The Student Room Group

Crashing higher physics?

Just out of curiosity, how doable is it to crash higher physics in 6 year with no n5? If it helps, the sciences I currently do are higher biology and chemistry. What are the links between them? Also, how vital is n5 to higher physics? Are they very similar or is higher quite different?
Thank you!
National 5 and Higher are quite similar, I think it would be doable with no Higher but hard. From what I know, there is little biology or chemistry involved.
Reply 2
It's certainly possible, although it could be quite hard.
The Higher Physics course is quite different to that of N5 Physics, however you are expected to know a number of basic concepts recognised at N5 (as with most Higher's) but are not covered as their own area in the course. Find and read over a lot (most) of the N5 materials (notes, exercises, etc.), I recommend at least waves, electricity (definitely), light, vectors/motion/projectiles and probably some others (I can't remember unit names at the moment). Your teacher should also be able to give you a proper list of what would be handy to go over from N5 before starting Higher.

In terms of the other sciences, only the problem solving ability and the ability to read a periodic table can be taken forward into H Physics really I'm afraid. Of course the experience of doing Higher's already will prepare you for workload etc.
Having just finished H Physics I can thoroughly recommend it, it really does have a lot of "the penny drops" moments where we realised the actual reasoning behind some 'hard facts' at N5, and you learn how to use E=mc^2, and who doesn't want to know that? :wink:
I would definitely say its difficult. I suggest you start revising for N5 Physics throughout the summer so you have a basic idea of the content involved. I have a girl sitting next to me in H Physics who is crashing higher physics and she doesnt know basic content such as where a voltmeter goes in a circuit, and what a voltage is, and when she does questions shes always really confused and I have to talk her through stuff.

If you revise regularly you should be fine, good luck. X
Reply 4
You can manage easily.
Reply 5
Thanks for the response everyone!
Hi, I crashed higher physics in fifth year, and although I didn't do physics before, it wasn't terrible . It's kinda like applied maths, but with a lot of rules and conditions, but if you've done higher biology or something that requires a lot of memorising, it'll be fine.
At first it might be horrendous, but once you practise a LOT of questions you'll start to pick up on where exactly you make a mistake, and it'll eventually be built into you so you'll stop doing that.
Reply 7
Original post by Little_Sh*t
Hi, I crashed higher physics in fifth year, and although I didn't do physics before, it wasn't terrible . It's kinda like applied maths, but with a lot of rules and conditions, but if you've done higher biology or something that requires a lot of memorising, it'll be fine.
At first it might be horrendous, but once you practise a LOT of questions you'll start to pick up on where exactly you make a mistake, and it'll eventually be built into you so you'll stop doing that.

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending