The Student Room Group

Obese Tax

Scroll to see replies

Original post by not_lucas1
what a stupid comment, where did it say that, go on find it or make yourself look like an idiot

It doesnt matter how much i say, the government would decide a sensible amount, enough to make it so obese people cant afford a lot of fatty foods, but not to high so they can still eat a good meal.

There. It doesn't really make sense.

How much does a 'fatty' meal cost compared to a 'good meal'...?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by hezzlington
To accurately measure BF% is time consuming, expensive and requires particular equipment. Impedance is a waste of time.

I agree with you though on the other points.

what costs more, NHS spending on obesity in the long run, or a short term cost that will eventually cause obesity to be lowered, eventually to the point where we no longer have to be measured?
Original post by undercxver

Most people can control their obesity but what about the minority who have medical reasons for being obese?

Which is why I don't think there should be an obese tax :yep:

Although as far as I'm aware, there isn't any medical reason that would straight up make you obese. Those people just have to take more care in watching what they eat
There. It doesn't really make sense.

How much does a 'fatty' mean cost compared to a 'good meal'...?

why didnt you highlight the end part? is it to try and hide it?
Yes but the problem with taxing fatty foods is the average weight person shouldn't have to pay more because of other peoples faults. Someone eating fatty foods constantly would ruin it for others who may only have it occasionally

If you're only having it occasionally, paying a bit more isn't really much of an issue for an average person
why didnt you highlight the end part? is it to try and hide it?

I included it in the quote still...
That doesn't make sense, do we tax smokers just for being a smoker? NO! We just tax them every time they buy tobacco...

The same idea would make sense for adding tax to seriously unhealthy food but the fatties think they're better than us, smokers so we can't :frown:
I find it scary this is a legitimate question
alright lets forget the main question here then, why doesnt everyone else come up with a solution
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
That doesn't make sense, do we tax smokers just for being a smoker? NO! We just tax them every time they buy tobacco...

The same idea would make sense for adding tax to seriously unhealthy food but the fatties think they're better than us, smokers so we can't :frown:

smoking should just be banned all together
Why don't we create an obesity tax that states that if you are obese you must pay this tax, obviously it has to be a significant amount, not too expensive though. I believe this would help reduce obesity. The way around distinguishing who is obese and isn't is by forcing everyone to have a regular checkup at the doctors every year or so. Those who do not comply are automatically charged and those obese must pay the tax.
What do you think of this? Don't give me any ******** about how it will hurt peoples feelings, if you're obese you're obese so it would just be stating facts. I want reasons why it would/wouldn't work. And this could be done via BMI tests. Those who say 'what if the guy is just muscular but has a BMI of over 30?' or something along those lines, I'm pretty sure a doctor can distinguish between an obese and muscular person, if not they need sacking

I'm completely unconvinced by this. First of all, if you're going to start charging people for being obese then I can think of a truckload of other unhealthy or risky behaviours that you'd be just as justified to 'tax' for. There's nothing special about obesity. Of course we should encourage people to eat healthily but I don't get why obesity, of all the millions of behaviours that increases your health risk, deserves a tax and none of the others do. If you're going to call for an obesity tax then you should call for a red meat tax, a watching TV tax, a not-eating-your-five-a-day tax, a sky-diving tax, a cycling-in-london tax, etc. Secondly, it would disproportionately hit the poor.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Plagioclase
I'm completely unconvinced by this. First of all, if you're going to start charging people for being obese then I can think of a truckload of other unhealthy or risky behaviours that you'd be just as justified to 'tax' for. There's nothing special about obesity. Of course we should encourage people to eat healthily but I don't get why obesity, of all the millions of behaviours that increases your health risk, deserves a tax and none of the others do. Secondly, it would disproportionately hit the poor.

how many poor obese people do you know? secondly, look what i put above. Also someone mentioned earlier we could charge more on health insurance, doesn't necessarily have to be a tax
(edited 7 years ago)
alright lets forget the main question here then, why doesnt everyone else come up with a solution

Let those who want to be fat, be fat.

So that those of us who do actually train hard/go to the gym stand out and look great.

Spoiler

what medical reasons?

Thyroid can lead to fluctuations in weight. I'm sure theres more this is just one example I am aware of.

Original post by Zargabaath
Which is why I don't think there should be an obese tax :yep:

Although as far as I'm aware, there isn't any medical reason that would straight up make you obese. Those people just have to take more care in watching what they eat

Some medications lead to obesity. As I stated above thyroid is a medical condition that leads to quick changes in weight. I'm not aware of any other but I'm sure there's more. :K:
Let those who want to be fat, be fat.

So that those of us who do actually train hard/go to the gym stand out and look great.

Spoiler

Im surprised a feminist hasnt jumped in this thread and said that
smoking should just be banned all together

Then so should alcohol and unhealthy food...

Everyone should be allowed to have a vice
how many poor obese people do you know? secondly, look what i put above

I don't really see what the number of poor obese people I know has to do with anything, the obesity rate is pretty much constant across income categories.
Original post by undercxver
Thyroid can lead to fluctuations in weight. I'm sure theres more this is just one example I am aware of.

Some medications lead to obesity. As I stated above thyroid is a medical condition that leads to quick changes in weight. I'm not aware of any other but I'm sure there's more. :K:

Overactive/underactive thyroid won't cause obesity. If you consistently eat well/exercise to the best of your ability, even with a messed up thyroid you won't be obese.
I don't really see what the number of poor obese people I know has to do with anything, the obesity rate is pretty much constant across income categories.

my point is you probably know less than 3 poor obese people, if any at all. I know of none

The obesity rate increase is constant across all income/education cohorts, but not the obesity rate itself. The richer/more educated you are, the less fat you'll most likely be according to the stats.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending