The Student Room Group

Maths AQA Spec B Calc thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlexMB9
To clear it up these were the answers for the harder questions

The CosA was 132 degrees. (using reverse of cosine rule by re-arranging it)
Algebraic fractions was -0.78 and -2.78
The guy was too tall for the tent (can't remember what I exactly did)
Oh yeah the similar shapes area was where you had to bring the fact it was volume into the question, and cube root it and do things, wasn't just using the ratio they had given you of the length!
Histogram was nice and simple.
The area of the 40x^2 was easy, just divide it by 8 to get the 5x^2 area.
The 49c^2-d^2 was using the method of (7c+d)(7c-d) where -7cd and +7cd cancel each other out nicely.
For the bread types, you know there were ratios of 10 across the breads, 6:1:3, so 130/10 = 13, and then just do 6x13 e.t.c

Hope this clears it up with some of you guys :smile:

cube root it? I said that the linear scale factor was 1.25 (15/12) and so the volume scale factor would be 1.25^3, and then multiplied the volume by 1.25^3 :s-smilie: Is that wrong? :/
Reply 61
What was the answer to x^2 +10x + b = (x-a) - 7? I realy struggled with it..
Reply 62
Original post by Halzy1234
For the bread one I got 78 , 13 & 39

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same! What about the nail and screw question? I think it was linked in to upper and lower bounds
Reply 63
Original post by surina16
20 and 12?

That's what I got and I checked the solutions to ensure the values added up correctly to 180 and 360.

The bearings one involving Pythagoras' Theorem came to 90 km.
Reply 64
cube root it? I said that the linear scale factor was 1.25 (15/12) and so the volume scale factor would be 1.25^3, and then multiplied the volume by 1.25^3 :s-smilie: Is that wrong? :/

That actually makes more sense than mine, this was something I didn't cover in class to an extent so I worked it out. What did you get as your answer if you can remember? Yeah your probs right aha, I'm generally better at trig and algebra.
Reply 65

That's exactly what I did too😱
I think I got 90km (if that was the one with the 2 boats). And for the rectangle I got 180 :smile:

I got 90 degrees first but then I changed it to 120 degress because I couldn't really give 90 to two significant figures so I changed it.:redface: Then for the rectangle I got something in the thousands but lots of people in my school got 180. I don't know how people worked it out. I just figured out that x=36 and then substituted it in so I got the wrong answer.:frown:
How did u do the bounds question
Reply 68
Original post by dikshaun
How'd it go!

I got everything except the second last algebraic fraction, and the factorise 49(c-d) one.. anyone get them?

I think the answer was (7c-d)(7c+d)
Reply 69
just times everything by 2.5 for first question lmao
Idk right now - it seems to be a 50/50 split between the 2 answers! :biggrin:
And thank you haha but not really (you seem to be way better at maths lmao) :colondollar:

IKR:biggrin: Ur welcome, but it's true.:wink:
Original post by AlexMB9
That actually makes more sense than mine, this was something I didn't cover in class to an extent so I worked it out. What did you get as your answer if you can remember? Yeah your probs right aha, I'm generally better at trig and algebra.

1400*1.25^3 = 2734.375 so I just rounded it I think.
Not sure if it's right either tbh since it's not something we've really covered (they like to do all the harder stuff like vectors and algebraic proof but not the 'easier' topics :colonhash:)
Reply 72
Original post by Jennoooo

Oh god I spent ages. I got 5 and 32 but really don't think thats correct

What did others get?
Original post by Jennoooo

5 and 18
Original post by harry42

I got that too
Reply 75
Original post by harry42

What did others get?

It was 5 and minus 32, because to get to -7 from 25 you have to subtract 32! That's what I got anyway lmao
How do u do bounds
Reply 77
Original post by AlexMB9
It was 5 and minus 32, because to get to -7 from 25 you have to subtract 32! That's what I got anyway lmao

I kept changing my answer from 32 to -32. Cant remember what i left it at in the end!
6 Marker I got something like -2.55 and -0.78 or .7 something
Reply 79
It's 5 and 18

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending