The Student Room Group

Advice on uni prep

Hey. I'm currently on a gap year working, and will be going to Nottingham to study physics. I haven't really done any maths since leaving school, so I'm a bit worried about it.

I was pretty decent at maths at school, got a solid A, but obviously I've forgotten a fair bit. For example, completely forgot chain/product rule. But after a quick look over the equations, I was doing pretty much every question fine, probably as well as when I did my exams.

The other thing is, I didn't do FM. Some people have said I will find it reallyyyy hard, others say it's all covered in the first few weeks. Of course not everyone has done it anyways, so it might just be a bit more learning rather than recapping to begin with, but not too bad.

So just wondering what I should do. I have a friends doing physics at Leicester, and tbf, she was no where near as good at maths as me. She's suggest that I have a go at FM1, just to become familiar with basic complex numbers, matrices, etc. Also plan on going over integration, differential and vectors from C3/4. Any thoughts on what I should be doing, or how hard I should expect it to be?
Reply 1
Original post by MattyJMP
Hey. I'm currently on a gap year working, and will be going to Nottingham to study physics. I haven't really done any maths since leaving school, so I'm a bit worried about it.

I was pretty decent at maths at school, got a solid A, but obviously I've forgotten a fair bit. For example, completely forgot chain/product rule. But after a quick look over the equations, I was doing pretty much every question fine, probably as well as when I did my exams.

The other thing is, I didn't do FM. Some people have said I will find it reallyyyy hard, others say it's all covered in the first few weeks. Of course not everyone has done it anyways, so it might just be a bit more learning rather than recapping to begin with, but not too bad.

So just wondering what I should do. I have a friends doing physics at Leicester, and tbf, she was no where near as good at maths as me. She's suggest that I have a go at FM1, just to become familiar with basic complex numbers, matrices, etc. Also plan on going over integration, differential and vectors from C3/4. Any thoughts on what I should be doing, or how hard I should expect it to be?

If not everyone has done it then it will be explained. So you might want to look at stuff to get a headstart but it isn't necessary.

Many people struggle with the living away from home aspects. It might be worthwhile to learn to cook, budget, hoover, wash clothes etc. Even if you can only cook pasta it's a good start.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending