The Student Room Group

Anxiety issues pgce fail unfair

Scroll to see replies

Original post by traineeteacher_
I reported the problems with bullying very early on but the university didn't do anything about it. They basically told me to just 'get on with it' and I did even though I came home crying almost every night

That is interesting as I was in a very similar situation and my University's responce was very different. At first they just wanted to get me through it ans arranged 'a supportive visit'. Which was actually very helpful.

After I left and I had my doctor's note for Cognitive Behavioural Anxiety I was told that a decison has been made that the University will try not to use that school again. If they feel they must (due to the numbers) they will be very careful as to who they put there next time.
Reply 21
Original post by Sportycb
That is interesting as I was in a very similar situation and my University's responce was very different. At first they just wanted to get me through it ans arranged 'a supportive visit'. Which was actually very helpful.

After I left and I had my doctor's note for Cognitive Behavioural Anxiety I was told that a decison has been made that the University will try not to use that school again. If they feel they must (due to the numbers) they will be very careful as to who they put there next time.

You were in good hand of a university that actually care. my sis wasted a whole year, and got nothing out of it, she passed most things, only thing left was the final observation that she needed to pass.she passed all other aspects of the course. even when she appealed they did not listen and said she should have given doctors note. The doctor would not diagnose her with anxiety and stress she experiencedsdue to the class and the teacher so she couldnt apply for a mitigating circumstance. It's very sad
Reply 22
I'm sorry to hear your sister has had such an awful experience. It sound like her experience is similar to mine. My first placement went well but I ended up with a very unsupportive and critical mentor on my second placement. I found it very difficult at my school but I thought I was passing but then, out of the blue, I was put on 'cause for concern'. I had already been very unwell at that point and I had issues with anxiety, particularly when my mentor observed me. I did eventually see a doctor but it was too late and I didn't get through my placement either. The university weren't supportive and basically said that it was all my fault. I know I've got a lot to learn but my mentor's behaviour bordered on bullying and I shouldn't have had to put up with it.

I think the best thing your sister can do is to contact the university and ask if she can do her placement again elsewhere. Did she pass all of her academic work? If so, she might be able to go for the QTS only route if she is able to find a job as an unqualified teacher.

My university eventually agreed that I can do my placement again. I don't know how things would have gone if I had been placed elsewhere but I think I should have been given a fair chance. The whole experience (the bullying and the treatment by the university) has put me of teaching though and I don't know if I'll complete my course.

No the way they had the meeting wth my sister was humilating and made her loose her confidence. They basically said it was their decision, with the head of the course and even if she appealed they would not allow her to continue. She just needed to repeat a damn placement. She passed all academic work just needed to do the final observation. it seemd so harsh for them to kick her of the ciurse and ruin her chances of a career in teaching.
Reply 23
I'm obviously not familiar with her situation but I had to learn that not all universities have their students best interests at heart. I was very ill because I was bullied on placement and they still tried to make me responsible for the situation. I had medical evidence too but they claimed that I just 'couldn't deal with the stress'. Teaching is a very stressful profession but some schools don't treat their trainees fairly and if you're in that kind of environment, it isn't really possible for you to find out whether or not teaching is right for you.

Yea it's sad because my sis was a brilliant teacher, she only found the assessment stressful because of her bully class teacher and horrible class. She is great at planning lessons and so commited to teaching. She wrote a letter to the class mentor when she was stressed saying she couldnt do that particular placemnt with that class because they are so out of hand it was rediculous for her to be asessed there with no TA support. She asked for another class and they refused. It's just hard to accept it was allover so quikly when she comited so mcuh time and effort into the pgce
Reply 24
I reported the problems with bullying very early on but the university didn't do anything about it. They basically told me to just 'get on with it' and I did even though I came home crying almost every night because of the way I was treated at the school. I was in school five days a week and after the school had reacted very negatively when I asked for some time off for a job interview, I was too scared to take any more time off but I made a doctor's appointment during half term and provided both the school and the uni with evidence.

You aren't familiar with the situation so you have no way of knowing if the university made the right decision. My school didn't even provide the basic training they were supposed to provide and I was treated very disrespectfully by my mentor and another teacher.

I don't know enough about the health situation of the person you mentioned to say whether or not their work was unfair. If they went to the hospital they were most likely hoping to get medical help and evidence so it may not have been as simple as 'ignoring a policy' but I really don't know enough about it to make a judgement.

She explained it to the doctor who would not diagnose her for work stress, i guess my sis should have seen a different doctor because she did need the medical evidence. it's just the teachers were not clear about the cause for concern meeting and that she could fail the course if she did not provide medical evidence by that time.i guess it was my sister fault for not getting the evidence, but all they had to do was put her ina different class so she could proove herself, everyone desrves a second chance.

I know i am taking it personally as this happened to my sis and not me but it definatly took away my enthusiasm for teaching and her self confidence
Reply 25
I'm sure I sound like a crazy person by now, but I'm seriously scares of going into teaching due to my sister's experience and negative things she filled in my head about it. People on here who said they also experienced similar bullying on placements or those who were given a fail unfairly or unexpectedly ending your dream of teaching how did you move on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
It's not very healthy to seek out information about people's bad experiences before you have even started. Your sister's experiences happened quite a long time ago, you both need to move on. Teaching is such a fast paced career that it is important to be able to regard any negative experiences as learning opportunities and then keep going. I had a couple of rubbish weeks over the course of my PGCE and I never would have got through it if I had kept hold of all the related emotions rather than starting afresh in the following weeks. Also, when working in schools, you will come across people who have stopped enjoying the job but you cannot let other people's mindset and experiences influence your own.

I have just completed my training without any bullying or unfair treatment whatsoever and so did about 50 other people on my course. My mentors were kind, the schools welcoming and I had an incredibly supportive tutor at my university too - it was all fine! People use forums like this one to seek help when they cannot find it elsewhere whereas those whose experiences are going smoothly are too busy getting on with the course so you rarely hear from them. Just remember that those who successfully complete the PGCE heavily outweigh those who do not.
Reply 27
Thanks, I've been doing research on teaching again to remind me why I wanted to go into it. Point was I know me doing the pgce will bring stuff up for my sis. She has a good job but doesn't enjoy as much as teaching. So I find t hard to accept I'm gona go into a career that she told me all about. She is really good teacher like I said and I feel gutted if I made it and she didn't. she has moved on but just doesn't enjoy her career and I know she would love to be a teacher still but it feel like such injustice.
Reply 28
Original post by Justfedup
Thanks, I've been doing research on teaching again to remind me why I wanted to go into it. Point was I know me doing the pgce will bring stuff up for my sis. She has a good job but doesn't enjoy as much as teaching. So I find t hard to accept I'm gona go into a career that she told me all about. She is really good teacher like I said and I feel gutted if I made it and she didn't. she has moved on but just doesn't enjoy her career and I know she would love to be a teacher still but it feel like such injustice.

Your posts are yo-yoing from the problem being that you are worried about your sister and her situation to your sister and her situation causing you anxiety. I will reiterate what I said in my last post: you cannot let other people's mindset and experiences influence your own. You have no control over your sister's circumstances and can only ensure that there is a different outcome for yourself by going into this process with a positive mindset and being mentally prepared to take on the challenges ahead. You will not make it if you spend so much time worrying about things that are out of your control. What is stopping your sister from giving it another go elsewhere anyway?
Reply 29
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Pierson
Your posts are yo-yoing from the problem being that you are worried about your sister and her situation to your sister and her situation causing you anxiety. I will reiterate what I said in my last post: you cannot let other people's mindset and experiences influence your own. You have no control over your sister's circumstances and can only ensure that there is a different outcome for yourself by going into this process with a positive mindset and being mentally prepared to take on the challenges ahead. You will not make it if you spend so much time worrying about things that are out of your control. What is stopping your sister from giving it another go elsewhere anyway?

Well because I am worried for her and also because this has impacted me and the whole family.

Her Uni which isn't that great in London just said she can't continue and done final placement. My sis got a bursary for the course which she would not get if she did the course again. And other unis don't really take on a failed pgce student.

For myself I am trying to go back to having a positive mindset because teaching was something i really wanted to do l. But I'm finding it hard to feel positive and excited about it again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
They knocked my sister's confidence even more when the class which was atrocious and not a good practice for a trainee and class mentor who criticised my sis alot. My sis just got stressed Nd raised her concerns to the class mentor explaining it's stressng her about her observation. This was so wrong of then to make that judgement that teaching was not for her. And they made my sis feel like a complete idiot in the cause for concern meeting , she said it made her feel stupid and incapable. It's hard to explain...it knocked her confidence when she was a new graduate who achieved alot getting onto the pgce and complete long nearly all of it. They didn't even try and support her. I feel so angry about the injustice but 3 years in nothing we can do. Yes she has moved on, but she said it was traumatic the way they made her feel about herself when she did so well in the course. It ruined her dreams of teaching, she really wanted the pgce and she never fails anything and dis not deserve to fail. I just wish we could write to someone, the department for education or someone , because this uni is ruining people's careers and wasting hard work and effort of the students

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
It's really hard to say whether anything can be done at this stage. I suppose the biggest thought that's been going through my head is what support the school 'offered' to your sister back then and the time frame it all occurred where she would fail her placement. Given that placements themselves are roughly 9 weeks teaching practice, what time frame did they start placing her on 'cause for concern'?

Considering that the class teacher and headteacher wasn't aware until much later, it sounds like their decision was pretty late into the placement.

To me, it almost sounds as if she wasn't even given the opportunity to withdraw from her course which many PGCE opt to do if they are informed that they will fail the course. This is the same with the NQT year.
Reply 33
They said she couldn't do a placement somewhere else and she should wait read behaviour management techniques and apply them. She had four weeks left of her final placement when they gave her CFC. They said she could apply for mitigation circumstance but my sis tried going docs who would not diagnose her even though she was clearly having sever stress. They never told my sis she could fail the pgce before the cause for concern meeting the didn't properly explain the seriousness and they gave her some criteria that she had to give evidence of having done. That criteria is unheard of by teaching students and unfair extra test for her to do at the CFC meeting.

Yea i still feel bad for her that such a good teachers dream of teaching was ended forever.we didn't know about independent adjudicator at the time and could t tell them. We tried contacting unions and they were useless. It shut injustice. I want to do something about it even now, or does she just have to accept she has no chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are other routes into teaching that do not involve a traditional PGCE. I'd suggest that she takes one of these routes later on.

Equally, I would argue that difficult classes ARE good practice for training teachers. It is these difficult classes that enable you to get better and better. I understand that having an observation with a difficult class is stressful, particularly a final observation (believe me, I have been there!) but it's also important to realise that observers are not always looking for an angelic class and a perfect teacher in these situations; they look at how you deal with problems when they do arise. If your sister had realised this she may have been able to complete this observation with a different outlook.
I had the same situation and after over a year internal appeal proceedings i come out the bright end and got my pgce place back. The biggest issue here is your sister has decided to appeal after two years....... I have not been in this situation before. However i do know that the credits are transferable to any other pgce that will agree to take them and you can discuss the passed observations as well. About appealing to the university perhaps contact the student union or the student rights advice centre firstly - explain that she has been extremely unwell distraught after the fail with therapy and medical anxiety condition and depression. She needs to evidence this is a letter from a private doctor even. She must also evidence that she had anxiety medically or raised the issues with her PGCE tutor and see what actions the PGCE tutor took and if they are inline with the university policies. Good Luck. PGCE placements and the system isn't always the most affective in supporting trainees at all and the placements can be very manipulative and dishonest. I personally don't understand how a lesson observation from the principal would help your sisters stress??? Unless it was so that the principal could make recommendations for help or support.
Original post by Justfedup
They said she couldn't do a placement somewhere else and she should wait read behaviour management techniques and apply them. She had four weeks left of her final placement when they gave her CFC. They said she could apply for mitigation circumstance but my sis tried going docs who would not diagnose her even though she was clearly having sever stress. They never told my sis she could fail the pgce before the cause for concern meeting the didn't properly explain the seriousness and they gave her some criteria that she had to give evidence of having done. That criteria is unheard of by teaching students and unfair extra test for her to do at the CFC meeting.

Yea i still feel bad for her that such a good teachers dream of teaching was ended forever.we didn't know about independent adjudicator at the time and could t tell them. We tried contacting unions and they were useless. It shut injustice. I want to do something about it even now, or does she just have to accept she has no chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

All the actions that the university presented should be used as evidence as to showing that she should have been given a further opportunity. Tests that are not stated in the programme handbook and guide do not should not apply, the university also should have suggested counselling sessions with student support services. The real failure here is your doctor. She needs to go in crying and suicidal and explain the griefs the problems to another doctor. Take your or a guardian with her and make them listen up and help. Blame them. Make them provide a helpful letter now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending