The Student Room Group

English language AQA thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by surina16
I messed up the timings so much and so I had like 40 mins (or less) for the whole of Section B so I just kinda panicked and wrote such rubbish bs :redface:

Forty minutes isn't too bad! :smile: I'm sure you've underestimated yourself
Original post by TheNerdxP
Forty minutes isn't too bad! :smile: I'm sure you've underestimated yourself

I guess but I spent like 10 of those minutes just panicking and accepting defeat :lol:
Thanks, I hope so tbh. I think the examiners know that it's a push for time every year so they might be a bit lenient towards us like they apparently usually are :smile:
I'm sure you did great :h:
The examination was in fact easy to an extent, I filled in 2 booklets with about 35 paragraphs altogether, I had done Of Mice and Men from section A and question 10 from section B. There were many things to talk about in Of Mice and Men so I picked sentence by sentence and analysed many single words and how they were related (language based) to an event of a dream the characters had felt in the book.
Reply 23
Original post by TheNerdxP
So did I, maybe it wasn't too original then for me? damn xD but we've all explained it in different ways, I talked about Donald Trump and David Cameron xD

How did you manage to bring them into it?
XD
Original post by Wordnerd2
How did you manage to bring them into it?
XD

Well for question six about the holidays abroad I just started talking about how everyone's conformed through technology promoting propaganda. I said something like 'Put down your phone! I don't care if you're seeing if Donald Trump would really make America great again'. Actually I went really deep into it saying that people like him make us afraid when we should go to the seaside and we should keep out of politics XD (obviously I was more descriptive)
Original post by surina16
I guess but I spent like 10 of those minutes just panicking and accepting defeat :lol:
Thanks, I hope so tbh. I think the examiners know that it's a push for time every year so they might be a bit lenient towards us like they apparently usually are :smile:
I'm sure you did great :h:

Yeah me too, it was because I spent 15 mins on question 2 and 3. Then I only spent 24 mins on question 4 so I had 40 mins left for section B.:redface: Hopefully the grade boundaries are low like last year for A*.:biggrin: Also for question 1, I only wrote 1 and a half pages so I feel like it isn't enough for 7/8marks! How much did you write for question 1?:smile:
Reply 26
Original post by Wordnerd2
All I can say is I really want one of those cliffside slides... on a general note I thought it was fine, wbu?

Yeah I really want that slide too and the paper was alright just wished we had more time 😫
Original post by Ara8311a
I went for yours sincerely because i couldn't remember which one it was. I don't think it matters that much. I read through an example answer that got high marks and they didn't even do a letter format; it was basically just an article and it got one off full marks. So don't worry about it! :smile:

I wrote to the editor of the newspaper so I wrote yours sincerely and wrote 'dear editor'! Is that right?:frown:
For question 5 I wrote about me being a hot dog eating champion and being sick in a competition but powering through and eating the rest of them and achieving a new world record for this. It got kinda disgusting when talking about myself being sick and everything. Will the examiner be put off by this and mark me down just because its a bit disgusting? I just wanted to be original but now I am worried it was a little too far lol
Original post by starstudent7
I wrote to the editor of the newspaper so I wrote yours sincerely and wrote 'dear editor'! Is that right?:frown:

As long as you addressed it and ended it appropriately it shouldn't an issue
Original post by MaxHSloan
For question 5 I wrote about me being a hot dog eating champion and being sick in a competition but powering through and eating the rest of them and achieving a new world record for this. It got kinda disgusting when talking about myself being sick and everything. Will the examiner be put off by this and mark me down just because its a bit disgusting? I just wanted to be original but now I am worried it was a little too far lol

They might be disgusted but that won't affect their marking of it, as long as you write it well then you won't get marked down. They'll probably appreciate that it's original and may enjoy it more so that could help! I bet they won't get many answers like that and thats always a good thing
Original post by harrisonchar
As long as you addressed it and ended it appropriately it shouldn't an issue

Oh ok:smile: Thank you, I did address it and ended it well.:smile:
Original post by BULL14
What did you write about the subheading. I wrote about how the sibilance gives, it a sense of spite emphasising the anger the council. for the picture, I mention the contrast between the dead rock and alive grass and how it emphasises the danger. Do you these are valid interpretations?

However, for question five, I forget to finish it will yours faithfully :frown:

I did the exact same with Q5! 😥

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi I'm doing GCSE AQA English today , say if I get D in exam and B on coursework and what will I get overall? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by harrisonchar
They might be disgusted but that won't affect their marking of it, as long as you write it well then you won't get marked down. They'll probably appreciate that it's original and may enjoy it more so that could help! I bet they won't get many answers like that and thats always a good thing

Alright cheers :smile:
Reply 35
For q6 could you write that you'd rather stay in Britain?
did you have to write a letter for the writing questions in sec b
Reply 37
Original post by WillL7
For q6 could you write that you'd rather stay in Britain?

Yes

Original post by akshitnashine

Only for q5
Reply 38
Original post by akshitnashine
only for q5
Reply 39
Original post by luciie
Yes Mate you don't know how relieved I am 😂

Quick Reply