The Student Room Group

why are the grade boundaries for english lang and lit edexcel so low???

why are the grade boundaries for english lang and lit edexcel so low???

is it because the examiners mark harshly or because many people are bad are english, which I don't think seems to be true???
Reply 1
Think about it, maths and sciences for example, you could sort of guarentee yourself marks on a question or even near to full marks on the whole paper if you knew for a fact the stuff you were writing down what would give you full marks on that specific question because it's kinda formulaic in a way, but that's totally opposite for english as the subject is very free and with english you don't have an idea of what the marks you'll get be, but have a rough idea from mocks and reading paragraphs you've made. There is probably quite a few other factors though. To get full marks in english you'll probably have to be beyond PERFECTION but for e.g. a science you could just answer all the questions correctly to get full marks. Easier to pick up marks i guess aswell.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by B3ASTy
Think about it, maths and sciences for example, you could sort of guarentee yourself marks on a question or even near to full marks on the whole paper if you knew for a fact the stuff you were writing down what would give you full marks on that specific question because it's kinda formulaic in a way, but that's totally opposite for english as the subject is very free and with english you don't have an idea of what the marks you'll get be, but have a rough idea from mocks and reading paragraphs you've made. There is probably quite a few other factors though.

would you say that english is marked more leniently because there is no specific right or wrong answer??
Reply 3
Original post by esmeralda123
would you say that english is marked more leniently because there is no specific right or wrong answer??

Maybe.
It's because everyone has to do it so more people need to get an A* then say for geography, grade boundaries are worked out on predictions from Year 6 SATs and the number of people who took the exam and what grades they got affects it, that's why they always vary every year
Reply 5
Original post by harrisonchar
It's because everyone has to do it so more people need to get an A* then say for geography, grade boundaries are worked out on predictions from Year 6 SATs and the number of people who took the exam and what grades they got affects it, that's why they always vary every year

Funny things is geography grade boundaries are pretty low.
Reply 6

do you think that getting a B in the English lit and lang exam is hard?
how bad would you need to do to get a B?
Original post by B3ASTy

Sorry didn't realise you were an expert but you're but right they are so that probably wasn't a good example for me to use, take PE however the grade boundaries are stupidly high because so few people take it
Original post by esmeralda123
do you think that getting a B in the English lit and lang exam is hard?
how bad would you need to do to get a B?

It honestly depends on what grades you achieved on your coursework and it's not my place to say whether I think it's hard or not because it's personal preference and dependant on your ability.
Reply 9
Sorry didn't realise you were an expert but you're but right they are so that probably wasn't a good example for me to use, take PE however the grade boundaries are stupidly high because so few people take it

Sorry if i sounded arrogant, you can only see words not how i'd say it :wink: :frown: :colondollar::h:
Reply 10
Original post by B3ASTy

edexcel gcse geography needs a 90% overall for an a*........
Original post by B3ASTy
Sorry if i sounded arrogant, you can only see words not how i'd say it :wink: :frown: :colondollar::h:

That's true so sorry for jumping to conclusions about your tone there, it was your use of the funny at the beginning as if trying to contradict me, but my apologies!
Original post by gameofno

That will depend year on year, grade boundaries differ each exam season but that does seem pretty high, as previously stated I was only using it as an example and obviously picked the wrong subject to use
Reply 13
That will depend year on year, grade boundaries differ each exam season but that does seem pretty high, as previously stated I was only using it as an example and obviously picked the wrong subject to use

yeah true, im pretty sure it was like 80% actually last year :tongue:

46/75 for an A* from last years physical paper.
Reply 15
Original post by B3ASTy
46/75 for an A* from last years physical paper.

what none of my exams are out of 75 for geog? its out of like 54, 69, 69, AND 50 for coursework
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Grade-boundaries/GCSE/1506-GCSE-Grade-Boundaries.pdf
what none of my exams are out of 75 for geog? its out of like 54, 69, 69, AND 50 for coursework
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Grade-boundaries/GCSE/1506-GCSE-Grade-Boundaries.pdf

edexcel's style looks very different in geo, no idea how it works.
Reply 17
how did this jump from english to PE all of a sudden :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest