The Student Room Group

Problems with AS exams affecting university application

Hi, sorry, I'm just rather worried about my AS results and how they will impact on my university application. I feel that I won't have done as well as I thought I could due to illness. Our predicted grades for next year/UCAS are based off our AS's and I was just wondering if anyone knew if having bad AS results would severely impact my application (that hasn't really been explained to me at school) ? I need to get at least C's or B's this year. Also, all but one of my subjects is reformed so does that mean that those grade boundaries will be lower anyway? (Sorry, this post is very long!)
Hi!

First of all, if you're really concerned, I think it would definitely be worth letting your teachers/school know you were unwell and getting a doctors note (if possible). That way, when teachers are writing your references, they can say what you were targeted and why you may have achieved lower.

In terms of how it will affect your university applications, it completely depends on what you're applying for, the required grades and your personal statement. I achieved B, C, D, D, D at AS (C, D, D in my subjects I carried on to A2) and at the time I didn't disclose any of the medical issues I'd had during exams. I explained to my teachers in September and begged and begged for my grades to be raised, as I knew I needed at least A, B, B for Computer Science at York (my dream degree). I was told that I would probably get 5 rejections due to my low grades in relation to the asking grades of where I was applying, but I managed to get 4 offers from universities asking for A, A, B to B, B, C. However, I believe a number of things made this possible. I had a good personal statement that listed programming experience that most applicants hadn't, I'd listed that I was resitting things, had glowing references from my teachers explaining my mitigating circumstances and I was a girl in a subject which normally has a ratio of 1 girl to every 10/15 boys. Despite all of this, I probably got offers by the skin of my teeth and it's common for universities to give offers slightly below the requirements (but normally the likes of one grade down, not 6!). However, the pressure of going from C, D, D to A, B, B and my increasing mental health difficulties got too much for me and I ended up just doing a few resits that year and returning for another A2 year.

You're still in AS and next year is a whole other year. If you do really badly (and you could still do better than you think!), you have a whole 12 months to turn it around and prepare. Resits may still be available and, from what I've read, only the likes of Medicine degrees or highly ranked universities (e.g. Oxbridge) hold this slightly against you.

Discuss your options with your teachers in September and utilise their help as much as possible. I hope you're feeling better and good luck on results day. No matter what you get, it's not the end of the world - my predicted grades this year were A, A, B, without begging! Improving is possible. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by sophiebookley
Hi!

First of all, if you're really concerned, I think it would definitely be worth letting your teachers/school know you were unwell and getting a doctors note (if possible). That way, when teachers are writing your references, they can say what you were targeted and why you may have achieved lower.

In terms of how it will affect your university applications, it completely depends on what you're applying for, the required grades and your personal statement. I achieved B, C, D, D, D at AS (C, D, D in my subjects I carried on to A2) and at the time I didn't disclose any of the medical issues I'd had during exams. I explained to my teachers in September and begged and begged for my grades to be raised, as I knew I needed at least A, B, B for Computer Science at York (my dream degree). I was told that I would probably get 5 rejections due to my low grades in relation to the asking grades of where I was applying, but I managed to get 4 offers from universities asking for A, A, B to B, B, C. However, I believe a number of things made this possible. I had a good personal statement that listed programming experience that most applicants hadn't, I'd listed that I was resitting things, had glowing references from my teachers explaining my mitigating circumstances and I was a girl in a subject which normally has a ratio of 1 girl to every 10/15 boys. Despite all of this, I probably got offers by the skin of my teeth and it's common for universities to give offers slightly below the requirements (but normally the likes of one grade down, not 6!). However, the pressure of going from C, D, D to A, B, B and my increasing mental health difficulties got too much for me and I ended up just doing a few resits that year and returning for another A2 year.

You're still in AS and next year is a whole other year. If you do really badly (and you could still do better than you think!), you have a whole 12 months to turn it around and prepare. Resits may still be available and, from what I've read, only the likes of Medicine degrees or highly ranked universities (e.g. Oxbridge) hold this slightly against you.

Discuss your options with your teachers in September and utilise their help as much as possible. I hope you're feeling better and good luck on results day. No matter what you get, it's not the end of the world - my predicted grades this year were A, A, B, without begging! Improving is possible. :smile:

Thank you so much for your reply :smile: Regarding the illness situation, I'm getting letters from my doctor and school nurse to apply for special consideration which should help a bit. For the course I want to do (Chemistry at Newcastle), I need BBC (through PARTNERS Scheme) next year so CCD at AS (I think I can manage that?). I'm just worried about the predicted grades as our predictions are only ever 1 grade higher than at AS; I know I'm able to resit my French next year as it isn't reformed which does take the pressure off slightly, and I've been consistantly at B/A all year in French so I'm hoping that my teachers take that into account *crosses fingers*
Also, thank you for explaining about resitting - it really helped and reassured me! :smile:
Original post by TrixieOwl
Thank you so much for your reply :smile: Regarding the illness situation, I'm getting letters from my doctor and school nurse to apply for special consideration which should help a bit. For the course I want to do (Chemistry at Newcastle), I need BBC (through PARTNERS Scheme) next year so CCD at AS (I think I can manage that?). I'm just worried about the predicted grades as our predictions are only ever 1 grade higher than at AS; I know I'm able to resit my French next year as it isn't reformed which does take the pressure off slightly, and I've been consistantly at B/A all year in French so I'm hoping that my teachers take that into account *crosses fingers*
Also, thank you for explaining about resitting - it really helped and reassured me! :smile:

I'm glad I helped! BBC from CCD sounds pretty reasonable, especially since you'll have medical evidence and have resit opportunities. Good luck again, message me if you need to know anything else. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by sophiebookley
I'm glad I helped! BBC from CCD sounds pretty reasonable, especially since you'll have medical evidence and have resit opportunities. Good luck again, message me if you need to know anything else. :smile:

I hope it will be fine :smile: Thank you!
Reply 5
I'd like to think as well that your teachers would give you a target grade 1 grade above your AS (Maybe not if you got an E or D) as the highest in AS is an A therefore if you achieved 90% in one exam at AS, got an A then next year 90% would've been an A* and so it goes down....

Quick Reply

Latest