The Student Room Group

Can't Afford Dentist Treatment.

When I was young, I didn't take good care of my teeth at all; a few fair years back I had either a filling or crown (not too sure on terms) applied to my top incisor and during the application my teeth were drilled down. However now the applied treatment has completely broken off on one side and I'm left with a very notice-able hole.
I'm way past the age of free treatment but still in higher education; however my finances are far from promising and sparing the ""up to £25X.XX" is looking very difficult. My self confidence was already 6 feet under and now its to the point that I take note not to smile or laugh in any situation where I'm not alone.

Are there any avenues of funding available or do I just have to tough it out and save up?
I assume you've filled in a HC1 to see if you can get help with dental treatment? And do you have a student overdraft / bank account?
Reply 2
I'm not applicable for assistance under HC1; I do have a student overdraft and may have to resort to using it instead.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not applicable for assistance under HC1; I do have a student overdraft and may have to resort to using it instead.

See if private dentists offer finance or den plans so you don't have to pay it all out in a lump sum.
Reply 4
When I was young, I didn't take good care of my teeth at all; a few fair years back I had either a filling or crown (not too sure on terms) applied to my top incisor and during the application my teeth were drilled down. However now the applied treatment has completely broken off on one side and I'm left with a very notice-able hole.
I'm way past the age of free treatment but still in higher education; however my finances are far from promising and sparing the ""up to £25X.XX" is looking very difficult. My self confidence was already 6 feet under and now its to the point that I take note not to smile or laugh in any situation where I'm not alone.

Are there any avenues of funding available or do I just have to tough it out and save up?

Are you getting that number from NHS? Seems high to me. Most expensive treatment is £233.70 (band 3) and that's only for crowns (though it sounds like that may be what you need).
Here are the bands from the NHS website (http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/dentists/Pages/nhs-dental-charges.aspx)

Spoiler

Some dentists have a system to help people afford things or you may have to ask somebody (or a bank) for a loan.
It may be that you have to save up in which case you could try finding some jobs (either actual work or things like lawn mowing, car wash etc), selling some stuff (any old CDs, games, furniture or whatever else you may have laying around). You could also try a site like JustGiving or something where you ask people for money (not sure how they work but some people use them for medical treatment or even new cars.

Good luck. Hope you can get the treatment you need soon :smile:
Reply 5
Band 1,2,3 offered by NHS. £233 is max if eligible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well can't you take an over draft then pay it back later on?. Get a job maybe.
You say you're a student, if you sacrifice a few things here and there you can save atleast £300.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fly with cheap airlines to Poland, and a private dentist there will do the job for 5 times lower price. Seriously, even Hollowood stars go to Polish dentists, because they are as good as in the west and far cheaper. I have very weak teeth, therefore lots of experience with dentists, and from what you write it should cost from 40 to 100.£

Quick Reply

Latest