The Student Room Group

Obese Tax

Scroll to see replies

Original post by not_lucas1
This was discussed earlier, if its genetic is a completely different story. Read the other pages before you post again. As someone pointed out as well, if you exercise regularly how would you be obese?

Ok but I didn't read the other pages, doesn't make a difference. That was my initial reaction. How can one help being lazy? Not everyone is blessed with a fast metabolism. Many people enjoy appreciating good food and relaxing like most of the time.
Original post by Mrs.Grey
Ok but I didn't read the other pages, doesn't make a difference. That was my initial reaction. How can one help being lazy? Not everyone is blessed with a fast metabolism. Many people enjoy appreciating good food and relaxing like most of the time.

It doesnt require a fast metabolism to lose weight. I appreciate food, especially bread, am i obese? No, because i exercise as well
I've always thought laws implicated to make those who smoke themselves and people who are able to control their mass but don't choose to do so pay a tax would be nice. It'd take a load away from the NHS for treating cancers that may occur through the smoking, alongside removing benefits from those with obesity who claim to be unable to control it and instead would make them pay for their own transport and such. Call it discrimination or unfair but it isn't fair for taxpayers, presumably at the least, to pay for a person who chose to smoke and chose to have an increased risk of cancer.

You could always add a question paper that asks how many cigarettes a person smokes on average per year, or ask a person whether they have any psychological issues that lead to binge eating and/or drinking such as bulimia, and if the issues with the person are found to be in their control such as the option of smoking or the option of eating five portions of McDonald' per day, then they should have treatment charged at some level of cost. Of course screening would need to be done to determine whether or not it is in their control, however it'd overall probably lower costs. I don't really know, but that's just what i'd think would be sensible to do. People should definitely be charged for missing an appointment with their practitioner, whether or not they chose to have their conditions or not it's just rude and a waste of time for the doctor.

On the topic of obesity though, of course the cost of food can affect a persons diet. It's sad that healthy food costs more than a pile of muck from the local fast food eatery, so it's not entirely the fault of the person who consumes it. They might simply not have the money to afford good food. The counterargument however is that you can budget out your money and easily afford healthy food, and frankly I go along that argument. An avocado at Tesco can cost a few pounds whereas the local market sells a large bushels worth of them at a fraction of the cost; same goes for any food you could want, you can always just buy a 50 pound bag of rice in a sack versus a kilogram at your local store.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zargabaath
No it shouldn't be taxed imo, fat people pay taxes towards the NHS already.
However i think fast, fatty food should be taxed additionally to discourage people buying it regularly and to also help towards the cost of obesity to the NHS

Lmao someone in US tried that and everyone basically protested so it didn't go through and now they're fat ****s but I personally think it's a good thing like you want more, pay more? Dunno.
It doesnt require a fast metabolism to lose weight. I appreciate food, especially bread, am i obese? No, because i exercise as well

Yeah hence why I mentioned relaxing most of the time as well.
Original post by Mrs.Grey
Yeah hence why I mentioned relaxing most of the time as well.

There's a difference between relaxing and sitting on your arse all day eating fatty foods
Why don't we create an obesity tax that states that if you are obese you must pay this tax, obviously it has to be a significant amount, not too expensive though. I believe this would help reduce obesity. The way around distinguishing who is obese and isn't is by forcing everyone to have a regular checkup at the doctors every year or so. Those who do not comply are automatically charged and those obese must pay the tax.
What do you think of this? Don't give me any ******** about how it will hurt peoples feelings, if you're obese you're obese so it would just be stating facts. I want reasons why it would/wouldn't work. And this could be done via BMI tests. Those who say 'what if the guy is just muscular but has a BMI of over 30?' or something along those lines, I'm pretty sure a doctor can distinguish between an obese and muscular person, if not they need sacking

How much would it be?

You would put extra burden on the NHS as you got GPs to carry out the extra checks. Not everyone has an annula health check, so that would require extra resources to administer.

It would be unpopular with the people you decided to tax, but like the poll tax was. the government was elected on 36.2% of the people who voted. Such a move being targeted at 24.9% of all potential voters (more people than elected the govt) could cause them to vote another way, so it would be hard to get through parliament..

I like your tax and sack no nonsense agenda. A winner indeed.
Original post by 999tigger
How much would it be?

You would put extra burden on the NHS as you got GPs to carry out the extra checks. Not everyone has an annula health check, so that would require extra resources to administer.

It would be unpopular with the people you decided to tax, but like the poll tax was. the government was elected on 36.2% of the people who voted. Such a move being targeted at 24.9% of all potential voters (more people than elected the govt) could cause them to vote another way, so it would be hard to get through parliament..

I like your tax and sack no nonsense agenda. A winner indeed.

yes but the burden on the NHS would be short term as eventually obesity wouldn't become a problem anymore if this solution worked
yes but the burden on the NHS would be short term as eventually obesity wouldn't become a problem anymore if this solution worked

Waht do you class as wroked. Assuming you got it through parliament.
Would you be taxing underweight people as well?

It would be ok to have a BMI of 29.9?
This is such a stupid suggestion that I'm laughing.
Less money for the unemployed that are not really trying to get a job would be good.

But as for weight I would rather having a higher tax on Sweets, £1 for 2 600 Ml of Pepsi 60p for chocolate and everything unhealthy is so cheap, it should cost more.
Let's be honest, there is absolutely no excuse for being obese unless its a medical reason, all it takes is exercising on a regular basis

The thing is if you're working for around minimum wage 9-5 5-6 days a week and on top of that have to compute at least an hour a day, or have children to look after etc. (Eg. You have a busy and stressful life like most people) Finding time, money and the motivation to exercise regualarly is not always going to be realistic
Original post by Nurne
It would be more precise if done by body fat percentage. However, I don't think there should be an obesity tax. Rather they should have to pay for such things as bariatric surgery and a gastric bypass instead of it coming out of NHS funds. Or make them pay an increased rate of national insurance along with other people with increased health risks due to lifestyle choices such as smokers. However, a standalone tax on obesity would be hard to pass as it would appear discriminatory and thus MPs would oppose it. It is easier to integrate the increased charge with changes to the NHS such as those done by our current government.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bariatric surgery probably saves the NHS money in the long run. Better to pay for it than treat an obese person for 10 years.
Reply 73
Original post by hezzlington
Fresh veg is really perishable and you have to buy lots.

This is why we have something called fridges and freezers, also you may have heard of vacuum packing food its only been out since the 1940s

yeh but is a chocolate bar or packet of crisp going to fill you? you'd have to buy several before you get anywhere near a what you'd feel from a meal

yes it will fill you up lucas1 but it will fill you up fit saturated fats and artificial flavours (crisps) and sugar(chocolate)
Original post by NOT_AGUY
This is why we have something called fridges and freezers, also you may have heard of vacuum packing food its only been out since the 1940s

yes it will fill you up lucas1 but it will fill you up fit saturated fats and artificial flavours (crisps) and sugar(chocolate)

You get your vegetables vacuum packed?

(Serious question - I'm interested in Sous Vide cooking, you can get the vacuum packers for like £50)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 75
Original post by hezzlington
You get your vegetables vacuum packed?

(Serious question - I'm interested in Sous Vide cooking, you can get the vacuum packers for like £50)

yh just google vacum packing and you can get from tesco for like 60 or online for like 40 pounds
we have VAT.... why not FAT ?

:holmes:
Reply 77
1. Obesity is often associated with mental health issues with many seeking food as a comfort or just out of boredom. To reduce obesity in this sector just invest in mental health which the government has cut funds for to unsafe levels.

2. At the moment refined high energy dense foods are far cheaper than fresh produce and also is more convenient as it doesn't go bad as quickly. To solve this a tax on processed foods simply wouldn't be enough. Fresh produce must be subsidised. Maybe using the funds from the processed foods tax.

3. Someone said that body fat percentage is expensive to measure. It isn't, go to your local Boots it only costs 20p extra in addition to finding your BMI. This is done using age, gender and passing an electric current from hand to hand through your body.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NOT_AGUY

No, it really doesn't fill me up
In many cases, I doubt the tax would help.

You see those who are obese who - even following a diagnosis of Diabeties Type 2 - continue to eat themselves into amputation, death. They don't stop eating, even when faced with death, because in many cases, there's an underlying problem there. A tax wouldn't work in the same way I don't believe fat-shaming aids a person in losing weight - it's not about simply not eating, there's something - especially in those who have reached obesity levels that put the most strain on the NHS - that's making them eat.

A start would be tackling that instead, in my opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending