The Student Room Group

Hi! I am extremely unfit and would like to become stronger

i am 18 years old, and the last time I did anything physical was when I was 12. I am overweight (83kg when 1.76m tall). I am too weak to perform squats, I struggle to do crunches, I couldn't do push-ups to save my life and I can barely run for 30 seconds without having the breathe knocked right out of me.
As of right now, I cannot afford to go to a gym.

Can anyone recommend some exercises/ a routine to do to build strength and stamina?
(edited 7 years ago)
Do you know when you say barely run for 30 seconds, why dont you go jogging everyday?
Reply 2
If you keep saying that you're too weak and that you "can't" you'll never be able to. You can do it, it will just take practice. If you can't afford to go to the gym I would suggest you watch a few routines on YouTube, maybe beginner exercise videos. It doesn't matter if you can't run for longer than 30 seconds right now, if you keep attempting to go for a run you'll get better, it takes time though. If you go out maybe begin with a power walk and do a light jog for about 30 seconds to a minute and then walk again and then when you've caught your breath start running again for a minute - this is interval training. If you do this regularly you'll get better and be able to run for longer periods.

TRY and stop thinking that you can't do it.
I am trying to (I go 3 times a week), but I doubt that alone builds strength.

Posted from TSR Mobile
change diet and do cardio, then start doing strength stuff?? idk, you just gotta start doing something even if its only an exercise like walking it will help
Hahaha I guess :smile: I tend to overthink things. Thanks for the tips on jogging by the way. I just wanted to get better quickly so I never paced myself

Posted from TSR Mobile
if i were you i would try to fix your eating habits first? im not a health expert but i feel like if you start eating better you'll eventually lose a few kgs making it much more bearable to run and do physical activities? but its that isnt the case you can try to do some of fitnessblender's beginner exercises on youtube, they're great imo
You are unable to squat? As in physically unable to to bend your knees and lower yourself? I find this hard to believe.

Just do exercises that you are able to do, you can do pushups from your knees rather than stretched out to make them easier, you can do situps rather than crunchies, you can go for a fast walk/slow jog rather than sprinting.

Ultimately being fit is just about putting the effort in and over time you will be able to do these things more easily, so will need to increase the challenge to your body to continue improving.

EDIT: Also, you can buy a cheap set of free weights for like £15.
I do eat healthy, but in large quantities, so I should tackle that first, you're right. Thanks for telling me about the channel, I'd never heard of them before :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ayaz789
Do you know when you say barely run for 30 seconds, why dont you go jogging everyday?

Bad advice, jogging everyday when just starting out will more than likely cause shin spints, being over weight would increase the likeliness of this. I'd suggest going for walks and maybe add some light jogging and slowly increase the intervals of jogging. Make sure you have a decent amount of rest between sessions.

Edit: read this
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3014757&p=52325945#post52325945

Running will be ****ing painful at first but when you get past that pain point you get whats called runners high which is an awesome feeling.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hmm...is that what squats are? I'm sorry, seems I was misinformed.
I can lower myself, but what I can't do is lift myself up again. What is that exercise called?
I think I will buy some weights. Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest