid they may become a bit bored since its more quiet). Is there good transport from Bristol to Bath University? How long does it take?
2) I been searching for nurseries and kindergartens but they are all very expensive. Is there any alernative for childcare that is cheapear but reliable? Since they are quite young i just want them to have the possibility to have somewhere to play for some hours a day.

I am really happy with this opportunity to join the university, but i really want my family to have the best time either, so i want them to have also activities to develop themselves.

Thanks all for the help!
Original post by fdrg83
Hello,

I will join Bath Full Time MBA next september. I live in south america so i will be travelling with my family (wife, 4 years old son and 8 months old daughter). I am looking for accomodation but have some doubts i hope someone could help me with:

1) Is it a good idea to live in Bristol and study in Bath? I was wondering about this because it is a larger city and maybe has more things to do (i know Bath is a beautiful city, but i am afraid they may become a bit bored since its more quiet). Is there good transport from Bristol to Bath University? How long does it take?
2) I been searching for nurseries and kindergartens but they are all very expensive. Is there any alernative for childcare that is cheapear but reliable? Since they are quite young i just want them to have the possibility to have somewhere to play for some hours a day.

I am really happy with this opportunity to join the university, but i really want my family to have the best time either, so i want them to have also activities to develop themselves.

Thanks all for the help!

:hello:

There is a nursery on campus, perhaps that may suit your needs (although you may have looked into that already :colondollar:)

Also, it's about 15 minutes by train from Bristol to Bath, and a bit longer by bus, so if Bristol looks more appealing to you then I'm sure it's possible, but it may be a bit expensive as well, and I'm not sure how much there is in either city to do for kids.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Hello,

I can't help you with your second question, but regarding the first I'd say it's very possible to live in Bristol and come to Bath, but it would take dedication. The train takes about 20 minutes and come every 15-30 minutes. It is quite expensive (~£10) though, so you would want some sort of year pass for that. From the train station you would have to take a bus, with the U1 and U18 being the frequent services, up the hill to the university. The bus stop is right outside the station, although these buses can get very crowded in the morning, and so getting on at a mid-run bus station such as the train station may be difficult in the mornings at around 8-9am. I'd estimate that the bus takes a further 15 minutes but it stops right on campus.

You are right about Bristol being a larger city with more things to do. Bath has many nice parks for the kids and is very touristic, with a number of things to do. However, many of these activities would be for older people - I don't think your kids are at the age that they'd appreciate the Roman Baths etc. If anything, it is a personal choice that you have to make. You mention travelling because there would be more to do for the kids in Bristol, but what about living in Bath, with a quick commute to Bristol every so often for activities with the kids? Just a suggestion.

Whatever you choose, enjoy Bath, it's a great University and great place, as is Bristol. All the best.

Quick Reply

Latest