The Student Room Group

Access to HE

Hi
I have heard about this 'backdoor course' you can do to get into most Unis.
It's called Access to HE, basically I've heard that it is said to be A level equivalent but it's more like D/E grade GCSE level stuff with a bit of 'how to reference' to make it seem official.
Basically the tutors will just tell you the answers and it's really easy to get good grades.
I'm thinking of applying in a few years, instead of A levels, anybody done one?

Scroll to see replies

Access to HE courses are not a 'back door' route into university, and they certainly aren't GCSE-standard. They are very intensive courses which are arguably harder than A levels because you are continuously assessed throughout the year, meaning you don't get a rest - you have to work and produce coursework every single week. But most colleges won't accept students below the age of 18 for Access courses anyway.
From what I've heard, Access courses are NOT a 'back door' into uni. They're actually quite difficult, as the workload is so intense. After all, you're expected to learn two years worth of A-level standard stuff in one year. In fact, from speaking to others who have done Access courses, it is people with the 'it's just a quick and easy route into uni' attitude that actually end up dropping out or failing the course, simply because they massively underestimated how hard the course would be. They are level 3 standard, which is equivalent to A levels. They. Are. Not. Easy. Nor are they a nice easy route into uni. They're an excellent way to secure a uni place, IF you are willing to work hard and achieve good grades. If you enter it assuming you'll just breeze through, you will fail. Access courses also have exams.

I smell a troll, to be honest.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Snufkin
Access to HE courses are not a 'back door' route into university, and they certainly aren't GCSE-standard. They are very intensive courses which are arguably harder than A levels because you are continuously assessed throughout the year, meaning you don't get a rest - you have to work and produce coursework every single week. But most colleges won't accept students below the age of 18 for Access courses anyway.

I'm not sure if this is a genuine post (if it is, then I'm in disbelief at how rude/ignorant someone could openly and unncessarily be) but if it is then I would've responded how you have. :smile:
Reply 4
Hey, sorry I didn't mean to be rude! I was just wanting some clarification after what I've heard from friends,
Apologies.
Original post by Aclarke55
Hi
It's called Access to HE, basically I've heard that it is said to be A level equivalent but it's more like D/E grade GCSE level stuff with a bit of 'how to reference' to make it seem official.
Basically the tutors will just tell you the answers and it's really easy to get good grades.

Having done 2 a-levels (privately) and an access course in humanities I an give you my experience. The course has 3 grades pass/merit / dist. To get a pass you basically need to turn and just not spend the time drooling on the table. Merits require some skill but you make a lot of mistakes and distinction requires a consistent use of high quality language.

Comparing each grade to a -levels I would say

Pass is about E/D at a-level
Merit would be equiv to a C
Dist is about a B

Really it is the workload which makes them hard as its quite relentless, especially if you have to do work experiences.
They're designed for mature students who either don't have the required Level 3 qualifications for university, are looking for a career change, or who's qualifications are old and the university requires recent academic study for entry.

They aren't for lazy teenagers looking for a shortcut(not that they are a shortcut).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
I've just finished my final exam for the access course. My access was for nursing, midwifery or allied health professions. I will say this, it is quick but deffinatly not to be underestimated. It's a fast track course not an easy fast track course. Anyone thinking of doing an access course needs to be committed and ready to work hard. Put the effort in and you will reap the rewards. As for work load it's pretty full on, you can bet on having at least 3-4 assignments on the go at once. As I said commitment is key to completion and if you put enough effort in you will gain decent grades.
Access course is level 3, so equivalent to A levels. I was told at the start of mine that our course was equivalent to 3 A levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there a time limit that you have to apply for uni? someone said 3 to 4 years
Hi

A backdoor course all universities know about and encourage students to apply for? I've just done an Access course to get into uni and trust me, it is NOT the easy option. You're expected to take exams and all grades are moderated by an exam board. They are equivalent to As/A levels, certainly not low grade GCSEs. Ever heard of the Krebs cycle and summarised its function in 300 words? How about the work of Kant? Perhaps you're totally familiar with glycolysis and the structure and function of erythrocytes?

If you're looking for an easy option, uni really shouldn't be something you're considering at this stage of your life.
Reply 11
Yeah dude, I have an Access to HE diploma, 30 distinctions and 15 merits. Piece of cake, totally easy compared to A levels
So... why did you start the thread considering you said you're thinking of applying in a few years?
Hi
You could do some MOOC's instead. As long as you get 60 credits at level 4 that is enough to get into Uni.
Reply 14
45 distinctions at Access to HE diploma are equivalent AAA at A-level,
usually universities ask between 30-45 distinction.

Its possible to get all distinction but you must work hard.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by coffeecrumpets
So... why did you start the thread considering you said you're thinking of applying in a few years?

I don't know, honestly. I think I just wanted to gauge what people thought of Access without explicitly asking.
I wanted true opinion rather than some BS about how amazing it is; it is a good course imho.
Riiiiiiiiiight...
Reply 17
Original post by angelseyes
Is there a time limit that you have to apply for uni? someone said 3 to 4 years

there is no any limits for you diploma, but universities ask for evidence of study in the last 5 years
Hi

Lol they are certainly not D/E grade GCSE level stuff... It's a useful course if you want to get into uni in a year (some Access courses are over a year, but I'm talking about the standard length), but if you want to get into some courses it may put you at a disadvantage relative to A Level applicants... E.g. check this out: 'Some access courses allow students to take one or two A-levels as part of the course. This option is strongly recommended for students who wish to apply to Oxford, especially for those courses which have specific subject requirements.' - https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/entrance-requirements/examples-vocational-and-other-qualifications?wssl=1
An Access course with two A Levels?!? Insane workload.
Original post by illegaltobepoor
You could do some MOOC's instead. As long as you get 60 credits at level 4 that is enough to get into Uni.

How can you get into uni through MOOCs? I'm doing some at the moment but afik they don't count as credits

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending