The Student Room Group

UCAS points for the RAF and such

OKAY! THIS IS GOING TO BE LONG WINDED BARE WITH ME

So due to rubbish families and what have you, I've not done too brilliantly in school. Which isn't my fault, I'm actually dead clever. I've been to a total of eleven schools. ELEVEN! I'm currently sitting some GCSE exams but they've not given me many, because I spent so little time in school. I have my English Language IGCSE (I did the early entry exam in November and got an A) and also a TLM level 2 qualification in IT. I've sat my linear non calculator maths (went badly) and all of my foundation sciences (they went okay. I think I scraped a C.) Also all of the AQA use of Maths exams (2 of them went okay and one went horribly. Don't think I did well at all) I'm sitting the double foundation sciences soon and also GCSE General Studies. If I didn't **** those all up, that would mean I have 7 GCSEs. However because I didn't sit any mocks, all of my expected grades are D. So the college I've applied for were just like "bro you can't do any A levels because you have like 2 qualifications" and I was like "bro, can I at least do a vocational?" and they were like "sure bro you've been accepted onto level 2 uniformed services"

ANYWAY. Long-term I'd like to join the RAF as a Student Nurse. But the requirements are "300 UCAS points at higher education", which I don't believe Uniformed Services can give me. Also UCAS points scare the hell out of me. I genuinely don't know what I'd need to do to get 300 UCAS points, especially with my expected GCSE turn out. I was thinking of possibly doing an access course in 2019, however that would require me doing 2 years of WHAT at college and sitting on my arse for a year (because you cant do an access course until you're 19)

I still really want to do Uniformed Services. I want to get into the forces ASAP and was thinking I could maybe join as an Army reserve while I do my access course, just so I'm still keeping busy and active and earning some money while I mooch off of my dad for ANOTHER YEAR. Either way I need to somehow get 300 UCAS points and I don't think the access course will cover that. Would I have to actually go to Uni to get those points? The RAF pay for you to go to Birmingham uni once you join and get you a degree in Nursing, so you can see why that would be kinda pointless.

If anyone wants to tackle this mess you're more than welcome to.

TL;DR - I need 300 UCAS points for the RAF but I'm ****ing stupid
I don't really know a lot about the RAF, but in terms of UCAS points, BTEC level 2 diplomas are only considered to be equal to GCSEs, and so I don't think they're counted on UCAS forms, so I would assume it's the same for the RAF.

However, BTEC level 2 typically lead on to level 3's in the same course- so that would obviously be BTEC level 3 in Uniformed Services. To get 300 UCAS points in a level 3 BTEC, you would need to do the extended diploma, and get at least DDM (distinction, distinction, merit). That would take you 3 years (the level 2 + 2 years for the level 3).

The best thing to do would probably be to talk to your local selection office or something like that.
Reply 2
Original post by cbatothinkofone
I don't really know a lot about the RAF, but in terms of UCAS points, BTEC level 2 diplomas are only considered to be equal to GCSEs, and so I don't think they're counted on UCAS forms, so I would assume it's the same for the RAF.

However, BTEC level 2 typically lead on to level 3's in the same course- so that would obviously be BTEC level 3 in Uniformed Services. To get 300 UCAS points in a level 3 BTEC, you would need to do the extended diploma, and get at least DDM (distinction, distinction, merit). That would take you 3 years (the level 2 + 2 years for the level 3).

The best thing to do would probably be to talk to your local selection office or something like that.

Yeah. I think I'll have to take a trip down to the AFCO. Although Uniformed Services isn't a BTEC, it's an NCFE diploma. Not sure if that's any different?

Quick Reply

Latest