The Student Room Group

Vote on the future of the Model European Union

Scroll to see replies

My vision for the MEU would be that it's different and interesting - it would need more research due to the Treaties being binding, and end up with more debate along the lines of 'Which Treaty article empowers us to do this?'

That's the difference, and why I've voted to retain.
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
My vision for the MEU would be that it's different and interesting - it would need more research due to the Treaties being binding, and end up with more debate along the lines of 'Which Treaty article empowers us to do this?'

That's the difference, and why I've voted to retain.

So basically it's you like it because you see it as an opportunity to wave a law degree in people's faces even more to feel better about yourself in a way that the MHoC won't allow you (and the MEU won't either)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
So basically it's you like it because you see it as an opportunity to wave a law degree in people's faces even more to feel better about yourself in a way that the MHoC won't allow you (and the MEU won't either)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, not at all. I assume that everyone who wishes to participate is aware of the core competencies of the EU (and certainly, if they don't, they shouldn't be voting in the referendum), so it's a location to have a debate which is admittedly more legalistic, but in a different frame to MHoC, which is almost purely political in its approach.
No, not at all. I assume that everyone who wishes to participate is aware of the core competencies of the EU (and certainly, if they don't, they shouldn't be voting in the referendum), so it's a location to have a debate which is admittedly more legalistic, but in a different frame to MHoC, which is almost purely political in its approach.

So you expect this place to thrive when you expect people to be spending their time digging through the treaties rather than arguing their opinion? Again, sounds like a "look at my law degree you plebs" exercise for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So you expect this place to thrive when you expect people to be spending their time digging through the treaties rather than arguing their opinion? Again, sounds like a "look at my law degree you plebs" exercise for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Believe it or not, a law degree isn't 'read these Treaties and recite them'. I don't know the Treaties much better than anyone else who knows the first thing about the EU. But the whole reason a MEU is interesting in the first place - well, the two reasons - are the international element, and the non-sovereign element.
Believe it or not, a law degree isn't 'read these Treaties and recite them'. I don't know the Treaties much better than anyone else who knows the first thing about the EU. But the whole reason a MEU is interesting in the first place - well, the two reasons - are the international element, and the non-sovereign element.

From what people who are studying and have studied law have told me, it is very similar to what you suggest; it's also worth noting that arguably the EP is sovereign and the international element of a MEU is no greater than the MHoC in anything but name.

Posted from TSR Mobile
From what people who are studying and have studied law have told me, it is very similar to what you suggest; it's also worth noting that arguably the EP is sovereign and the international element of a MEU is no greater than the MHoC in anything but name.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those people are bad at studying law and have completely missed the point.

It's not even close to arguable that the EU is sovereign; it misses the essential requirement of statehood.

The international element is in having to consider the interaction of multiple countries' economies and e.g. eurozone/non-eurozone requirements. It's just all-round more technical and less dogmatic.
@adam9317 - what are the results of this with the illegitimate voters removed?
The result of this poll shown above and in this post include 39 voters. Anyone in TSR could vote on this, should they wish.
To remove 'illegitimate' votes, we will have to speak to QC, who works office hours- so that will have to wait to Monday.

Open the MEU-15
Close MEU-24

@toronto353 Results from your poll
Original post by adam9317
The result of this poll shown above and in this post include 39 voters. Anyone in TSR could vote on this, should they wish.
To remove 'illegitimate' votes, we will have to speak to QC, who works office hours- so that will have to wait to Monday.

Open the MEU-15
Close MEU-24

I suspect there may be quite a few illegitimate voters but 15 voted in favour which is good - it is what I expected. We can speak to QC and see where we go from here, yes.
Original post by adam9317

Open the MEU-15
Close MEU-24

Original post by Quamquam123
I suspect there may be quite a few illegitimate voters but 15 voted in favour which is good - it is what I expected. We can speak to QC and see where we go from here, yes.

Thanks for opening the results, adam. :smile: QC. could you send me a list of people who voted for and against this motion please and I will adjust the totals accordingly. After that, we can then move on - please note Quamquam, some of the voters in favour could also be illegitimate votes.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think 15, or close to that number, is more than enough support to continue.
Reply 72
I think 15, or close to that number, is more than enough support to continue.

I'd disagree but unfortunately that is close to the number of active MHoCers. So unless the most of the 15 are illegitimate then I agree
Original post by Aph
I'd disagree but unfortunately that is close to the number of active MHoCers. So unless the most of the 15 are illegitimate then I agree

I don't know tbh... If you look at activity with about 15 members, it's going to be a lot lot harder to have 15 active members with something that's barely started... At least the MHoC is developed enough that it's not against that too... If that makes sense lol
Reply 74
Original post by mobbsy91
I don't know tbh... If you look at activity with about 15 members, it's going to be a lot lot harder to have 15 active members with something that's barely started... At least the MHoC is developed enough that it's not against that too... If that makes sense lol

I'd assume that all 15 want to be active? And 15-20 seems to be the start of the MHoC too.
Original post by Aph
I'd assume that all 15 want to be active? And 15-20 seems to be the start of the MHoC too.

Well, I think it depends tbh, especially if all 15 of those (or all of x legit votes) are all part of the MHoC as well...
Reply 76
Well, I think it depends tbh, especially if all 15 of those (or all of x legit votes) are all part of the MHoC as well...

I guess we will just have to see.
Original post by Aph
I guess we will just have to see.

Yes.

If we start off with a base of 15 users and slowly grow it, the MEU has a chance to succeed.
Original post by Quamquam123
If we start off with a base of 15 users and slowly grow it, the MEU has a chance to succeed.

But your problem comes with how many of those 15 are from the MHoC and thus will draw activity away from there by posting here? In addition, how is it fair that 24 users have voted to shut this project down whereas only 15 want it to remain? By rights, this should now be shut, the forum archived as per the option the majority of people voted for.

Quick Reply