The Student Room Group

Vote on the future of the Model European Union

Scroll to see replies

Original post by toronto353
But your problem comes with how many of those 15 are from the MHoC and thus will draw activity away from there by posting here? In addition, how is it fair that 24 users have voted to shut this project down whereas only 15 want it to remain? By rights, this should now be shut, the forum archived as per the option the majority of people voted for.

If you ran a vote of some random constituency to shut the MHoC down, what do you think the result would be? If the MEU can sustain activity, it should be retained, whether people who don't use it want it there or not. This should not be regarded as a majority rule situation but rather one where interest is gauged.

Furthermore, I suspect that many active users in the MEU will barely have their MHoC activity detracted from - I certainly know this holds for me, when messing around on various websites makes up a good chunk of my non-social leisure time (my god that sounds sad... :biggrin: ).
Original post by Quamquam123
If we start off with a base of 15 users and slowly grow it, the MEU has a chance to succeed.

There is one massive assumption being made: that the MEU will be able to grow significantly in a short period of time when the MHoC is just limping along.
But your problem comes with how many of those 15 are from the MHoC and thus will draw activity away from there by posting here? In addition, how is it fair that 24 users have voted to shut this project down whereas only 15 want it to remain? By rights, this should now be shut, the forum archived as per the option the majority of people voted for.

Have you seen QC's earlier post? Those who voted against it will be removed from the list and won't be contacted about the MEU again.
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
If you ran a vote of some random constituency to shut the MHoC down, what do you think the result would be? If the MEU can sustain activity, it should be retained, whether people who don't use it want it there or not. This should not be regarded as a majority rule situation but rather one where interest is gauged.

Furthermore, I suspect that many active users in the MEU will barely have their MHoC activity detracted from - I certainly know this holds for me, when messing around on various websites makes up a good chunk of my non-social leisure time (my god that sounds sad... :biggrin: ).

Well said. The desire for the people that want the MEU to flourish shouldn't be dashed by others.
Original post by Jammy Duel
There is one massive assumption being made: that the MEU will be able to grow significantly in a short period of time when the MHoC is just limping along.

I believe that the MEU will attract a mixture of different people because it will offer more internationally based debates, something which some people may prefer to just national legislation.
Reply 85
I believe that the MEU will attract a mixture of different people because it will offer more internationally based debates, something which some people may prefer to just national legislation.

Is that why the MUN was doing so well.... Oh... Wait... It failed because people didn't care.
Have you seen QC's earlier post? Those who voted against it will be removed from the list and won't be contacted about the MEU again.

Yes I have and as I have said to QC via PM, I disagree with that stance entirely - the vote was not do you want to be involved in the MEU or not, the vote was what should happen to this subforum. The userbase has spoken and I don't see why the goal posts are being changed now. Tell me, if in three months, this forum still is in the state it's in today will you then close it or will you wish to continue the project as it has potential? We have to be realistic here and the MEU, if it keeps going, really is in last chance saloon.

The problem is that we don't know the true results yet, but if the majority of those eligible to vote chose to retain the forum as an archive of the MUN, then that vote should be respected - the remark about a random constituency is entirely irrelevant since the results are subject to correction.

The problem is that we don't know the true results yet, but if the majority of those eligible to vote chose to retain the forum as an archive of the MUN, then that vote should be respected - the remark about a random constituency is entirely irrelevant since the results are subject to correction.

So the constituency is potential participants in the MEU, which has been deemed to be MHoC members. The equivalent constituency for the MHoC would be the D&CA forum. Do you think that a majority decision by D&CA to shut down MHoC should be respected? No. There is no legitimate reason for MHoC to have authority over MEU; the display of sufficient interest should see it retained.
So the constituency is potential participants in the MEU, which has been deemed to be MHoC members. The equivalent constituency for the MHoC would be the D&CA forum. Do you think that a majority decision by D&CA to shut down MHoC should be respected? No. There is no legitimate reason for MHoC to have authority over MEU; the display of sufficient interest should see it retained.

Taking that point on board, however, how long should the project be allowed to continue if it doesn't develop further? It's alright speaking about developing it, but optimism doesn't get results.
Taking that point on board, however, how long should the project be allowed to continue if it doesn't develop further? It's alright speaking about developing it, but optimism doesn't get results.

I don't know, but I'd say that's for the site admins to decide. I doubt it requires much maintenance if nothing's happening, so no harm done.

If QC can put together a small team of people who want the MEU to get going, they can draw up a constitution, sort out the parties and flood the MEU with a range of interesting debates.
Yes I have and as I have said to QC via PM, I disagree with that stance entirely - the vote was not do you want to be involved in the MEU or not, the vote was what should happen to this subforum. The userbase has spoken and I don't see why the goal posts are being changed now. Tell me, if in three months, this forum still is in the state it's in today will you then close it or will you wish to continue the project as it has potential? We have to be realistic here and the MEU, if it keeps going, really is in last chance saloon.

If you disagree with the MEU, that's fine and I know you have never been a fan of it. What you and others shouldn't do though is spoil the fun for the 15 people that want the MEU to go ahead. As TDA has pointed out, would you like it if some random person put a poll up in the UK Politics forum to see if the MHoC should be closed?

Also, I don't see why you are getting involved anyway. If anyone was going to create a poll, it should have been Adam. You have been against the MEU from the start and you had no right to get involved. I think that letting people who had been against the MEU from the start was also a very pooor decision as this made the poll even less legitimate.
If you disagree with the MEU, that's fine and I know you have never been a fan of it. What you and others shouldn't do though is spoil the fun for the 15 people that want the MEU to go ahead. As TDA has pointed out, would you like it if some random person put a poll up in the UK Politics forum to see if the MHoC should be closed?

Also, I don't see why you are getting involved anyway. If anyone was going to create a poll, it should have been Adam. You have been against the MEU from the start and you had no right to get involved. I think that letting people who had been against the MEU from the start was also a very pooor decision as this made the poll even less legitimate.

Why should it have been Adam after he resigned?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why should it have been Adam after he resigned?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why should it have been toronto when all he has ever said is that the MEU should be closed down?
Why should it have been toronto when all he has ever said is that the MEU should be closed down?

The alternative was you don't even get the 15 formally supporting it and the majority option wins by default anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The alternative was you don't even get the 15 formally supporting it and the majority option wins by default anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. The alternative was that toronto and others who don't like it should not interfere and let those who want the MEU to succeed to be given a chance to do that.
Reply 96

He wasn't against it from the start... He's against it due to lack of action.
And Toronto did it because he was asked to by QC,
Original post by Aph
He wasn't against it from the start... He's against it due to lack of action.
And Toronto did it because he was asked to by QC,

I have never heard him say otherwise.

Well QC told me that the title of this poll should change and also posted her message in this thread, something which toronto is simply ignoring.
No. The alternative was that toronto and others who don't like it should not interfere and let those who want the MEU to succeed to be given a chance to do that.

You mean broadly as it was before with it being, ummm, probably closed down soon through lack of activity and interest?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 99
I have never heard him say otherwise.

Well QC told me that the title of this poll should change and also posted her message in this thread, something which toronto is simply ignoring.

Because he was happy to let this happen, but after a YEAR of inaction his attitude is understandable, that's the very reason why I don't belive that this can succeed anymore either.
Toronto said that he messaged her about that so you do not know what was said behind the scenes...

Quick Reply

Latest