The Student Room Group

Swansea University transfer

So basically I've recently just completed my first year studying genetics at Aberyswyth University and to put it in simple terms I hate it there. The uni is terrible, the nightlife horrible and the location is also pretty bad. The only good thing are the people and that's not enough for me to stay. So moving on, I contacted the head of the genetics department at Swansea and asked if I could transfer. He replied saying that I could once my final 1st year results were out and to tell him what they were in order to receive an offer. The results get sent to me on the 30th of June which is out of the UCAS deadline date so he said that if I had good enough results that he'd carry on the application without UCAS. This sounds a little odd to me as I thought it has to be through UCAS? Has anyone else heard of transferring or applying out of UCAS? Also, I buggered up one of my modules due to a friend passing away at the time I had an assignment (the friend also studied at Aber). I did put in a special circumstances form to the uni but they never replied back with an answer and still haven't! (This is why they're so bad). So if it does end up as a failed module what would happen with the transfer? Have I to lose all hope and accept 2 more years of hating uni?
If the head of dept says it's fine then it's fine. You need to chase up the extenuating circumstances form. These things happen (admin losing stuff or forgetting about it). Worst case scenario is ask your referee to talk about it.
Original post by Shaklad
So basically I've recently just completed my first year studying genetics at Aberyswyth University and to put it in simple terms I hate it there. The uni is terrible, the nightlife horrible and the location is also pretty bad. The only good thing are the people and that's not enough for me to stay. So moving on, I contacted the head of the genetics department at Swansea and asked if I could transfer. He replied saying that I could once my final 1st year results were out and to tell him what they were in order to receive an offer. The results get sent to me on the 30th of June which is out of the UCAS deadline date so he said that if I had good enough results that he'd carry on the application without UCAS. This sounds a little odd to me as I thought it has to be through UCAS? Has anyone else heard of transferring or applying out of UCAS? Also, I buggered up one of my modules due to a friend passing away at the time I had an assignment (the friend also studied at Aber). I did put in a special circumstances form to the uni but they never replied back with an answer and still haven't! (This is why they're so bad). So if it does end up as a failed module what would happen with the transfer? Have I to lose all hope and accept 2 more years of hating uni?

It does sound a little odd. I don't see why you can't make an application with UCAS now; you have missed the January deadline for equal consideration, but you can still apply (the final deadline is June 30th). Put your module grades as pending, Swansea should then be able to make you a conditional offer. Check with Swansea but I can't imagine why they wouldn't agree.

Re your possible failed module, you really need speak to a tutor and chase up that special circumstances form ASAP, if you did fail that module then Swansea might not take you. If you can't transfer this year, you should consider dropping out (or temporarily suspending your studies) so that you can apply to transfer next year. I wouldn't advise staying at a university you hate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending