The Student Room Group

Vote on the future of the Model European Union

This poll is closed

How should this subforum be used in the future?

Form a Model European Union 41%
Close down the subforum, archiving it as a record of the Model United Nations59%
Total votes: 29
Hi all,
There has been a lot of discussion on the future of the MEU and so it has been decided that a four day vote will be held on how we proceed from here, as directed by Queen Cersei. You will have two options - you can vote to allow the MEU to continue its development or you can vote to shut down the MEU, closing this subforum and archiving it as a record of the Model United Nations. Only those who have been involved in the MUN or in the MEU can participate in this vote to give as an accurate a representation of the will of this community as possible.

Please can I also make the request that the debate be held in a civil and courteous manner

Scroll to see replies

We should have a trial election asap and then see if any activity comes from it.

In some ways it's a shame because I would have been happy to take on a much bigger role but cannot to maintain my TSR neutrality.
Reply 2
It would be nice if it could work but I just don't see the user base which aren't members of the MHoC.
There simply isn't enough interest and that interest is from the MHoC.
I do not think it is time to hold this vote at all. At the moment, we haven't even trialled anything. We have no private sub forums. No President. No election. To judge it before it has started is absolutely absurd.

I, with the help of others have drawn up and edited this document here as a way of trying to kickstart the MEU. It should be given the chance to kickstart for those that want it to run rather than being shot down by any and all pessimists and cynics.

I completely reject the idea of this poll, but I have nevertheless voted to retain the MEU.
Original post by Aph
It would be nice if it could work but I just don't see the user base which aren't members of the MHoC.

Original post by Jammy Duel
There simply isn't enough interest and that interest is from the MHoC.

Agreed.
This is too early for a vote on the issue. This project has potential and I think we should give the new Leadership Team a chance to get it going. I would urge you to vote to keep it.
Reply 7
Original post by Quamquam123
This is too early for a vote on the issue. This project has potential and I think we should give the new Leadership Team a chance to get it going. I would urge you to vote to keep it.

Just to clarify, as far as I'm aware, there is no leadership team at present - I'm happy to be corrected, but that's my interpretation of the situation.
The arguments against closing it down are just bad excuses. There is no need for private forums in order to get things started and the half a year of little to no activity only proves that there is simply no interest. I am definitely not interested and as far as I know, no Conservative is either.

The MHoC is suffering from inactivity and admittedly things aren't great even in our party. New members show up, say hi, and that's often the last we ever hear from them. The best case scenario is that they can be persuaded to debate something within the party forum and vote, or just turn into voting robots and are replaced whenever they fail to keep up like the many Labour ones over the past year.

If you want to make things worse over there just so that this MEU experiment can be populated with current MHoC members who perhaps want to try their luck at fishing for an 'important' title, be prepared that you'll end up with two dysfunctional games and I think that's worse than having just one solid MHoC.
(edited 7 years ago)
I believe this project doesn't have the interest to succeed apart from the MHoC interest .....

I Urge people to vote to close the forum
You lot who are killing potential for activity are exactly the reason why people do not take part in new ideas like these and would much rather go to Reddit if they are interested.
Original post by Unown Uzer
You lot who are killing potential for activity are exactly the reason why people do not take part in new ideas like these and would much rather go to Reddit if they are interested.

So us after 6 months saying "nobody is here" is stopping people joining in? It's not like they just had 6 months to express interest or anything.
Original post by Life_peer
The arguments against closing it down are just bad excuses. There is no need for private forums in order to get things started and the half a year of little to no activity only proves that there is simply no interest. I am definitely not interested and as far as I know, no Conservative is either.

The MHoC is suffering from inactivity and admittedly things aren't great even in our party. New members show up, say hi, and that's often the last we ever hear from them. The best case scenario is that they can be persuaded to debate something within the party forum and vote, or just turn into voting robots and replaced whenever they fail to keep up like the many Labour ones over the past year.

If you want to make things worse over there just so that this MEU experiment can be populated with current MHoC members who perhaps want to try their luck in fishing for an 'important' title, be prepared that you'll end up with two dysfunctional games and I think that's worse than having just one solid MHoC.

I think your point about activity is just a bad excuse. People who have used off-site communication in recent weeks haven't suddenly stopped using the MHoC so I think your argument is flawed.
So us after 6 months saying "nobody is here" is stopping people joining in? It's not like they just had 6 months to express interest or anything.

People may have stumbled upon this, but saw there was nothing happening here, so they left.

I'm sorry, (i'm not), but we have every right to voice our opinions about the future of the MUN, as much as you have every right to voice yours. It is incredibly rude to say that we are the reason people are not taking part, when if you're that worried about the MEU, why didn't you yourself make more of an effort 5 or 6 months ago to get this going...

Don't try and blame those of who think it should be closed for the reason it hasn't succeeded up to this point. If people wanting this to go forward had done more, we wouldn't be here in this predicament, especially if people gave a damn about this place.
People may have stumbled upon this, but saw there was nothing happening here, so they left.

Then bitch at Adam who refused to get anything started, or how about blame yourself for not trying to make anything happen.
Original post by mobbsy91
I'm sorry, (i'm not), but we have every right to voice our opinions about the future of the MUN, as much as you have every right to voice yours. It is incredibly rude to say that we are the reason people are not taking part, when if you're that worried about the MEU, why didn't you yourself make more of an effort 5 or 6 months ago to get this going...

Don't try and blame those of who think it should be closed for the reason it hasn't succeeded up to this point. If people wanting this to go forward had done more, we wouldn't be here in this predicament, especially if people gave a damn about this place.

What is the point of closing this place? Why not just leave it as it is? What do you get out of closing it?
Reply 17
What is the point of closing this place? Why not just leave it as it is? What do you get out of closing it?

A stronger MHoC (reason enough really)

Less confusion about where we stand on different issues.

Letting the dead rest

I used to be all for the MEU, but it has died, if we didn't have sub-forums everyone could have stood as indies at first. We didn't need a constitution at first much like the original MHoC didn't have one. There has been so little activity in this place that anything less than closing it is pointless.
Then bitch at Adam who refused to get anything started, or how about blame yourself for not trying to make anything happen.

No, if you lot actually gave this place a chance by allowing an election to be held and seeing if this place is active after the parliament has been set up, and this place fails to be active, then I would agree that this is a failure. But we have not even started, so this place has not failed. Adam has been trying very hard and has done an excellent job, but before we have had the opportunity to have private forums set up, you lot start coming in demanding that this place should be closed. That's why I am putting the blame on you and your defeatists.
No, if you lot actually gave this place a chance by allowing an election to be held and seeing if this place is active after the parliament has been set up, and this place fails to be active, then I would agree that this is a failure. But we have not even started, so this place has not failed. Adam has been trying very hard and has done an excellent job, but before we have had the opportunity to have private forums set up, you lot start coming in demanding that this place should be closed. That's why I am putting the blame on you and your defeatists.

If he's been trying so hard then how come basically nothing happened over the 5 months he was in charge? Why was it that he was incapable of doing anything at all until private subs were made?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending