The Student Room Group

Why does everyone like maths?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hassassin04
Quite a simplistic view of maths it is- to relate it to physics.

Everyone's boat floats in different bearings. :tongue:

Hope you get what I meant by that. ^
Maths underpins the world we live in and is an amazingly beautiful subject :u:

Each to their own :h:
Reply 22
Cos theta, that's why
Original post by Bulletzone
I have something on my computer that could go on top of that:
sorry you have to zoom in XD

This is wrong unfortunately there are often reasons we do things a good example would be in WW2 where people were advised to have black curtains so that German aircraft could not easily see targets.

That analysis might well make a lot of sense in the terms of the rest of the book.I do think writers often thought about what they were writing they are certainly trying to make readers feel certain things so are trying to achieve certain affects with certain words rather than just writing the words.

You may have had a point in that in Reading you often write explanations that are not what the author initially meant and that doesn't make them incorrect but texts can be seen in different lights and interpreted differently.
Original post by Dalek1099
This is wrong unfortunately there are often reasons we do things a good example would be in WW2 where people were advised to have black curtains so that German aircraft could not easily see targets.

That analysis might well make a lot of sense in the terms of the rest of the book.I do think writers often thought about what they were writing they are certainly trying to make readers feel certain things so are trying to achieve certain affects with certain words rather than just writing the words.

You may have had a point in that in Reading you often write explanations that are not what the author initially meant and that doesn't make them incorrect but texts can be seen in different lights and interpreted differently.

I ain't ever going to do it again though. :biggrin:
Every day having to be perceptive and stuff, I guarantee the Examiners won't be perceptive when marking my Descriptive piece (I had to note down why i used certain words), so why should I do so?
Reply 25
Every day having to be perceptive and stuff, I guarantee the Examiners won't be perceptive when marking my Descriptive piece (I had to note down why i used certain words), so why should I do so?

You are being examined, not them..
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
You are being examined, not them..

Hence the reason why I had to spend time annotating why I used particular words, My Q.5 was about a race and a white car drove past just before it began. I literally had to put down the side "The white car is a symbolic meaning of Hope"
Reply 27
Hence the reason why I had to spend time annotating why I used particular words, My Q.5 was about a race and a white car drove past just before it began. I literally had to put down the side "The white car is a symbolic meaning of Hope"

You were told to indicate the symbolism/meaning, or you decided you ought to? :s
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
You were told to indicate the symbolism/meaning, or you decided you ought to? :s

I decided I ought to, because I knew the examiner's were not going to be perceptive.
Original post by TheOtherSide.

Spoiler

Good ol' XKCD

I doubt it in Job Interviews you will want to be using these skills to argue that this job is what you've always been aiming for and you are the most suitable for it you will have to use Point,Evidence and Explanation just as in English and the fact that the interpretation really might not be right(although you could argue that point) is all part of your argument to convince the employer to hire you.

I use these skills all the time when I'm constructing arguments particularly political arguments and also when I'm watching TV programmes and adverts so I can understand the shows better and I also think about what the adverts were trying to do and whether they were good adverts.
Maths as a subject for me was boring at school. I did well at GCSE and A level getting top grades in both but frankly it was just doing tonnes of past papers and it was dull. However, roll onto medicine, I've barely used maths but somethings are essential to saving peoples' lives. Being able to rapidly calculate a dose of a drug, working between various units, clearance of drugs from your body requires integration and logs etc. Sure Cmax= Cmax* e^-kt sounds like a load of rubbish, but for me that one little nugget of info might save someone's life in the future and for that reason, some parts of maths are invaluable!

Quick Reply

Latest