The Student Room Group

Ukcat + bmat: Urgent!!!

Hi!
Hope everyone's exams went well. Has anyone started practicing/ downloading UKCAT papers? And......has anyone signed up to Kaplan or has any suggestions/ tips/ advice on how to prepare for the UKCAT + BMAT?
+Rep to anyone who can help :smile: And let me know if I can help with anything in return! Thanks, Alex/ Alice.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by AliceLambert
Hi!
Hope everyone's exams went well. Has anyone started practicing/ downloading UKCAT papers? And......has anyone signed up to Kaplan or has any suggestions/ tips/ advice on how to prepare for the UKCAT + BMAT?
+Rep to anyone who can help :smile: And let me know if I can help with anything in return! Thanks, Alex/ Alice.

Hey Alice, I'm an A2 student having sat UKCAT last year, with two medicine offers, which I mostly give credit to (at least the getting an interview part) my UKCAT score of 3030 overall.

My breakdown was VR 870, QR 800, AR 670 and in the code which the name which the name of escapes me I got 690.

It's meant to be a test of innate ability, but I feel parts are definitely trainable.

I didn't go on a Kaplan course, most of the information I needed seemed pretty accessible from the UKCAT website. The cost was also out of my means. I did however use the Medify website (something like £30 for a month) purely for the huge amount of practice questions it gave, and a very similar interface compared to the actual test.

I also used a book, 800 UKCAT questions, for more practice, although I found Medify more useful.

Honestly though you can't 'buy' a good UKCAT score, my advice is practice hard for the two weeks leading up. Practicing now probably isn't the best idea, as you'll be using questions that are better applied closer to your exam date. I would book the date slightly before you go back to school (I did mine the week before) so you aren't sat worrying at school about it, you can focus on your lessons and you have some quality revision time at the end of summer.

I can't really help with BMAT, as I didn't apply to any BMAT courses or take the test. I would however say that you probably shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket by taking only BMAT, as the date is after the UCAS deadline, so you won't be able to tailor your choices if your score isn't quite what you wanted.

Feel free to message me with any questions!! I'm more than happy to help
Reply 3
Original post by Hlw18
Hey Alice, I'm an A2 student having sat UKCAT last year, with two medicine offers, which I mostly give credit to (at least the getting an interview part) my UKCAT score of 3030 overall.

My breakdown was VR 870, QR 800, AR 670 and in the code which the name which the name of escapes me I got 690.

It's meant to be a test of innate ability, but I feel parts are definitely trainable.

I didn't go on a Kaplan course, most of the information I needed seemed pretty accessible from the UKCAT website. The cost was also out of my means. I did however use the Medify website (something like £30 for a month) purely for the huge amount of practice questions it gave, and a very similar interface compared to the actual test.

I also used a book, 800 UKCAT questions, for more practice, although I found Medify more useful.

Honestly though you can't 'buy' a good UKCAT score, my advice is practice hard for the two weeks leading up. Practicing now probably isn't the best idea, as you'll be using questions that are better applied closer to your exam date. I would book the date slightly before you go back to school (I did mine the week before) so you aren't sat worrying at school about it, you can focus on your lessons and you have some quality revision time at the end of summer.

I can't really help with BMAT, as I didn't apply to any BMAT courses or take the test. I would however say that you probably shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket by taking only BMAT, as the date is after the UCAS deadline, so you won't be able to tailor your choices if your score isn't quite what you wanted.

Feel free to message me with any questions!! I'm more than happy to help

Would you say practicing solely using Medify will give me an excellent chance of scoring above 2800? If not, what other sources do you suggest I should get?
I got a score of 827.5 using only medify - genuinely the best resource out there - matches the actual test and really well priced.

Quick Reply

Latest