The Student Room Group

Access to HE

Scroll to see replies

Original post by greenmang0
How can you get into uni through MOOCs? I'm doing some at the moment but afik they don't count as credits

Depends if they are from a British Uni or not.You could do 60 credits in Open Uni. All coursework. Far cheaper.
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Depends if they are from a British Uni or not.You could do 60 credits in Open Uni. All coursework. Far cheaper.

Far cheaper than what? The Access to HE Diploma is free if you have no Level 3 qualifications, I believe, or you can take a loan that gets cancelled if you progress to uni
Reply 22
Original post by Mrs X
45 distinctions at Access to HE diploma are equivalent AAA at A-level,
usually universities ask between 30-45 distinction.

Its possible to get all distinction but you must work hard.

Not quite.

Even though 45 Distinctions and AAA grades at A Level are both equal to 144 UCAS tariff points (2017 Tariff), some universities will make offers strictly on the number of Distinctions/Merits/Pass grades achieved. For example, Durham has set 30 Distinctions and 15 Merits as the accepted equivalent of AAA at A Level. Not complaining! :h:

45 Distinctions is definitely possible - it will take a lot of motivation and determination to get there, but it will all be worth it in the end.
Reply 23
Original post by m_james
Not quite.

Even though 45 Distinctions and AAA grades at A Level are both equal to 144 UCAS tariff points (2017 Tariff), some universities will make offers strictly on the number of Distinctions/Merits/Pass grades achieved. For example, Durham has set 30 Distinctions and 15 Merits as the accepted equivalent of AAA at A Level. Not complaining! :h:

45 Distinctions is definitely possible - it will take a lot of motivation and determination to get there, but it will all be worth it in the end.

Leeds uni for my course asks 45 distinctions
Reply 24
Original post by Mrs X
Leeds uni for my course asks 45 distinctions

Exactly - universities will decide the number of D/M/P's needed for each course on their own.

My course is typically AAB-ABB at most universities, and my offers were ranging from 15 Distinctions and 30 Merits to 45 Distinctions.

You'll find that some universities are quite generous when it comes to making an offer to Access students, others not so much.
Far cheaper than what? The Access to HE Diploma is free if you have no Level 3 qualifications, I believe, or you can take a loan that gets cancelled if you progress to uni

Guess it depends on local funding. Isnt free in my area.
Guess it depends on local funding. Isnt free in my area.

Ugh, that's terrible.
Ugh, that's terrible.

I've done a Access course and to be honest and they are terrible. They also have a very limited subject area.I personally think Open University is better because you can do a Certificate of Higher Education which is worth 120 university credits (1 year of study) and this is worth far more than a Access to HE Diploma.

Also some Uni's will allow you to leap frog and join the 2nd year of one of their programs.
I've done a Access course and to be honest and they are terrible. They also have a very limited subject area.I personally think Open University is better because you can do a Certificate of Higher Education which is worth 120 university credits (1 year of study) and this is worth far more than a Access to HE Diploma.

Also some Uni's will allow you to leap frog and join the 2nd year of one of their programs.

Open University modules are more limited than Access courses in my opinion. OU level 1 modules are a hodgepodge of various different subjects so you never really study anything in depth like you would in an Access course. Plus the OU is very expensive, but most people can get a loan (which gets written off if you go to university) to pay for their Access course.

Very few universities will allow you to 'leap frog' into second year with an OU CertHE.
Original post by Snufkin
Open University modules are more limited than Access courses in my opinion. OU level 1 modules are a hodgepodge of various different subjects so you never really study anything in depth like you would in an Access course. Plus the OU is very expensive, but most people can get a loan (which gets written off if you go to university) to pay for their Access course.

Very few universities will allow you to 'leap frog' into second year with an OU CertHE.

Guess I am pretty lucky then.
Guess I am pretty lucky then.

I guess you are.
Reply 31
because I am older than 24, I applied to 24+ Advanced Learning Loan
but now
From 1st August 2016, Advanced or Adult Learning Loans, will be available to all learners aged 19+, and the Government have extended the type of qualification they can get a loan for up to level 6.This includes;

Certificates from level 3 to level 6

Diplomas from level 3 to level 6

A and AS Levels

Tech Levels

So, from 1st August 2016, the age at which a person can apply for an FE loan lowers from 24 to 19, but interested learners will be able to apply for a 19+ Advanced Learning Loan from May 2016, although they will not be able to start the qualification until after 1st August 2016.

https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan/eligibility
Reply 32
I've just finished an Access to HE: Science course this year and it was fantastic albeit very intense and was for sure hard work whilst working at the same time.

The most difficult part of the course for me was the two months of the year where we had 4 assignments in one go. It was non-stop and didn't have much time to breathe after one essay / report was complete the next one must be completed straight after.

I can also assure you the level of work is not below A-level standard particularly if if you are working at distinction level. In fact, at A-level you are taught possibly more in terms of a wide array of the subject topics but you are taught more practical study abilities such as learning how to write reports, lab work, posters, presentations, referencing, researching and condensing essays into specific word counts, all of which I'm sure will put you in good stead for university.

The only thing I'm worried about after completing the course and getting reasonably good grades, is how much in each subject was actually covered and have a I covered enough.

I'd go for it if you have the time, dedication and motivation. Best thing I've done for sure.
(edited 7 years ago)
quality troll, good work fella
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 34
^^ ?
Hello,
This is such an interesting discussion, thanks.

I only would like to add some information: Especially in Arts, Access to HE courses are widely accepted, even by Russell Group members (Cambridge, for instance), providing that the required results have been achieved; the UCL, in contrast, is strict in its interpretation of Access to HE courses (they reject it at all).
Oxford, for example, could make conditional offers to persons who complete(d) Access to HE with 45 level 3 credits at Distinction + the compulsory GSCE in Mathematics or equivalent, A grade(s).
If one preferred to study sciences, an A-Level in Mathematics should be taken into account, if not achieved quite recently. Access to HE (Science) + an A grade in A-Level Mathematics. Other universities could be more open in this regard.

It is not necessary to choose one of these universities, however, they are the perfect standard, in my opinion.

(P.S. Sorry for my English, I am from Germany)
Best wishes
Could you message me I want more help and detail about it
Original post by Harvlol
I've just finished an Access to HE: Science course this year and it was fantastic albeit very intense and was for sure hard work whilst working at the same time.

The most difficult part of the course for me was the two months of the year where we had 4 assignments in one go. It was non-stop and didn't have much time to breathe after one essay / report was complete the next one must be completed straight after.

I can also assure you the level of work is not below A-level standard particularly if if you are working at distinction level. In fact, at A-level you are taught possibly more in terms of a wide array of the subject topics but you are taught more practical study abilities such as learning how to write reports, lab work, posters, presentations, referencing, researching and condensing essays into specific word counts, all of which I'm sure will put you in good stead for university.

The only thing I'm worried about after completing the course and getting reasonably good grades, is how much in each subject was actually covered and have a I covered enough.

I'd go for it if you have the time, dedication and motivation. Best thing I've done for sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending