The Student Room Group

Disabled girl handcuffed by Sussex Police,

Scroll to see replies

Original post by e hine e
And you don't think a spithood could be traumatising for a child, especially when apparently she didn't have an appropriate adult with her while she was being held? And of course acting out isn't proof of ADHD or autism, but neither does it automatically point to a child being a criminal and being deserving of being treated and restrained that way an adult criminal would be treated. With modern knowledge of disabilities, my point was that the police shouldn't these days be automatically assuming the worst, especially where children are involved. This isn't the first time someone with a mental disability or neurological disorder has been unfairly treated by the police, and put into situations that could make them even worse with their symptoms and condition.

Also don't call me mate.

I have done some reading and it appears we are in agreement. No idea why they held a child for 60 hours without an adult informed. Hope that now makes us mates, mate
Original post by Elivercury
Firstly, she was committing criminal offenses, lets not forget this. She was not arrested for being disabled.

How restrained you are once you are arrested depends on how you behave. Behaving violent and spitting is unacceptable and disgusting regardless of your age.

Likewise, we frankly have no idea how far on the autistic spectrum they are. To be frank, if they have made it to 11 without a diagnosis I am inclined to believe they must at least be relatively high functioning, as it becomes apparent from a very early age if they have severe autism.

Being high functioning doesn't mean that someone still can't have a meltdown or be distressed. I'm not sure any 11 year old should be treated 'like a criminal' without proper investigation and support. It seems to me that this episode could have been made much more bearable for both the police and the girl if only they had drafted in some adult help for her. Police services are vastly under-prepared when it comes to dealing with children and those who are disabled or mentally ill. In all other areas of life we expect people to be treated appropriate to their situation and abilities.
Original post by e hine e
Being high functioning doesn't mean that someone still can't have a meltdown or be distressed. I'm not sure any 11 year old should be treated 'like a criminal' without proper investigation and support. It seems to me that this episode could have been made much more bearable for both the police and the girl if only they had drafted in some adult help for her. Police services are vastly under-prepared when it comes to dealing with children and those who are disabled or mentally ill. In all other areas of life we expect people to be treated appropriate to their situation and abilities.

As you say, I personally feel the "disabled" title is a red herring to make the story more appealing. How reasonable their treatment was is impossible to assess without further details.

They definitely made errors in not getting adults involved, I won't argue with that.

Incidentally, it sounds like the 60 hours quoted was over two separate incidents from how I read the article. Still very poor, but not quite the same thing.
Original post by lascelles101
The girl was restrained with handcuffs, leg restraints and a mesh anti-spit hood . this girl has a nurological condition which means she can behave in a challenging manner. however should she be treated like that?? especially with the use of a spit-hood

Link please to read the story in detail
Original post by ODES_PDES
Link please to read the story in detail

look in the comments, its on the 1st page
I think the biggest issue is the 60 hours she was held for. That's 2 AND A HALF DAYS! That's a long time to be held with no responsible adult or mental health nurse.
I'm local - from my understanding it's excessive. Aside from the spit hood controversy, I think another real issue is the girl was held overnight twice in police custody without a parent/guardian.
I'm glad to see that the police and IPCC have taken this seriously and responded appropriately, unlike many of the keyboard experts in this thread.
Original post by lascelles101
The girl was restrained with handcuffs, leg restraints and a mesh anti-spit hood . this girl has a nurological condition which means she can behave in a challenging manner. however should she be treated like that?? especially with the use of a spit-hood

of course... the police were treating this troublemaker like anyone else.
Original post by Ed Phelan
I'm local - from my understanding it's excessive. Aside from the spit hood controversy, I think another real issue is the girl was held overnight twice in police custody without a parent/guardian.

This needs to be stated more clearly I think. We conceptualise 60 hours as being not that long really, otherwise why would you measure it in hours? When you put it as 'two and a half days' or 'overnight twice' like you just said, then it clicks better into people's heads.
Original post by the bear
of course... the police were treating this troublemaker like anyone else.

Do most troublemakers get held for 2 and a half days without their parent/guardian or access to what is probably essential health care?
Original post by minimarshmallow
Do most troublemakers get held for 2 and a half days without their parent/guardian or access to what is probably essential health care?

i am not a troublemaker so would not know.
Reply 32
Original post by Zargabaath
Lmao, you derail topics to make it about muslims and then post agreement with threads complaining about the discussion of muslims :rofl:

Mate that was nothing to do with muslims smh. But true it was an irrelevant comment
(edited 7 years ago)
i am not a troublemaker so would not know.

How do you know she was treated like everyone else then?
Absolutely correct, minimarshmellow.

Can you imagine a sibling, niece or nephew being held in a cell twice overnight when they're clearly already vulnerable. The spit hood seems unnecessarily degrading. She's eleven, hardly a hardened, dangerous criminal.
Original post by minimarshmallow
How do you know she was treated like everyone else then?

the police are trained and follow guidelines. Sussex is not like Zimbabwe.
It does not matter if she has ADHD and Autism if she decides to behave like that in public places she will be treated the same as everyone else. If she is spitting in the police officers faces a spit hood is justified as it was them just doing their job. If you have a disability it does not mean you should get special treatment.

Link to article:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/08/police-used-spit-hood-hand-cuffs-and-a-leg-brace-on-disabled-gir/
(edited 7 years ago)
the police are trained and follow guidelines. Sussex is not like Zimbabwe.

So the guideline therefore must be to hold troublemakers for two and a half days without a parent/guardian or possibly essential medical care, given that that's what happened in this case.

Does that not seem excessive to anyone else before we even move on to the disability issue.
Original post by Ed Phelan
Absolutely correct, minimarshmellow.

Can you imagine a sibling, niece or nephew being held in a cell twice overnight when they're clearly already vulnerable. The spit hood seems unnecessarily degrading. She's eleven, hardly a hardened, dangerous criminal.

the age of criminal responsibility in this country is 10.
Original post by Tinka99
It does not matter if she has ADHD and Autism if she decides to behave like that in public places she will be treated the same as everyone else. If she is spitting in the police officers faces a spit hood is justified as it was them just doing their job. If you have a disability it does not mean you should get special treatment.

Link to article:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/08/police-used-spit-hood-hand-cuffs-and-a-leg-brace-on-disabled-gir/

The Equality Act (2010) specifies reasonable adjustments.

Quick Reply