The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Freshers

What events is everyone going to during freshers week? Also what course and accommodation? Anyone getting a job?

Sorry for so many questions haha

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Honey998
What events is everyone going to during freshers week? Also what course and accommodation? Anyone getting a job?

Hey honey!

Thought I'd reply as I'm just browsing.
I have no idea what I'm doing on freshers week haha, need some advice and I have just booked cranborne house for accommodation. What about you?
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Original post by Jbr97
Hey honey!

I have no idea what I'm doing on freshers week haha, need some advice and I have just booked cranborne house for accommodation. What about you?

Hey guys, studying Games Programming and staying at Dorchester House. Other than getting completely smashed no other plans for freshers either :smile:. I do know someone that is staying in cranborne, i'll send him your way so you can get chatting
Hey Everyone!

Studying Software Engineering, accomodation booked is Dorchester House. Not much plans for freshers apart from getting drunk :smile:
Original post by ConorTyler98
Hey Everyone!

Studying Software Engineering, accomodation booked is Dorchester House. Not much plans for freshers apart from getting drunk :smile:

Finally someone else in Dorchester :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Jbr97
Hey honey!

Hi!

I don't know whether to book any tickets or not. I was thinking cranborne or Dorchester!
Reply 6
Original post by JackAM1997
Hey guys, studying Games Programming and staying at Dorchester House. Other than getting completely smashed no other plans for freshers either :smile:. I do know someone that is staying in cranborne, i'll send him your way so you can get chatting

Cheers dude:smile:
I'm planning to get a job.
Reply 8
Finally someone else in Dorchester :smile:

Also booked into Dorchester, studying Computing. no plans as of yet, but the usual drinks would seem appropriate
Reply 9
Hey, I'm in Dorchester as well :smile: I'm going to be studying Media Production!
I haven't fully decided on whether I'm going to get a job yet... I'll see how the first term goes.
In terms of Freshers, I've booked my ticket to the Ice Breaker event on the Monday night but that is it so far :smile:
Original post by Lyds9612
Hey, I'm in Dorchester as well :smile: I'm going to be studying Media Production!
I haven't fully decided on whether I'm going to get a job yet... I'll see how the first term goes.
In terms of Freshers, I've booked my ticket to the Ice Breaker event on the Monday night but that is it so far :smile:

where do you get the tickets from? could you leave a link, i have no idea what there is
Reply 11
where do you get the tickets from? could you leave a link, i have no idea what there is

I believe this is what we're on about
https://www.fatsoma.com/the-big-freshers-icebreaker/o78lx6ty/the-big-freshers-icebreaker-bournemouth
Reply 12
I would get a ticket but I have no one to go with. Do you guys have people to go with?
Reply 13
I would get a ticket but I have no one to go with. Do you guys have people to go with?

Nope, going solo and make some friends there is the aim! :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by Dzero4
Nope, going solo and make some friends there is the aim! :biggrin:

Really? I dunno if I have the confidence to do that. I'm hoping to get Dorchester in August.
With regards to Freshers week, just wait till you arrive at your accommodation and see which event your flatmates have booked and go with them. My flat just waited and we purchased the tickets on the day of the event. Don't buy the wristbands, complete waste of money because you may not even have friends that are going to that event, so it's a waste.
Reply 16
Original post by dunno203
With regards to Freshers week, just wait till you arrive at your accommodation and see which event your flatmates have booked and go with them. My flat just waited and we purchased the tickets on the day of the event. Don't buy the wristbands, complete waste of money because you may not even have friends that are going to that event, so it's a waste.

Apparently the events are selling out though?

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give you the official word from BU. SUBU (the Students' Union) will arrange any official arrivals events and will get in contact with you about tickets. Anything else (not from SUBU) is unofficial, and we'd strongly recommend waiting before buying any tickets.

Hope that clears things up for you! You're all going to have a great time in Bournemouth, and there's plenty of time for getting event tickets, so don't worry. In the mean time, you could like SUBU on Facebook, and then you'll be able to find out about official events.

Katie

They say they will run out but they don't. Plus some students are always selling tickets as they're reps or they're going to another event.

Hi Honey998,

My name is Steve and I'm a student ambassador for BU here on The Student Room.

I thought I'd highlight the job section of your post for anyone lurking and wondering about part-time jobs in Bournemouth.

There's a lot of part-time work available in Bournemouth, with the town being a hub for so many restaurants, bars and shops. I worked for Argos during my first and second year and it was really easy to fit in at least 6 hours a week. My advice would be to hand CVs out in town as soon as possible since a lot of the businesses searching for people will be looking to replace the outgoing students in their final year/ going on placement.

There are also jobs available working for the University which are really flexible and pay well. Being a student ambassador is one, so I'd definitely look at applying for the role- make sure you're checking your Uni emails during Fresher's week and there will be a stool set up at the Fresher's Fair where you can ask more questions. Working for the Student Union shop and bar is also an option and really flexible too. I think the key is to be proactive with giving out your CV. The added bit of money is always useful as a first year and working regularly means that you can refer to examples when going for interviews later on!

If anyone has any questions about jobs, let me know!

Steve Moss

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending