The Student Room Group

Student lets broke contract, any help

Hi,
My student lets company have been terrible; they never get anything fixed, we never received garage keys, they didn't give us appropriate notice for house viewings and they are generally just crap. But our contract was due to end at the end of July (thus we have to pay for July) and some of us wanted to stay until it was up. However, my housemate just phoned up to pay for June and they told her that some people are moving in in the first week of July so we have to be out! This has completely messed up some plans and they haven't even had the courtesy to send the rest of us an e-mail to tell us. I really do not want to pay for June now since they have messed up about. Anyone have any advice or tips? Any help would be much appreciated :smile:
Original post by amyy92
Hi,
My student lets company have been terrible; they never get anything fixed, we never received garage keys, they didn't give us appropriate notice for house viewings and they are generally just crap. But our contract was due to end at the end of July (thus we have to pay for July) and some of us wanted to stay until it was up. However, my housemate just phoned up to pay for June and they told her that some people are moving in in the first week of July so we have to be out! This has completely messed up some plans and they haven't even had the courtesy to send the rest of us an e-mail to tell us. I really do not want to pay for June now since they have messed up about. Anyone have any advice or tips? Any help would be much appreciated :smile:

I would speak to CAB or shelter but you shouldn't have to pay for when you aren't living there so personally i wouldnt pay.
you don't have any standing to withhold rent you are due to pay regardless of what your landlord does or doesn't do, it doesn't matter if they break contract

if they don't give you notice on viewings don't let the people in and if they insist kick up a huge fuss in front of them about having no notice and they will soon clear off

check your contract for how much notice you have to have from the landlord if they end your contract (since it's meant to end in July) as it may be they haven't given enough notice and can't get you to leave
Well since its meant to end at the end of july just don't leave. Pay the rent and stay. They can't legally make you leave.

It's not your problem when the new tenants turn up with their stuff at the start of july expecting to move in. It's your letting agents problem to sort them out for a month.
Look at your contract. What does it say about length of tenancy? If it's a fixed term what is the date it ends on? And is there a break clause? If it's not fixed term then what notice do you need to be given?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending