The Student Room Group

a level sociology

hi I am struggling writing the 18 mark question 'assess the view that that the mass media represent many groups in stereotypical ways' can anyone help? thanks
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Hey I wrote this essay and got 15/18 if you wanted to see it

If not, you just choose about three groups that are represented in a stereotypical way in the media (social class, age and disability for example) and write about two short paragraphs on each - so six paragraphs altogether. Each paragraph should argue that whichever group is presented in whichever way. You can use the second of the two paragraphs to critique your original argument, or you could put forward another way in which the group are represented.

Your basic line of argument should be that either those groups are represented in stereotypical ways, or that they are not. Judging from that, my structure would look something like this:

Introduction - outline argument and what you will discuss
Paragraph 1 - social group 1 - is stereotypical
Paragraph 2 - social group 1 - isn't stereotypical
And repeat this for three social groups

Although of course there are other ways you can structure it, I think that's just what I would do! And you can refer to other areas of sociology - I study disability in Unit 4 (stratification), for example.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by elizahughes
Hey I wrote this essay and got 15/18 if you wanted to see it

If not, you just choose about three groups that are represented in a stereotypical way in the media (social class, age and disability for example) and write about two short paragraphs on each - so six paragraphs altogether. Each paragraph should argue that whichever group is presented in whichever way. You can use the second of the two paragraphs to critique your original argument, or you could put forward another way in which the group are represented.

Your basic line of argument should be that either those groups are represented in stereotypical ways, or that they are not. Judging from that, my structure would look something like this:

Introduction - outline argument and what you will discuss
Paragraph 1 - social group 1 - is stereotypical
Paragraph 2 - social group 1 - isn't stereotypical
And repeat this for three social groups

Although of course there are other ways you can structure it, I think that's just what I would do! And you can refer to other areas of sociology - I study disability in Unit 4 (stratification), for example.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Thankyou!!

Quick Reply

Latest