The Student Room Group

PPE or Economics & Management degree (at King's College) career prospects.

Hi, so I have been offered a place for both the PPE and Econ & Management courses at King's. I have two days to make a decision, but I am torn between the two.
I'm not really into the Philo part of PPE, so I would probably drop philo after the first year and focus more on the Econ part.
Also, I will probably want to work in Banking, finance or consulting after I graduate.
My heart says PPE but my fear is that it will be harder to find a good job in those industries with a PPE degree than Econ & Management.
Lastly, I will definitely do an MBA later on, which (correct me if I'm wrong) will compensate any weaknesses I might have on the managerial side if I choose PPE rather than Econ & Management.
Thank you in advance!
Reply 1
If you are not keen on philosophy, don't do PPE. Full stop. It's not just some side show, it is a part of the degree course. Economics and management will also be better for what you wish to go into, as you will cover finance and such in the management side as well as the economics side. With PPE, if you want to do it for the politics, which must be the reason, if not the name, then ask to do a politics and Economics degree...they will most likely transfer you.

I would seriously think about the amount of reading and work you would have to do for philosophy if you don't even particularly like it...it will be a hell of a lot, for something which doesn't catch you intrigue.
Degree does not matter at all. What matters is the university you are attending. What you learn at university, you can not apply in the real world. You are paying for having the brand name on your CV in hope that you get noticed.

Choose what you will find more interesting. People do MBA qualifications with completely irrelevant degrees.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending