The Student Room Group

Why does everyone like maths?

I have no idea what forum to post it in so decided to put it in a-level.

I just hate maths sososo much, I have no idea what Pythagoras theorem got to do with real life situation, especially angel laws, and square root, stuff like that, they seem so pointless could someone explain???

Mostly everyone I know and my friends loves maths and science as its their strongest subject. Its seem my family members thing too,so i feel really dumb and the odd one out.

Maths is literally the hardest thing in the world for me,its like you need the correct answer whereas for Literature you could get marks for various answers. No matter how much i try to remember how to solve out a question, after a hour i forget everything i learn, its like my brain and numbers dont go well together lol. It just depresses me.

Scroll to see replies

Bruh, when are you ever going to analyse the sibilance of 's' sounds creating the sound of a hissing snake which implies that there is betrayal, in real life? :colonhash:
Agreed
Maths is ruining my life right now snd when other people find it easy ireally annoys me. However science is great I love science; physics not so much but I can bear it. I just can't wait to get it over with and go in to do a levels in science and NOT maths.
By the way A level maths is like being in hell only with numbers and letters instead of fire.
Original post by surina16
Bruh, when are you ever going to analyse the sibilance of 's' sounds creating the sound of a hissing snake which implies that there is betrayal, in real life? :colonhash:

Lol
Original post by bikiniikilll

I just hate maths sososo much, I have no idea what Pythagoras theorem got to do with real life situation, especially angel laws, and square root, stuff like that, they seem so pointless could someone explain???

Mostly everyone I know and my friends loves maths and science as its their strongest subject. Its seem my family members thing too,so i feel really dumb and the odd one out.

Maths is literally the hardest thing in the world for me,its like you need the correct answer whereas for Literature you could get marks for various answers. No matter how much i try to remember how to solve out a question, after a hour i forget everything i learn, its like my brain and numbers dont go well together lol. It just depresses me.

I enjoy it as it only has one answer (usually) unlike other subjects where it is so subjective that it feels like pot luck (die english).
Original post by Matilda612
Agreed
Maths is ruining my life right now snd when other people find it easy ireally annoys me. However science is great I love science; physics not so much but I can bear it. I just can't wait to get it over with and go in to do a levels in science and NOT maths.
By the way A level maths is like being in hell only with numbers and letters instead of fire.

Rather go to math hell than cloud land and be Gods slave for eternity.
Agreed
It's so logical and it all makes so much more sense than other subjects.

Spoiler

Original post by Bernie2016
I enjoy it as it only has one answer (usually) unlike other subjects where it is so subjective that it feels like pot luck (die english).

Agreed - I regret taking history at AS Level so much it's too subjective for me and like there's no wrong answer but there's no set way of approaching and there's no way to improve

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spoiler

Original post by Matilda612
Agreed

Science is okay, i like chemistry out of biology and physics, chemistry is more straight forward. However its not the subject I'm passionate about
Reply 11

This made me laugh so hard.
I hate this ' revising A Lev maths ' pop up poster.

Its not everyday show up on my screen.

I don't do A level maths so why cant it go once and for all.
Original post by nomophobia
Agreed - I regret taking history at AS Level so much it's too subjective for me and like there's no wrong answer but there's no set way of approaching and there's no way to improve

Posted from TSR Mobile

I decided to take History, is it just more harder then gcse history? as in the structure of exams
Original post by Blackstarr
I hate this ' revising A Lev maths ' pop up poster.

Its not everyday show up on my screen.

I don't do A level maths so why cant it go once and for all.

I'm doing Gcse Maths lol, I just felt like expressing my feelings towards it.

I have something on my computer that could go on top of that:
sorry you have to zoom in XD

(edited 7 years ago)
I'm doing Gcse Maths lol, I just felt like expressing my feelings towards it.

Seriously? They are making GCSE maths harder as it is too easy... Be grateful you are doing it this year.

Everyone is different, I love Maths(not to annoy you) but English not so much, some people love English but hate Maths, but I think people should know it to at least a grade C GCSE(but that's just me)
x

Everything you use in technology nowadays can be traced down to the basic level of maths where everything started off.

Maths isn't a subject, which you fall in :love: at the start but you fall in :heart: with the processing of learning more and adapting as you go. The blunt truth why you may feel "dumb" is due to either a lack of commitment of :work: and revising for exams or putting the work in for a long term goal. Sure, you'll face obstacles along the way just like any other Greatest of all time(:rip: @MAli ) but that's how you improve through the moments you make mistakes and learn from them.

As a former History student I can say at least for History not necessarily other humanities you can literally b.s your answer and waffle on your perspective and providing you use PEEL you'll score a pretty good grade. However, the thing why I like maths is you don't get awarded 100% for the answer (except for
GCSE :lol: ) but where the real marks come from are your method marks and how you got there.

Maths isn't just about practicing but also understanding at least for Core(regular maths) and applied maths(mechanics). :rant: @statistics = plug n play formulas!

Why do I :love: maths? Because Maths is the language of Physics and you can write in a few basic lines with a chalk+whiteboard the laws that govern everything from the very small to the largest scale.

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by XxKingSniprxX

Why do I :love: maths? Because Maths is the language of Physics and you can write in a few basic lines with a chalk+whiteboard the laws that govern everything from the very small to the largest scale.

Quite a simplistic view of maths it is- to relate it to physics.

Quick Reply

Latest