The Student Room Group

Should i take Higher Maths!?

Hi, im going into S6 at the moment and i did National 5 maths in S3-S4 but decided against taking it in S5. I got an A in the exam, however i had to work pretty hard for it. Would you recommend it or against doing for both the usefulness/difficulty of the subject regarding that i've taken a whole year out and will probs not remember some of the Nat 5 course.

(I'm looking to do something social subject orientated)

Thanks, Sam.
Higher Maths is definitely something to consider. A lot of Universities will generally have Maths as a requirement - I guarantee they will want this for any Science-y subjects. You will need to be able to feel comfortable with Statistics because a lot of Social Subjects are heavily built on Maths and Stats. Sorry, but Maths really is everywhere!

Now, I am a bit biased here as I am nearing the end of a Maths Honours but I still believe Higher Maths would be easy enough to pick up after a year out. I think you'll be fine.
Reply 2
If you're planing on a Liberal Arts degree after school then I wouldn't bother with it :lol: - Science degrees usually specify at least two sciences at higher (so, for example, if you have already taken Chem and Bio, Higher Maths would be unnecessary) - however, you should obviously check this against the requirements for your actual course.

I sat Higher Maths last year (5th year) and I just found it all too far removed from humanity to be enjoyable. 😅
As for the jump from Nat 5 to Higher, I found it quite large. I was straight A in Nat 5 and then in Higher I bounced from C to A to B and in the exam an A. 😂

EDIT: just realised you're planning on SocSci at uni, I will say that while H Maths does offer some use for analysis of stats etc - it is far from being essential, as the majority of the course is based around abstract concepts, you'd probably get along quite fine without it. (Maybe speak to a Modern Studies teacher at your school and ask them more?)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Sam2410
Hi, im going into S6 at the moment and i did National 5 maths in S3-S4 but decided against taking it in S5. I got an A in the exam, however i had to work pretty hard for it. Would you recommend it or against doing for both the usefulness/difficulty of the subject regarding that i've taken a whole year out and will probs not remember some of the Nat 5 course.

Thanks, Sam.

I agree with redgoldfish, higher maths is a really good subject to take in general. It teaches a lot of proper maths and if you manage to cope your maths skills will improve a lot. Probably not a requirement for social subjects at uni though (except some economics courses) so if you need grades for uni conditions, then you might not want to risk a low grade in higher maths.
Original post by Sam2410

Thanks, Sam.

Jump from Nat 5 to Higher is so high btw
Reply 5
Yes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending