The Student Room Group

Are my A level choices varied enough to give me the potential to go to a Russel UNI?

After extensive searching on multiple blogs each appearing to contradict each other, I have resorted to using an online forum to find an answer!

Currently I am in the process of completing my GCSE'S and later in life hoping to study English at a Russel Group university, but I am worried about hindering my ability by taking a less varied selection of A levels.

I have chosen the following:

English Literature

Psychology

Religious Studies

And potentially Biology (dependent on whether I get my predicted 8 A's to A*'s)

I appreciate the fact that 3 A Levels with good grades as opposed to 4 with mediocre grades are preferred by university's so would consider taking one only to AS Level.
Original post by bobbobdude
After extensive searching on multiple blogs each appearing to contradict each other, I have resorted to using an online forum to find an answer!

Currently I am in the process of completing my GCSE'S and later in life hoping to study English at a Russel Group university, but I am worried about hindering my ability by taking a less varied selection of A levels.

I have chosen the following:

English Literature

Psychology

Religious Studies

And potentially Biology (dependent on whether I get my predicted 8 A's to A*'s)

I appreciate the fact that 3 A Levels with good grades as opposed to 4 with mediocre grades are preferred by university's so would consider taking one only to AS Level.

These are my exact subjects, all I can say is make sure you are sure about biology as it is a massive step up from GCSE - not necessarily in how hard the content is but just the sheer amount of content. Any questions feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks very much for the prompt response and the advice! Really enjoy biology so hoping to take it forward with me in the future, also taking triple science whitch I have been informed is more adequate preparation for A level than dual award, is this so?

Quick Reply

Latest