Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Want to go to a real university.

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

Hello, I'm posting here because I need help from you.

Here's a background.

I dropped out of college first thing due to depression. I was a bum for several years, seeing a psychiatrist before I decided to get up and try to do something, I took a big interest in psychology because of this experience.

However it was too late for me to start college, I'm going to be 22 this august.

Anyway, I come from a really poor family, and I've no A levels. I saw that the open university has no requirements, so I did a course there for a year. It was kinda underwhelming, and the non-social aspect of it was soul crushing, I wanted to get out and change and this did not help at all.

What can I do to get into a uni? I've no idea where I can start. I live in London.

Honestly? The open uni is your best bet.

What sort of course at the OU? might be worth ringing some universities and seeing if they'd accept that first.

The Access to HE diploma is designed for people without traditional qualifications (A levels) who want to go to university http://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/Pages/Default.aspx

I agree with JoinedUp, as long as you didn't do the stupid OU access module, there is a good chance that a university will accept your OU course as an alternative qualification to A levels. Failing that, an Access to HE course is your best bet. There is a lot of information regarding Access courses in this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3401311
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.