The Student Room Group

How can I get more UCAS points?

Hi all,

Almost at the end of my first year of A levels and I've come to the realization I won't have enough UCAS points to get into a decent uni(I'm only doing 2 a levels). Does anyone know any ways I can get more UCAS points?

Thanks.
Original post by RodJM
Hi all,

Almost at the end of my first year of A levels and I've come to the realization I won't have enough UCAS points to get into a decent uni(I'm only doing 2 a levels). Does anyone know any ways I can get more UCAS points?

Thanks.

It depends what you want to apply for, in some cases a foundation year could be a better bet.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
It depends what you want to apply for, in some cases a foundation year could be a better bet.

Looking at a business course (not sure of exact one), and I'm doing business a level. Is there a difference when applying for a foundation course (apart from not necessarily needing to have done that subject previously?).
Extended Project is an easy way to get up to 70 points with an A*
Original post by RodJM
Looking at a business course (not sure of exact one), and I'm doing business a level. Is there a difference when applying for a foundation course (apart from not necessarily needing to have done that subject previously?).

What's the 2nd a level you are doing and what are your expected grades? It's basically another year to get you up to speed to start the degree.
Original post by RodJM
Hi all,

Thanks.

Is there any possibility of taking a third A level next year and the year after?

3 A levels over 3 years is going to give you a lot more options/choices than an extra AS, EPQ or foundation year.
Reply 6
What's the 2nd a level you are doing and what are your expected grades? It's basically another year to get you up to speed to start the degree.

physics, we haven't got our predicted grades yet, we're getting them next week. I think I'm gonna get a B in bus C in physics. maybe better(or worse), depends how the exams I'm doing this week go.

Original post by PQ
Is there any possibility of taking a third A level next year and the year after?

3 A levels over 3 years is going to give you a lot more options/choices than an extra AS, EPQ or foundation year.

Should probably note, I made a major error and stayed at the same school I did my GCSE's at, and they are mainly do IB, and only reintroduced A levels this year after not doing them since a few years after AS's were introduced. I don't think I will be able to leave this year, and I'm pretty sure they don't do extended project.

so, no. I would be doing 3 a levels but they didn't offer any 'easy' ones and was limited to which ones I could do cause time table clashes etc, so I ended up failing my 3rd subject terribly.
Original post by RodJM
physics, we haven't got our predicted grades yet, we're getting them next week. I think I'm gonna get a B in bus C in physics. maybe better(or worse), depends how the exams I'm doing this week go.

Should probably note, I made a major error and stayed at the same school I did my GCSE's at, and they are mainly do IB, and only reintroduced A levels this year after not doing them since a few years after AS's were introduced. I don't think I will be able to leave this year, and I'm pretty sure they don't do extended project.

so, no. I would be doing 3 a levels but they didn't offer any 'easy' ones and was limited to which ones I could do cause time table clashes etc, so I ended up failing my 3rd subject terribly.

In that case I would recommend moving to a different college in the autumn and resitting yr 12 from scratch.

University entry isn't a game where you rack up points and get entry. Most universities will want you to have 3 A levels (or the equivalent btec - worth looking into if you're interested in business courses).

There are other options but you'll be severely limiting your choices if you don't have a full set of A levels. The other options are something that would be worth looking into if you were approaching the end of yr 13 - at your point you're much better off restarting yr 12 at a college that can actually provide you with the qualifications you want to do instead of treating you like an afterthought or an experiment.
Original post by RodJM

Do you know if your schools timetabling would allow you to do one a level in 1 year or are you happy to do something as a private candidate? You might not have enough ucas points even for foundations years depending on your as grades.
Reply 9
Do you know if your schools timetabling would allow you to do one a level in 1 year or are you happy to do something as a private candidate? You might not have enough ucas points even for foundations years depending on your as grades.

I think I'd be up for doing it as a private candidate, well if I don't it's gonna affect me in the future.

And about the timetable, I do have a lot of gaps, maybe I'd be able to organise something with the school.

And been considering leaving for 2 terms now, I need to discuss this soon before it gets too late though, do you know when the normal date for latest point I can apply for a normal college? Struggling to find info on it right now.
Original post by RodJM

if u was happy to do the degree online, essex uni will accept u for an online course without the UCAS points, but i cant speak for a brick & mortar course
Reply 11
I assume it's also a bad idea to rely on clearing and/or attempting to write a really good personal statement when I'm under the minimum requirements?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending