Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Student Finance on Placement

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Basically in 2013 I started a degree and subsequently dropped out because I didn't like the course. I have since paid back all of the maintenance loan and grant back to student finance that I owed from the first payment in September 2013.
    In September 2014, I started another undergraduate degree and I have just finished my second year. As part of my degree I have the option to undertake a year long placement in industry and I have found such a placement. Now I know I'm only entitled to one more year of funding (because in 2013, the ~6 weeks I spent at University were classed as a full years worth of funding by SFE) as I know overall it's only 4 years of funding overall that are available. Therefore 2 years at new uni and what SFE classed as 1 year at old uni = 3 years of funding so I've only got one year of funding left.
    I was just wondering how I go about applying for student finance this year, as I don't want any money from Student Finance this year as I have saved enough from part-time jobs to be financially secure until I commence my third year of University in September 2017. However, I still need my final year of funding in order to pay my tuition fees and living costs to finish my final year of University in 2018.
    Any advice is appreciated,

    It's length of course +1 - previous years course.

    You don't have to apply. You do need to be aware that your uni may charge you some tuition fees whilst on placement.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 9, 2016
Would you rather find
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.