The Student Room Group

AQA MM03 8th June 2016 Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jjsnyder
No I can throw this away, but if I mess up on any others then I won't get an A* :frown: Will have to do some work for FP2, wasn't going to revise for FM as I have step which is way harder, but looks like I should do a few papers now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really like FP2 and I can actually do that. Hopefully I should be set for the A* as I can throw this M3 away as well.
Original post by Euclidean
Disgusting with and without vectors

Posted from TSR Mobile

And that wasn't even the end of it! There was another long one after that but can't remember the details. It was closest approach. The first four or five questions were alright, maybe slightly more difficult than usual in places, and I'd say the last two three questions were all of a similar difficulty and length to that relative motion question. Q6 comprised two 7 mark questions on oblique collisions. Reminded me of a STEP II question I did the other week...
Original post by A Slice of Pi
And that wasn't even the end of it! There was another long one after that but can't remember the details. It was closest approach. The first four or five questions were alright, maybe slightly more difficult than usual in places, and I'd say the last two three questions were all of a similar difficulty and length to that relative motion question. Q6 comprised two 7 mark questions on oblique collisions. Reminded me of a STEP II question I did the other week...

I've actually printed off the AQA M3 RM past questions for M4 prep cause they seem a bit more advanced :tongue:

AQA is quite a bit tougher than Edexcel I think
Original post by student0042
I really like FP2 and I can actually do that. Hopefully I should be set for the A* as I can throw this M3 away as well.

Yeah I should be able to get the A* in FP2 but I'll do some preparation for it just in case, really wouldn't like to miss my offer by dropping the A* in FM

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 144
Original post by amarkham09
All the Oxbridge people I spoke to found it really hard

But have they finished the paper? I mean when these very good students do hard paper, they would say it is hard, but they also get high grades.
Original post by cirby
But have they finished the paper? I mean when these very good students do hard paper, they would say it is hard, but they also get high grades.

I had to leave 6(b) mid-way through because I looked at the clock and I had 10 minutes to do the whole of that Q7. I've never left anything out before so this was a first for me, and that doesn't include silly mistakes.
I've actually printed off the AQA M3 RM past questions for M4 prep cause they seem a bit more advanced :tongue:

AQA is quite a bit tougher than Edexcel I think

They tend to give us diagrams too in the past for RM questions, but this year we just had a big paragraph of writing about quad bikes, cars and trucks. I thought the wording was a bit confusing without a diagram, especially when I was rushing to finish the paper.
They tend to give us diagrams too in the past for RM questions, but this year we just had a big paragraph of writing about quad bikes, cars and trucks. I thought the wording was a bit confusing without a diagram, especially when I was rushing to finish the paper.

Btw what degree are you doing and where if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Btw what degree are you doing and where if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths (MMath 4 year). I'm interested more in the pure modules I think and they tend to be my strongest area so I'll probably take a lot of the optional pure units in the later years. I'm assuming you're doing maths too?
Original post by cirby

No. Only one person I spoke to finished. Most people I spoke to (who are predicted 4A*s) missed at least 10 marks
Maths (MMath 4 year). I'm interested more in the pure modules I think and they tend to be my strongest area so I'll probably take a lot of the optional pure units in the later years. I'm assuming you're doing maths too?

Nice! Wherewill you be going?
Yes I am doing Maths too(hopefully Part III if do ok in uni and get in lol).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think a pre-constructed diagram would have been too much of an aid for this question. The diagrammatic approach is very simple once a diagram's constructed and this seems like it was intended to be the 'boss' at the end of the paper :tongue:
I think a pre-constructed diagram would have been too much of an aid for this question. The diagrammatic approach is very simple once a diagram's constructed and this seems like it was intended to be the 'boss' at the end of the paper :tongue:

I do think it could've been worded a little better though. In the last part it read something like "when the truck and quad bike are 400 m apart... find the angle on which the quad bike can achieve closest approach with the truck " I got the answer as 024 degrees without even using the 400 m information, so I don't know why it was there.
I do think it could've been worded a little better though. In the last part it read something like "when the truck and quad bike are 400 m apart... find the angle on which the quad bike can achieve closest approach with the truck " I got the answer as 024 degrees without even using the 400 m information, so I don't know why it was there.

May depend on people having different methods to solve it, wish I'd attempted the last part but I didn't bother for some reason

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jjsnyder
May depend on people having different methods to solve it, wish I'd attempted the last part but I didn't bother for some reason

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you leave any other questions out?

I may be assuming too much here about the question given I haven't seen it but surely the initial relative position of the two objects is crucial in considering the course needed for closest approach?
I may be assuming too much here about the question given I haven't seen it but surely the initial relative position of the two objects is crucial in considering the course needed for closest approach?

I suppose if you use a vector method. I used the fact that the velocity of the quad bike relative to the truck was perpendicular to the actual velocity of the quad bike and you had enough angles from earlier on to work it out.
Original post by C0balt
What course?
Yeah I'll have to rely on their mercy lol

Physical Natural Sciences, Jesus College - what about you?
What do you reckon the grade boundaries will be?

Heaven knows - I'd guess they're likely to be much lower than usual seeing how difficult we all found it, but there could be a large proportion of people that sailed through without many issues... :/
Original post by Swindelz
Heaven knows - I'd guess they're likely to be much lower than usual seeing how difficult we all found it, but there could be a large proportion of people that sailed through without many issues... :/

It must be difficult if there's no unofficial mark scheme. Usually its not long before someone on here uploads answers.

Quick Reply