The Student Room Group

Anxiety issues pgce fail unfair

So I have posted his before. My sister was failed from the pgce after she had become very stressed on one of her placements. It was her first class she was teaching herself and very poor behaved. The constant negative feedback from her class teacher got too much and the day before her observation she emailed her class teacher to raise her concerns about how she was feeling stressed . The teacher raised this to the head teacher. The head teacher then observed the lesson which increased my sisters worries and lead to a poor performance. She was on her final placement and recieved a fail. The uni said she had no medical evidence of anxiety and they denied that she wasn't given enough support. There were no TAs in the class who were very badly behaved. It's been 2.5yrs now but can my sis still do something about this legally? She worked really hard and passed all her placements uptill his point and seems unfair and harsh that she wasn't allowed to complete.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I am no expert but after a few years I would almost certainly have thought the time for appealing the decision was past and should have been done nearer the time.

Regarding any way forward for your sister to finish her qualification, I do not know. I would suggest you possibly check out the TES forums as there are many knowledgeable people on there.
Reply 2
Alot people on tes say pgce is impossible to get into after you fail. And most people say my sis must have been in the wrong but I just can't understand the university's perspective and the reason they were right to do that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can see where the university is coming from. Teaching/PGCE is very high stress and that is why so much emphasis is placed on making sure that the people doing them are resilient and have good coping mechanisms. Having anxiety is a medical condition and should be getting diagnosed/treated by a doctor.

Ultimately they need to decide if a student is struggling with the day to day stress of being a teacher or is suffering from anxiety, a medical condition. In the absence of any form of medical evidence of anxiety, I can see why they would decide on the former.

I imagine the view most of them take is that if your sister is unable to cope with the stress of being a teacher, they may have done her a favour by now allowing her to become one, for her own health and sanity. There are plenty of teachers who passed with flying colours who are suffering from work related stress and other such issues.

Also, you've made several threads on here over the past couple of days in relation to your teaching and your sister's. I think you really need to separate the two events as her history with teaching has nothing to do with any future you may have in teaching and ultimately might set you up to fail.
Reply 4
No she really wasn't stressed at the work of being a teacher it was that one particular class that was horrendous like she said they behaved like animals and it wasn't fair to be assessed with them and she recieved no Ta support at all.

The thing is that I advised her to talk to her teacher about being stressed because when I had a time at university when I was struggling I had to tell my tutor which was difficult but they supported me when I went to Doctor and got evidence of anxiety even though it was not a life long thing.

But yea it's hard for me to separate my sis and mine experience because I gave her the advice so kinda thought that was really wrong judgement on my part which made her fail... so I guess I will need to get over it somehow to be able to go into teaching with a clear conscious. It probably doesn't make sense but it's because we are really close.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Justfedup
So I have posted his before. My sister was failed from the pgce after she had become very stressed on one of her placements. It was her first class she was teaching herself and very poor behaved. The constant negative feedback from her class teacher got too much and the day before her observation she emailed her class teacher to raise her concerns about how she was feeling stressed . The teacher raised this to the head teacher. The head teacher then observed the lesson which increased my sisters worries and lead to a poor performance. She was on her final placement and recieved a fail. The uni said she had no medical evidence of anxiety and they denied that she wasn't given enough support. There were no TAs in the class who were very badly behaved. It's been 2.5yrs now but can my sis still do something about this legally? She worked really hard and passed all her placements uptill his point and seems unfair and harsh that she wasn't allowed to complete.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't been through the appeal system but I was offered the option. If I remember rightly it has to be made within a couple of months, so being a few years later I am pretty certain that there is 0 chance of being able to appeal. She should have done it within a few months to stand a chance. I think I was given the deadline of 2 months to appeal.

I also agree 100% with Eliverycury. If she is struggling now with stress and anxiety she is going to find it more difficult in the future. Like Eliverycury said there are so many people who sailed through the PGCE and are struggling now after several years of experience. Just look at the Mental Health section of the TES Forums. It sums it up entirely that they need a forum for this. PGCE is considered a lot easier.

Similarly, like Elivercury sad she is lucky that she has got away with no anxiety and scars shall we say. I am not saying this as someone who is looking in from outside, I am saying this as someone who has been there before. I had a similar experience and finished my placement with a doctor's note. I was diagnosed with Cognitive Behavioural Anxiety. For several months I couldn't even walk into a school or classroom without bursting into tears. I wasn't upset and I am known among my friends for not crying at anything but it was an automatic physical reaction. It is better but now even now (5 years on) the odd smell, or name, etc, that reminds me of that teaching practise brings tears to my eyes.
Therefore I feel that your sister has had a lucky escape. I also believe if she goes back to that sort of enviornment she will be at risk of getting herself too into the same situation I found myself in. It is just not worth the risk.
[Of course this is a condenced version of the story and I am happy to DM you more info about my own story if you wish]

What I would say to your sister is that even she doesn't go into this form of teaching there are loads of other ways to teach. I only found this when I was researching after I dropped QTS. I still teach full time but in a different way and it is the best thing I have ever done.

As for you, I wouldn't be put off by all of this. Sometimes teaching is the luck of the draw and for every trainee who has a placement like mine or your sister's, there will be another 20 or so who have loved their experience completely. So decide for yourself whether it is for you personally.

Please feel free to DM me if you want any advice or have any questions.
No she really wasn't stressed at the work of being a teacher it was that one particular class that was horrendous like she said they behaved like animals and it wasn't fair to be assessed with them and she recieved no Ta support at all.

The thing is that I advised her to talk to her teacher about being stressed because when I had a time at university when I was struggling I had to tell my tutor which was difficult but they supported me when I went to Doctor and got evidence of anxiety even though it was not a life long thing.

But yea it's hard for me to separate my sis and mine experience because I gave her the advice so kinda thought that was really wrong judgement on my part which made her fail... so I guess I will need to get over it somehow to be able to go into teaching with a clear conscious. It probably doesn't make sense but it's because we are really close.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I mean you advised her to seek help and it sounds like she didn't really. As you say, you got a doctors note and provided physical evidence that you were struggling. Going up and saying you're a bit stressed (to someone probably also stressed) isn't quite the same thing.

Also, are you under the impression that not seeking help would have resulted in her passing?

Your advice was not central to her failing or not. Whether you will go down the same route as her is impossible for us to know and for you to decide. But to be honest if you are serious about going into teaching I would seriously consider doing it for 2017 entry. You sound very unsure and emotional and I seriously doubt you can deal with all that in the couple of months before you would start teaching.
Reply 7
She was quite emotionally scarred and lost alot of confidence in herself as a result but with alot of support from family managed to get into a good job but is not rewarding as teaching.

How did you get into teaching apart from the pgce?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You work as an unqualified teacher or in a private school. You need to be very thick skinned as you have said. Unfortunately some people are not cut out for it.
Reply 9
Yes I think she would have passed if I didn't give her that advice.

She quite resilient person and if she approached it in a different way it may have helped.

They said she didn't provide medical evidence but she went to a doctor but they said work stress is not something he can diagnose and give a letter for.

I feel horrible still to this day about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Elivercury
I can see where the university is coming from. Teaching/PGCE is very high stress and that is why so much emphasis is placed on making sure that the people doing them are resilient and have good coping mechanisms. Having anxiety is a medical condition and should be getting diagnosed/treated by a doctor.

Ultimately they need to decide if a student is struggling with the day to day stress of being a teacher or is suffering from anxiety, a medical condition. In the absence of any form of medical evidence of anxiety, I can see why they would decide on the former.

I imagine the view most of them take is that if your sister is unable to cope with the stress of being a teacher, they may have done her a favour by now allowing her to become one, for her own health and sanity. There are plenty of teachers who passed with flying colours who are suffering from work related stress and other such issues.

Also, you've made several threads on here over the past couple of days in relation to your teaching and your sister's. I think you really need to separate the two events as her history with teaching has nothing to do with any future you may have in teaching and ultimately might set you up to fail.

Hi yea but honestly like I have said my sis doesn't suffer from anxiety it was just the test she was worried about.

I really don't know how to stop blaming myself for this.

It's made me not go into teaching when that's one of the only career options I had.

Posted from TSR Mobile
To be perfectly honest, it sounds to me that you are looking at teaching as more of an "any port in a storm" option, rather than something you'd genuinely enjoy and thrive at. You won't survive in teaching with that sort of attitude.

How you get over your issues around your sister's past, I don't know. It sounds to me like you probably need professional help as it's something that you had next to no involvement with, yet seem to feel wholly responsible for.

I don't say this to be mean, but it sounds to me like you could use some sort of medical support, although I have no idea what form of help. Have you considered speaking to your GP?
Hi yea but honestly like I have said my sis doesn't suffer from anxiety it was just the test she was worried about.

I really don't know how to stop blaming myself for this.

It's made me not go into teaching when that's one of the only career options I had.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with what Elivercury said about you will find a PGCE too difficult I think in places. If you are blaming yourself about this and it is clearly not your fault I think this may severely effect your teaching in a Secondary School. You are clearly an individual who has great concern for others and worries about things you may do and may have done. That is a good quality, but for teaching that will kill you. 100 similar situations where what you say or do will effect a student positively or negatively will happen every week. If you hang on to every little thing like this you will just end up very depressed and anxious. This is one of those professions you just have to say confidently, "it is done" and move on. Then not think about it again.
Reply 13
Original post by Sportycb
I agree with what Elivercury said about you will find a PGCE too difficult I think in places. If you are blaming yourself about this and it is clearly not your fault I think this may severely effect your teaching in a Secondary School. You are clearly an individual who has great concern for others and worries about things you may do and may have done. That is a good quality, but for teaching that will kill you. 100 similar situations where what you say or do will effect a student positively or negatively will happen every week. If you hang on to every little thing like this you will just end up very depressed and anxious. This is one of those professions you just have to say confidently, "it is done" and move on. Then not think about it again.

This is the ONLY situation I have reacted to in this way not sure why. It's just this was not a little situation but it was her life career and what she had worked hard towards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
I know I'm highly capable but this is still very hard t for me to come to terms with and I have no idea why

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry to hear your sister has had such an awful experience. It sound like her experience is similar to mine. My first placement went well but I ended up with a very unsupportive and critical mentor on my second placement. I found it very difficult at my school but I thought I was passing but then, out of the blue, I was put on 'cause for concern'. I had already been very unwell at that point and I had issues with anxiety, particularly when my mentor observed me. I did eventually see a doctor but it was too late and I didn't get through my placement either. The university weren't supportive and basically said that it was all my fault. I know I've got a lot to learn but my mentor's behaviour bordered on bullying and I shouldn't have had to put up with it.

I think the best thing your sister can do is to contact the university and ask if she can do her placement again elsewhere. Did she pass all of her academic work? If so, she might be able to go for the QTS only route if she is able to find a job as an unqualified teacher.

My university eventually agreed that I can do my placement again. I don't know how things would have gone if I had been placed elsewhere but I think I should have been given a fair chance. The whole experience (the bullying and the treatment by the university) has put me of teaching though and I don't know if I'll complete my course.

I'm obviously not familiar with her situation but I had to learn that not all universities have their students best interests at heart. I was very ill because I was bullied on placement and they still tried to make me responsible for the situation. I had medical evidence too but they claimed that I just 'couldn't deal with the stress'. Teaching is a very stressful profession but some schools don't treat their trainees fairly and if you're in that kind of environment, it isn't really possible for you to find out whether or not teaching is right for you.
Original post by traineeteacher_
I'm obviously not familiar with her situation but I had to learn that not all universities have their students best interests at heart. I was very ill because I was bullied on placement and they still tried to make me responsible for the situation. I had medical evidence too but they claimed that I just 'couldn't deal with the stress'. Teaching is a very stressful profession but some schools don't treat their trainees fairly and if you're in that kind of environment, it isn't really possible for you to find out whether or not teaching is right for you.

I suspect the universities have the interests of future students that you may teach, at heart. I don't wish to be unsympathetic but it sounds from your last post that you didn't seek medical evidence or report matters to your university at a very late stage when you were failing. In this situation they do not necessarily know if it is the chicken or the egg - did you get ill because you were doing poorly or did you do poorly because you were ill. So they will look at which came first and make a judgement in order to determine whether you are capable of becoming a qualified teacher.

Likewise there can also be a range of interpretation over what bullying and unsupportive looks like from a mentor. Ultimately I have no idea what happened in your case, any more than the OP's sister's, but the university has to make difficult decisions and will do so based on the evidence at hand.

To provide an anecdotal scenario (non-teaching) which I am familiar and know the details of - someone I know experienced multiple bouts of illness. They took several days off and went to the hospital - who concluded they were fine - and then went back into work. Their work's policy was that they should provide a medical note if they are off over X time. As they did not provide a medical note and were on their probation, they were dismissed. They then proceeded to go to the hospital and get a note in retrospect and try to submit it to get the dismissal overturned, it was not.

Do you feel the work was unfair in this instance? I personally do not, they ignored the policy and providing a note written after the fact is poor evidence.
I suspect the universities have the interests of future students that you may teach, at heart. I don't wish to be unsympathetic but it sounds from your last post that you didn't seek medical evidence or report matters to your university at a very late stage when you were failing. In this situation they do not necessarily know if it is the chicken or the egg - did you get ill because you were doing poorly or did you do poorly because you were ill. So they will look at which came first and make a judgement in order to determine whether you are capable of becoming a qualified teacher.

Likewise there can also be a range of interpretation over what bullying and unsupportive looks like from a mentor. Ultimately I have no idea what happened in your case, any more than the OP's sister's, but the university has to make difficult decisions and will do so based on the evidence at hand.

To provide an anecdotal scenario (non-teaching) which I am familiar and know the details of - someone I know experienced multiple bouts of illness. They took several days off and went to the hospital - who concluded they were fine - and then went back into work. Their work's policy was that they should provide a medical note if they are off over X time. As they did not provide a medical note and were on their probation, they were dismissed. They then proceeded to go to the hospital and get a note in retrospect and try to submit it to get the dismissal overturned, it was not.

Do you feel the work was unfair in this instance? I personally do not, they ignored the policy and providing a note written after the fact is poor evidence.

I reported the problems with bullying very early on but the university didn't do anything about it. They basically told me to just 'get on with it' and I did even though I came home crying almost every night because of the way I was treated at the school. I was in school five days a week and after the school had reacted very negatively when I asked for some time off for a job interview, I was too scared to take any more time off but I made a doctor's appointment during half term and provided both the school and the uni with evidence.

You aren't familiar with the situation so you have no way of knowing if the university made the right decision. My school didn't even provide the basic training they were supposed to provide and I was treated very disrespectfully by my mentor and another teacher.

I don't know enough about the health situation of the person you mentioned to say whether or not their work was unfair. If they went to the hospital they were most likely hoping to get medical help and evidence so it may not have been as simple as 'ignoring a policy' but I really don't know enough about it to make a judgement.
Original post by traineeteacher_
I reported the problems with bullying very early on but the university didn't do anything about it. They basically told me to just 'get on with it' and I did even though I came home crying almost every night because of the way I was treated at the school. I was in school five days a week and after the school had reacted very negatively when I asked for some time off for a job interview, I was too scared to take any more time off but I made a doctor's appointment during half term and provided both the school and the uni with evidence.

You aren't familiar with the situation so you have no way of knowing if the university made the right decision. My school didn't even provide the basic training they were supposed to provide and I was treated very disrespectfully by my mentor and another teacher.

I don't know enough about the health situation of the person you mentioned to say whether or not their work was unfair. If they went to the hospital they were most likely hoping to get medical help and evidence so it may not have been as simple as 'ignoring a policy' but I really don't know enough about it to make a judgement.

I don't know the situation, you are correct and I stated as much. As I said previously, I can't know if the university was acting unfairly or whether what you determined to be bullying was just standard practice. Likewise we cannot know this with the OP's sister's case.

Incidentally the health of the person in my anecdotal story is irrelevant. If you are going to take X amount of time off sick, you provide a note, that is the policy as is common for most companies. What diagnosis they wrote down is a separate issue.

Ultimately the OP has to keep their own career separate from their sister's and let their sister lead their own life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending