Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does my mum need to be told she has alcohol problems?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    My dad had trouble with alcohol too and it's not until he was sent to hospital with angina when he decided to stop drinking altogether. He also had a stroke a few months back but has recovered.

    My mum drinks far too much and eats far too little. I understand she's under a lot of stress at work, but it's no excuse to be careless about her health.

    Should I talk to her? Or is it up to her to realise?

    You've missed the point - alcoholics don't accept its a problem so you can't 'tell' them, they have to realise its a problem themselves before they will do anything. And I wouldn't recommend that you talk to her - it'll look like 'child being cheeky' even if your intentions are good. The better route might be your Dad - he's faced the consequences and given up - talk to him about helping her to cut down. PS. Support for you here : http://www.al-anon.org/

    I think maybe you should sit her down(when shes sober) and air out your concerns in a quiet relaxed tone and not in a blaming tone.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.