The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Language B 14th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Thanks for the help guys :smile:
Does anyone know how you can find out in a text if a word is borrowed? Any tips on this, as you don't know what could come up.
Any predictions on the texts we could have for the exam?
Original post by Gal cool
Does anyone know how you can find out in a text if a word is borrowed? Any tips on this, as you don't know what could come up.

Hi there. It should be quite obvious hopefully.
For instance, the word 'vodka' is quite obviously not English and therefore borrowed. The same for 'judge' and 'opera' which are derived from French I think. You will hopefully be able to tell. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please help!

We have only been told to learn Q1 and therefore only practised Q1. We've heard they may not even give a speech question. They may only give us a reading question. I have not practised or revised any of the content for the reading question. What should I do? I am totally confused.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by deano321
Please help!

We have only been told to learn Q1 and therefore only practised Q1. We've heard they may not even give a speech question. They may only give us a reading question. I have not practised or revised any of the content for the reading question. What should I do? I am totally confused.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They will definitely give you a speech question, there are always two questions: one on speech, and one on writing OR reading. The first question is always on speech.

Don't worry!! :smile:
Original post by deano321
Please help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

We have only been taught the content for Q1 too, our teacher didnt touch on the reading section at all. You only need to know the content for one so don't worry! The exam is always set out exactly the same
Original post by elsierose
They will definitely give you a speech question, there are always two questions: one on speech, and one on writing OR reading. The first question is always on speech.

Don't worry!! :smile:

I'm in the same position, I have only revised speech. Today I looked through all the past questions ever asked and in 2011 they only asked about reading or writing, there was no speech question and now i'm worried they might do it again.
Original post by Tamaras23
I'm in the same position, I have only revised speech. Today I looked through all the past questions ever asked and in 2011 they only asked about reading or writing, there was no speech question and now i'm worried they might do it again.

I've just looked up June 2011 and one question was speech and the other was
Writing
Original post by Lulu1609
I've just looked up June 2011 and one question was speech and the other was
Writing

I think it was in the Jan 2011 paper.

Aquisition will probably be on q child in the telegraphic or post telegraphic stage as there is more data to analyse
Original post by Tamaras23
I think it was in the Jan 2011 paper.

Sorry, you're right!

I was taught all 3 acquisitions but speaking is by far the easiest.
If this happens I would just say you can still use theorists you'd use for speaking.
Ohhhh God , so what are people doing? Praying there will be a spoken question ?😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's always a spoken one, and then either reading or writing. I'm personally just revising spoken as it's the easiest
I was taught all three but I'm just revising speaking as it's my favourite and I don't want to waste time revising something that I won't do (just really hoping it's a good transcript haha)
Reply 53
I've only revised speaking too, theres so much more to write about than writing or reading and I'm pretty sure there'll definitely be a transcript for speech. Even the one in 2011 was speech it just had aspects of reading in it by the parents, the child in the transcript didn't read a word.
How hard is to get a grade B in this exam?
How hard is to get a grade B in this exam?

Well last year a B started at 59/96 so hopefully that is do able

Hi! You can usually see borrowing patterns from affixes, silent letters or final consonants.

French + Latin
- prefixes: 'pre', 'pro', 'con'

Germanic
- usually spelling/consonants like 'dge' + 'tch'

Greek
- usually silent letters like (p)sychology + (p)neumonia are all derived from Greek!

Words to do with science or religion are also mostly from Greek + Latin!

Generally if something looks or sounds French, Italian Spanish etc and I'm not sure which one it is, I'd label it as a latinate borrowing, since they've all derived from Latin - not sure if it will always work, but if all fails I try to throw something in last minute.

Here are some of my revision notes. Good luck everyone :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lulu1609
Hi everyone! I'm doing this exam too.

Have you been taught just speaking acquisition or speaking, writing and reading?

I've been taught spoken, written and reading however I am just focusing on spoken as that's the easiest to analyse.
Original post by hagridhair
Hi! You can usually see borrowing patterns from affixes, silent letters or final consonants.

French + Latin
- prefixes: 'pre', 'pro', 'con'

Germanic
- usually spelling/consonants like 'dge' + 'tch'

Greek
- usually silent letters like (p)sychology + (p)neumonia are all derived from Greek!

Words to do with science or religion are also mostly from Greek + Latin!

Generally if something looks or sounds French, Italian Spanish etc and I'm not sure which one it is, I'd label it as a latinate borrowing, since they've all derived from Latin - not sure if it will always work, but if all fails I try to throw something in last minute.

Here are some of my revision notes. Good luck everyone :smile:

Thank you
Would this mean that pre-modification is a French borrowing? Just an example

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending