The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

yan2004
hopefully LSE

goodluck.
Reply 81
thanks and u, ur going cambridge rnt u? what college? also what part of IB r u interested in?
yan2004
thanks and u, ur going cambridge rnt u? what college? also what part of IB r u interested in?

yeah, dunno really, I am thinking M&A, real estate or perhaps Asset Mgmt or high net worth people. Corporate Finance sounds pretty cool, but I really hope I can get an internship to experience one of these areas!

I am also considering M&A/insolvency/real estate in Law.

What areas are you interested in?
Reply 83
im kinda interested in fund/asset management, or some sort of trading, wouldnt mind going into emerging markets, i think thatd be really interesting. but also being a chartered accountant is an option. yeah i hope i can get some sort of internships and work experience in the next couple of years too. they're fastly becoming the best way to enter IB and high finance. trying to get some sort of finance placements or temp work atm...any...to get some sort of experience and some money for next year.
yan2004
im kinda interested in fund/asset management, or some sort of trading, wouldnt mind going into emerging markets, i think thatd be really interesting. but also being a chartered accountant is an option. yeah i hope i can get some sort of internships and work experience in the next couple of years too. they're fastly becoming the best way to enter IB and high finance. trying to get some sort of finance placements or temp work atm...any...to get some sort of experience and some money for next year.

I will be attending Wolfson. A friend of a friend had arranged something for me at the GAM division of UBS for Jul-Aug this year, but I could not be released from my current employers as I am on 3 months notice! Pretty pissed off about it - hopefully they can sort me out next summer.

I think cos of my degree subject I'll have to get placements every holiday if I am gonna stand any chance of getting a grad place!
Reply 85
thats harsh, wud have been a great experience/opportunity. im just looking for temp work atm. have applied to a couple of intenships which didnt specify penultimate year, altho thats prob what they inteneded, and some said ideal for students and summer work, also emailed some hr managers but had negative replies so far and not really hopeful in these respects.

i know ive got one friend whose going trinity and another who is either st johns or sidney sussex. i recon extra curricular activity wud help too as well.
yan2004
thats harsh, wud have been a great experience/opportunity. im just looking for temp work atm. have applied to a couple of intenships which didnt specify penultimate year, altho thats prob what they inteneded, and some said ideal for students and emailed some hr managers but had negative replies so far and not really hopeful in these respects.

i know ive got one friend whose going trinity and another who is either st johns or sidney sussex. i recon extra curricular activity wud help too as well.

Yeah, I think I'll have to make sure to get involved in many finance extra curricular stuff. It's pretty difficult to demonstate an aptitude in finance without taking finance/economics papers! Although IB is not my def career choice quite yet - would have been good to do that placement so I could decide if I might want to change onto a business course to become more attractive to banks!!!!
Reply 87
Young Enterprise is a good way, I've found, of getting a good grounding in finance that is quite gentle but still counts as good experience, if anyone is still of that age.
Lord Huntroyde
Young Enterprise is a good way, I've found, of getting a good grounding in finance that is quite gentle but still counts as good experience, if anyone is still of that age.

Although I am past that stage, what is Young Enterprise?
Reply 89
MentallyIll
Although I am past that stage, what is Young Enterprise?

A charity where GCSE/AS-level pupils set up their own company and try to mke a success of it.

It's quite fun.
Lord Huntroyde
A charity where GCSE/AS-level pupils set up their own company and try to mke a success of it.

It's quite fun.

Thanks, nice idea.
Has anyone read the Vault Career guide to IB?....if anyone has, I hear it is an American title, does that affect it's usefulness???
Reply 92
have u been to www.efinancialcareers.co.uk thats one of the best sites around i recon. also hobson's financial guide is ok, to an extent, think this is it http://ukcareers.hobsons.com/careers_content.jsp?id=FINANCE
also another american careers site with some useful IB stuff is www.wetfeet.com
yan2004
have u been to www.efinancialcareers.co.uk thats pretty good

Been there briefly, but I kinda prefer having a book to read on the tube! You read any good books on Ibanking?

Edit: just read your edits. cheers.
Reply 94
ive read liar's poker, that was quite good altho a lot went over my head cos it was about a year ago, (ill prob read it again when i have more knowledge) it was about the author's experience at Salomon Brothers in New York in the 80s, BIG IB, think that's now salomon smith barney, which i fink is now part of citigroup, im sure someone will correct me if otherwise. i also took out some books about finance and IB from my careers library which were ok. if u look on amazon u mite find some decent books, the hobson's book isnt that great.
yan2004
ive read liar's poker, that was quite good altho a lot went over my head cos it was about a year ago, (ill prob read it again when i have more knowledge) it was about the author's experience at Salomon Brothers in New York in the 80s, BIG IB, think that's now salomon smith barney, which i fink is now part of citigroup, im sure someone will correct me if otherwise. i also took out some books about finance and IB from my careers library which were ok. if u look on amazon u mite find some decent books, the hobson's book isnt that great.

Yeah, I dont think Saloman are as highly rated as they once were! I might have a look at liar's poker. Cheers for the info.
Reply 96
yeah, but citigroup is one of the biggest IB's now if not the biggest, fink i read it in some newspaper. also liar's poker is a bit outdated i fink, and also if u do read it, it mite put u off a bit.
Reply 97
a ha...try this book "How to Make It in the City (A Virgin Careers Guide)" i think this is a good book, gives u an indepth description of most of the roles and advice and profiles etc etc
How To Read The Financial Pages (£16) is a bible for IB newbies.
Jools
How To Read The Financial Pages (£16) is a bible for IB newbies.

Was contemplating that one, but was put off by the critics!

I read 'How the City Works' (think it was called that). But was pretty basic stuff and was very tedious toward the end.

Jools - I seem to remember you were considering law as well...if so, you might be interested in the article on advice for Banking Law - you'll probably not get anything new out of it, but I thought it was a nice article
http://www.efinancialcareers.com/article_270.cfm?storyref=18500000000044834&section=19

I'd really like to know what people think about the vault career guides before I buy one.............

Latest

Trending

Trending