The Student Room Group

If the course doesn't have 'BTEC' in the title- IS it a BTEC?

New to this BTEC stuff, planning on dropping AS levels and going to a different college to do either:

"Level 3 Extended Diploma in Computer Science (for IT practitioners) Year 1 of 2 Group A" (OCR) at a Tech, or:

"Extended Diploma Computing Level 3 BTEC" (Edexel/Pearson) at another sixth form college.

They're basically structured the same as far as I can tell but I hadn't heard about he first one, no idea what the Group A means (is there a Group B?) and is it yer actual BTEC? Or another type of level 3 qualification?
Reply 1
Original post by Miljee
New to this BTEC stuff, planning on dropping AS levels and going to a different college to do either:

"Level 3 Extended Diploma in Computer Science (for IT practitioners) Year 1 of 2 Group A" (OCR) at a Tech, or:

"Extended Diploma Computing Level 3 BTEC" (Edexel/Pearson) at another sixth form college.

They're basically structured the same as far as I can tell but I hadn't heard about he first one, no idea what the Group A means (is there a Group B?) and is it yer actual BTEC? Or another type of level 3 qualification?

You'll have to ask the college. It's probably a BTEC extended diploma, but they could be offering anything. Nobody here will magically know the answer.
Original post by Miljee

Definitely ask the college

Looking at the OCR website this qualification doesn't exist: http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/by-subject/computing/
Reply 4
Here's your college's email address if you were too lazy to look for it:
[email protected]

Just contact them, it'll take ten minutes and they'll know 100x better than we do.
Both of the courses are the same. The only difference is BTEC is awarded by Pearson Edexcel whereas the Cambridge Technical is awarded by OCR. Same learning outcomes, same UCAS equivalence and same points. Everyone has heard of BTECs but CTECs not as well known.
Reply 6
Thanks, that's really useful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending