The Student Room Group

Media realises at last that Remain means the end of UK Self Government

A few independent sites have been warning that the end of UK self government is a near certainty after a Remain vote because the Eurozone or some other bloc in the EU will form a political union in the near future, marginalising the UK (see for instance http://www.discovertheeu.co.uk/ ) but the mainstream media have been simply ignoring it. At last the warning is getting out there:

"a top financier at one of the world's leading banks said voting to Remain in the EU will "hasten a remodelling of the EU structure" which could see Britain forced to accept the Euro or leave the Brussels club."

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/677666/EU-referendum-Brexit-Labour-Leave-UBS-Cameron-economy-vote-Remain-Brussels-force-UK-Euro?_ga=1.133652365.261088623.1455585188

This is not scaremongering but an obvious consequence of a two speed EU. The fast track will, fairly rapidly, become a political union making the EU into one megastate and a couple of outsiders such as the UK.

When will the Guardian or BBC tell the obvious truth?

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mathemagicien
...(especially those annoying Southern ones) ...

:biggrin:
Original post by Mathemagicien
Nothing wrong with ending self-governance (just like we moved from separate counties into a United kingdom), so long as our goals are aligned

Problem is that many European countries (especially those annoying Southern ones) have different goals

When the far right control the EU and the EU State appointed judges investigate, prosecute and judge you, you will probably regret that "Remain" vote.
I mean is it not more accurate to say that playing on people's inherent racism and xenophobia is easier than dealing with the complex discussion surrounding whether a United Nations of Europe will happen or not and where the hypothetical situation leaves the UK?

I don't think it is pro remain press ignoring it, I think it is just being lost amongst the general noise of the leave campaign going for the easy fruit.
Original post by Elivercury
I don't think it is pro remain press ignoring it, I think it is just being lost amongst the general noise of the leave campaign going for the easy fruit.

The inevitability of political union amongst the Eurozone countries, or at least some of them, was the motivation for the Tories accepting this referendum:

As Nigel Lawson put it:
"The heart of the matter is that the very nature of the European Union, and of this country's relationship with it, has fundamentally changed after the coming into being of the European monetary union and the creation of the eurozone, of which - quite rightly - we are not a part.

Not only do our interests increasingly differ from those of the eurozone members but, while never 'at the heart of Europe' (as our political leaders have from time to time foolishly claimed), we are now becoming increasingly marginalised as we are doomed to being consistently outvoted by the eurozone bloc."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22429790
Original post by newpersonage
The inevitability of political union amongst the Eurozone countries, or at least some of them, was the motivation for the Tories accepting this referendum:

As Nigel Lawson put it:
"The heart of the matter is that the very nature of the European Union, and of this country's relationship with it, has fundamentally changed after the coming into being of the European monetary union and the creation of the eurozone, of which - quite rightly - we are not a part.

Not only do our interests increasingly differ from those of the eurozone members but, while never 'at the heart of Europe' (as our political leaders have from time to time foolishly claimed), we are now becoming increasingly marginalised as we are doomed to being consistently outvoted by the eurozone bloc."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22429790

Yup, ultimately the eurozone either needs to become a united nations or europe or collapse. Those are the only two options.

However I would argue we're the ones marginalising ourselves from europe, rather than it being forced upon us. I mean look at our UKIP MEPs which just turn up to shout at people and be obnoxious while refusing to vote on anything.

I fully agree with you that it's a shame the debate around the issue has been so low quality, as this issue is at the heart of the referendum, but is largely ignored by both sides - presumably because it is such a complex topic.

Incidentally though, while I agree about it being at the heart of the debate and an overlooked issue, I don't necessarily disagree with a united states of europe, depending on what it would look like. It's such an unexplored area of the debate though that I can't say I've a firm conviction either way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending