Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Does social class have an impact on your social life at LSE?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

Hey all,

I may be attending LSE this year after all, and one thing that I was thinking about was how much your spare cash/social class, or whatever, affects your ability to enjoy yourself socially?

I come from a fairly working class background, and won't really have much money extra after accommodation and what not. I know that the high proportion of internationals and privately educated may mean this isn't something that's very universal.

I was thinking that since London is a place that relies on going out to clubs for it's social scene, maybe more so than other campus universities, is it tough to keep up with richer students if you're from a poorer background?

On the open day, I met some people spending over 20k on accomodation alone, which just seems like an absurd amount of money.

I understand that its not unusual at LSE for cliques to be formed by race, but is 'social class' ever an issue?

Thanks for any help

Hi. Nights out are 3 pounds if you get the early birds. Pre drinks are done by almost everyone for economical reasons. The average expenditure for a night out shouldn't exceed 15 pounds even if you factor in all the booze and transport.

I currently live in a hall costing just under 8k and most if not all students here can manage the above scenario. If that is expensive for you then... Yes it will be difficult.

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk

I imagine the cheaper halls are going to have people that are on relatively similar budgets. Yes, LSE is full of rich internationals but they also have a big widening participation ethos which means that those on the lower end of the spectrum are (relatively) overrepresented at LSE compared to other universities. I wouldn't worry
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.