The Student Room Group

So upset I wasted 2 years of my life

I'm a graduate. I am in a job I hate for 2 years and I dont know what to do. I avoided doing what i wanted to because I always worried that I wouldn't get paid enough or how stressful training is for those professions.

I'm so upset that I'm 23 and now just a psychology grad and not qualified as anything specific... I have no idea what to do.. I need to get my self together and make a decision asap because my job is meaningless and killing my soul.

I somehow lost motivation when I finished uni and didn't think I could do anything like pgce or something cos I just couldn't handle the stress at the time. However it's much more stressful being in a job I hate.

I need my motivation back. I worked so hard to study my whole life to go into a career in don't want but I'm confused what to do now.

I feel like I haven't achieved anything and just gave up.

Also you can Pm me if you have any advice.

There were alot of typos in original due to stupid autocorrect*

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
please elaborate. what degree? what job?
and it seemed as though you posted this while drunk :colone:
Reply 2
Psychology and I'm a civil servant. I want to go into teaching or something scientific. ...Idk but I just lost belief in myself to do them. I would have to take a paycut cut as well to start all over

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Justfedup
Psychology and I'm a civil servant. I want to go into teaching or something scientific. ...Idk but I just lost belief in myself to do them. I would have to take a paycut cut as well to start all over

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are your options at the moment? Would you still go for teaching? If you're really unsure at the moment, volunteer somewhere and try something you've never done before
I'm a graduate. I am in a job I hate for 2 years and I dont know what to do. I avoided doing what i wanted to because I always worried that I wouldn't get paid enough or how stressful training is for those professions.

I'm so upset that I'm 23 and now just a psychology grad and not qualified as anything specific... I have no idea what to do.. I need to get my self together and make a decision asap because my job is meaningless and killing my soul.

I somehow lost motivation when I finished uni and didn't think I could do anything like pgce or something cos I just couldn't handle the stress at the time. However it's much more stressful being in a job I hate.

I need my motivation back. I worked so hard to study my whole life to go into a career in don't want but I'm confused what to do now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. Work out what you want. That requires soul searching and some research into identifying what you wnat in life and what you might enjoy doing.

2. Work out how to get from where you are now to where your target is.
That requires more research.

3. Put plan into action.

Your job at the moment provides money. If you save then you cna use that to achieve the above.
Reply 5
I lost motivation for teaching aswell idk what will help me get my act together and do something. I feel like I now wouldn't have the Discipline to do teaching...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

My advice to you: look on the bright side!

So you've got a job you hate? A better way to look at it is that you got a job immediately after graduating (Not easy for a Psychology grad) and have 2 years experience in the field.

I recommend you just look for another job, if you managed to get a job like that after graduation then you can definitely move on to bigger and better things now.

Another alternative: make you own job? Starting a business is hard but you seem ambitious enough to pull it off! You just need a good business idea and a very solid, long-term plan.

Final suggestion: further study? This would be good for your social life if you go for a Master's programme or even some sort of trade skill at a college. remember, your masters degree doesn't have to be the same as your Bachelor's, for example you did Psychology there may be universities that would welcome you for a masters in Neurology or maybe even Pharmacy, the world is your oyster.

But at the end of the day, don't get down on yourself because you've accomplished more in your life than 99% of the 23-year-olds I know, and trust me I know a lot of 23-year-olds...
Reply 7
Thanks that's actually really helpful advice. I just got to figure out what I want to do...

Also masters is what I am looking into I just don't clarity of my career options afterwards. I really wana make use of my studies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
as far as pay goes unless you have a mortgage or something that you HAVE to pay and wouldn't be able to then I would say go for whatever you want to do

23 is not old and you have plenty of time to make decisions, if they don't work out you just go back to the civil service, it's not the end of the world to waste a couple of years if it makes you confident you're in the right career

could you try and cut down to 3-4 days at your current job and volunteer in a relevant sector (e.g. as a TA if you wanna do a PGCE) to work out if it's something you want

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending